Chapter 53: Final Touches

"Where could it possibly be?" It was the day before your much-anticipated wedding to your beloved fiancé, Shane. Everything with your wedding planning had gone eerily smooth, and you were waiting for the hiccup. It seemed to be starting as you and Marnie scrambled to find Jas' lost dress.

"I pressed it this morning, where the hell could it have gone?" Marnie threw her hands up in the air, exacerbated and confused. "It's four in the afternoon, it can't have gone far!"

"Maybe it's still at the Ranch?" You offered before being interrupted by the phone.

Shane grabbed it quickly and answered. "Hello? Shane here." Your house was in absolute chaos as wedding preparations were in full swing. It felt like you couldn't catch a break as you tried to look for the missing dress while listening to what Shane was saying on the phone. "No, Morris, I'm not coming in tomorrow!" Of course, Shane's boss at JojaMart had not taken the news of his quitting well. "Because I quit two days ago, that's why! Don't call me again!" He slammed the phone down before joining you and Marnie in pursuit of Jas's outfit. "Where did she have it last?"

"Speaking of, has anyone seen Jas recently?" Marnie asked. The three of you looked around the farmhouse living room, but the little girl was nowhere to be seen. "Jazzy?" She hollered.

"I'll check outside." Shane sighed, grabbing a jacket and walking out into the brisk day. Jas had clearly inherited Shane's love for animals, and lately, she could be found in your chicken coop or Marnie's barn when she got the chance.

"What in the world!" Marnie asked, throwing her hands up in the air in frustration. "Could it be in your closet?"

"I can look." You shrugged, starting to give up hope. "Why don't you check her new bedroom again? There's so much stuff strewn about, it could easily be under something." The two of you parted ways to keep searching for it.

It only took a few minutes before you heard Marnie call out, "Found it!" A wave of relief washed over you as you rushed out to see her holding the pristine gown in the living room. "It was bundled up in some sheets. It's a little wrinkled, but nothing a good steam can't fix." She smiled, dusting it off.

You were thrilled to see it safe. Jas had picked it out specifically for your wedding. It was a very pale green color with light pink embroidered floral accents. You were honestly jealous, it might be even prettier than your wedding dress. While you and Shane felt that should have a slightly more important role, Jas was utterly insistent on being the flower girl. She had spent weeks "practicing," which entailed throwing any and every object she could find out of a basket while she walked in a straight line. It was adorable, though it often ended in a mess.

"Well, now that the dress is secured, Jas and I should probably get going." She brushed some hair off of her face. "Plus I have to finish frosting the cake. It's going to look great, I can't wait for you to see it!" She looked around. "Is Shane not back yet with Jas?"

You realized it had been a little while since he left, so you decided to go find them while Marnie finished sorting out all of the final wedding details.

You could feel the chill of the air through the thin sleeves of your t-shirt as you went to search for your fiancé and his niece. You first checked the chicken coop, but they weren't to be found. "Shane?" You called, but your voice echoed against the wooden walls, angering your birds. You calmed them before turning to head out to the empty fields of your garden. Still, there was no one to be found.

A strong breeze blew past you, carrying the light sound of voices. You turned towards the direction where it came from, towards the small lake on your property. It was hard to see from so far away, so you started walking in that direction. It didn't take long for the voices to get louder and become recognizable as Jas and Shane's. You tried to listen to what they were saying.