Chapter 61: The Road Less Taken

You felt a wet, warm touch on your face. "Shane, stop it." You reached up and swatted your husband away, only to feel the soft, fluffy face of Pepper, your family dog. You opened your eyes and sat up quickly, surprised by this unexpected morning wake-up call. You looked to your other side as memories of the night before, like being woken up in the middle of the night by your niece, came flooding back to you. You realized that you were alone in your bed, with Pepper waiting eagerly to play with you. The spots where your husband and niece had been were empty.

Where the heck could Jas and Shane be? You thought to yourself as you slowly sat up, stretching your arms. Pepper seemed to have no answers, simply eyeing a pillow you could tell he was dying to chew up. "Come on." You grabbed him, getting out of bed, and walking into the living room before the puppy could find something new to destroy. "Shane? Jas?" You called, only hearing your own echo off of the walls of the empty house.

Maybe Shane had taken Jas home. Probably, after all, she did seem to have a rough night here. You wandered into the bathroom, brushing your teeth and noting your eclectic nightwear. A mix of one of Shane's oversized t-shirts (this particular one happened to be from the Zuzu City Zoo) and an old pair of eggplant-colored pajama pants. Not the hottest ensemble, but comfy. You decided to change into clothes to get ready for the day.

You started towards your bedroom to get dressed, but you couldn't help the concern you felt from the lack of your husband's presence. If he was leaving, he would at least be sure to set out a note stating where he was going. After all, he knew how important that was to you after the time he left in the rainstorm to get your Mermaid Pendant.

Wandering through the living room and kitchen, there was nothing to be found. You could feel the anxiety growing in your stomach, tying itself into a tight knot, but you managed to calm your nerves. You refocused on the task at hand and walked towards the bedroom when you heard the familiar, albeit muffled, sound of Jas' distinct giggle. Your head turned in the direction of the noise, towards the window in your living room. You quickly donned shoes and ran outside, looking for your family.

"You're finally up!" Jas squealed excitedly as soon as you stepped outside. "Look what Uncle Shane got!"

You were taken aback by 'what Uncle Shane got.' Directly in front of your house, in the dirt path of your farm, sat Mayor Lewis' old, rusty, teal truck. Jas was sitting on the back in the truck bed and Shane was casually leaning against the side.

As soon as he saw you, he ran over and wrapped his arms around your waist. "Good morning, baby." He kissed your forehead, holding you close as he softly ran his hands up and down your back. "What do you think?" He gestured to the dilapidated pickup truck with one hand. "Surprise?"

"Surprise, indeed." You laughed, still not sure how to respond. "You bought a truck?"

"Yep." He grinned, leading you closer to it. "This beauty is all ours now." Your husband grabbed a rag from a bucket on the ground and started polishing the hood. "I saved up and bought it from Mayor Lewis."

"Holy cow, how long did it take you to save enough?" You weren't sure how Shane had managed to afford such a large purchase.

"A good bit, but I'll admit that Lewis gave it to me for quite a steal. Only about a quarter of what he should have sold it for. He called it a 'wedding present,' but I'm sure Marnie convinced him." Shane shrugged. "I don't wanna know what she had to do for that..."

You both grimaced, glossing over his reference to his aunt's secret relationship. Jas piped up, nearly falling out of the back of the pickup. "What do you think, Aunt (Y/N)?"

"Yeah, what do you think, Aunt (Y/N)?" Shane echoed his adorable niece, raising his eyebrows to match his high-pitched, joking tone. You loved that he was highlighting the fact that she considered you her aunt. He walked over to the passenger door and opened it, gesturing you inside. "Wanna go for a drive to make up your mind?"