Chapter 25: Flowering Flirtatiously

It was Wednesday the 24th, and you were more than ready for the Flower Dance. You had been practicing your moves for the past couple days and you were so excited to go and finally try on your dress. Marnie had picked it up from Pierre's the night before and you were walking down to the Ranch to get it now. You hadn't told Shane that you were on your way; you and Marnie had decided to surprise Shane once you had the dress on. It was Marnie's idea, so you were sure he would like it.

    You quietly opened the door to the large building. Marnie was sitting behind the counter, but quickly hopped up excitedly when you entered. "(Y/N)!" She whisper-yelled. You rushed over to her. "Shane's in the barn fixing some rafters. He shouldn't be able to hear us, but just in case let's go in here." She guided you to a room behind the counter. You immediately realized it was her bedroom. Spread out on her bed was a perfect, flowering white dress.

    "Marnie!" You gasped when you saw it. "It's beautiful! Thank you!"

    The kind rancher smiled at your joy. "You're welcome. Now I'll leave you to get changed, but Shane will probably be done in the barn soon." Marnie turned to leave, but stopped suddenly. She looked deep into your eyes, and you fold almost see a tear starting to well up. "Thank you, (Y/N), for giving him a chance. And more importantly, for not giving up. You've done more for him than anyone else ever has." She closed the door on her way out and you hurried to put on the dress, her words still ringing in your head. You had assumed that you had affected Shane, but you weren't sure to what extent. Marnie's comment gave you those answers.

    You neatly folded the clothes you had worn over and put on the dress. You didn't know how Marnie had managed it, but the dress fit you absolutely perfect. You looked in her vanity mirror as you ran your hands over the dress. It accentuates your figure in the best ways, and you were sure that Shane's jaw would drop. It was just low cut enough to highlight your chest with a cinched waist and a skirt that practically fell off of your hips. It had been a while since you had looked this good.

    You brushed your fingers through your hair as a last minute adjustment, tried to ignore the purple boxers with a monogrammed 'L' on the bedroom floor, and headed back out to the store.

    You opened the door back to the shop and took a few steps into the room. Marnie gasped in delight as she saw how pretty you looked. "Oh, (Y/N)! You look amazing!" It still looked like she was about to cry. "Shane will be so surprised to see you!"

    As if on cue, the door leading from the kitchen to the barn opened and Shane walked in. His back was to you as he closed the door and called to the house, "Hey Aunt Marnie!" He was holding a tool box in one hand and a basket of eggs in the other that he set on the kitchen counter. He still hadn't looked up to see you. You were getting more and more nervous by the second. "I'm going to go take a shower before the dance!" He yelled again. He was washing his hands in the kitchen sink, still not noticing your presence in the house. "Let me know when (Y/N) gets he-" His jaw dropped as he turned around and saw you anxiously waiting for him.

    All he could do is stare at you. For a second you thought you had quite literally blown his mind. You weren't sure if it was the dress or the fact that you had surprised him by being here (likely a mix of both), but it certainly had the effect you had intended. "Hi." You smiled sweetly as you waved flirtatiously.

    His mouth was still hanging slightly open but it looked like he was coming back to reality. "Aren't you going to tell her she looks nice?" Marnie joked as she watched her flabbergasted nephew's expression.

    "You look nice." Shane mumbled as he finally came back to reality. "Really, really nice." He continued as his voice changed back to its normal cater. He walked over to you, his eyes not breaking contact with your body, and wrapped his arms around you in a big hug. "Yoba, you look good." 

    "Well I'm going to go check on Jas." Marnie muttered, giving herself an excuse to leave the two of you alone. "Don't stain her dress, Shane."

    "Oh! Good point!" He quickly backed away, looking over you to see if he had ruined anything. "I think it's still good." He smiled reassuringly. "I have to go get ready though." He couldn't take his eyes off of you.

    You followed him back into his room and sat down on his bed, waiting for him while he took a shower. You could see the steam billowing from under his ensuite bathroom door. You didn't mind waiting, it was interesting to sit alone in Shane's bedroom. It was a completely different, private side of his life. You were brought out of your trance by Shane emerging from the bathroom. He was nearly naked with a towel wrapped around his stomach that hung down to his knees. You were surprised, but you liked it.

    "Sorry." He mumbled embarrassedly as he started rifling through his closet. "I grabbed the wrong suit before I showered." He held up a blue suit that was obviously way too small. "Can you believe I fit into this when I first moved to the Valley?" He shook his head. "Sorry about the towel, I'll go back in and change."

    You didn't know what to say but your mouth responded before your brain as you teasingly replied, "Oh, trust me, I don't mind." You slammed your hand to your mouth as you processed what you had just said.

    "Oh?" Shane responded as he headed back into the bathroom with the correct, larger suit. He whistled two low notes as he closed the door.

    You couldn't help but chuckle to yourself. You were sure you could have come up with a better line, but in the moment that was your go to. Why in the world does Shane like you? You weren't sure, but you were nonetheless happy that he did.

    It was only a couple of minutes before Shane returned in the baby blue suit. His hair was still wet, but he had combed it to look neater. His face wasn't clean shaven, but you could tell he had made an effort to trim and neaten his short beard. "Ready to go?" He held out his arm to you and you quickly hopped off the bed to accept it. The two of you walked into the living room where Jas and Marnie were waiting patiently. They had both dressed up for the occasion and were bursting with anticipation.

    Together the four of you headed down to the Cindersap Forest to enjoy the festival. Marnie and Jas hurried ahead of you, but you and Shane hung back at a slower pace. "I'm kind of worried to see Elliott today." You commented to your boyfriend as the festival came into view. "I know he'll be there, he said he wanted to see his friend Leah here."

    "Hey," Shane whispered as the two of you entered the field where the festival was held. "It'll be okay, I'm here." He wrapped his arm around your waist and pulled you in tightly to his side. "I got you, chickpea. I got you." You smiled warmly into his shoulder and leaned up for a quick kiss.

"It looks like the whole town showed up." You said, changing the subject. There were people dotting the open pasture. "Elliott isn't here, though." You said, scanning the grassy field for his signature flowing red hair.

"Neither is Leah." Shane commented.

"Really?" You were surprised. "Elliott had made it sound like she would be."

"Eh, she's probably off with him now. She's kind of the only friend he has." Shane explained as the two of you walked towards a large buffet table set up at one end of the field, next to the river and some shade trees.

You felt bad, you knew Elliott was lonely. "That's kind of sad, to only have one friend."

"I mean, before you moved here, that was one more than I had." Shane shrugged.

Your conversation was interrupted by Gus greeting your boyfriend. "Shane!" The jovial bartender smiled. "How are you? We've been worried, you haven't been to the Saloon in weeks!"

    "Sorry, Gus." Shane smiled. "I've, uh, been trying to cut back a little." Shane smiled hopefully at you.

    Gus looked up and down between Shane and your faces as your boyfriend smiled at you. "Ah, I see." He chuckled to himself as he headed back to the buffet. Shane merely shrugged his shoulders in response.

    The two of you mingled around a bit, but mostly focused on each other. You were nervous for the flower dance, but your confidence was boosted everytime that you remembered you would be dancing with Shane.

✏️  A/N: Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed! Next Sunday, May 1, 2022 will debut Chapter 26: Dancing Daisies And Daffodils. Thanks! xoxo Kira