Chapter 9: A Rough Morning

For the first time in three days, you woke up to the sun peeking through your curtains rather than the sound of a hammer right outside of your home. Robin hand-finished building your new chicken coop the night before and you were so excited to start your flock this morning. You got out of bed and went to the bathroom to get ready. You tried not to think about Shane as you went about your morning chores, but it was getting harder every day. This morning marked a week since you had seen or heard from him. You had tried calling down to the Ranch a couple of times but Marnie had continually told you that Shane wasn't home. She kept assuring you that she would tell him to call you back when he returned, but your phone had yet to ring. You had considered going to JojaMart or down to the Ranch to see him, but if he didn't want to see you then you didn't need to bother him.

However, you needed some baby chicks to start your chicken flock and Marnie was the area's only breeder. After you finished your morning gardening and preparing your coop for the baby birds, you changed into some clean clothes. You knew that your chances of seeing Shane today were slim, but you still wanted to look your best on the off chance that you did.

You grabbed your pack and coin purse before venturing out into the clear Sunday weather. The next day would mark the two-week anniversary of your move to Pelican Town, and you happily reflected on the memories you had made since you had arrived while you walked the short trip to the Ranch.

As you reached to open the door to the store, you heard loud noises coming from inside. You walked in and heard Marnie's crisp, low voice yell, "Shane? I'm coming in!" which was followed by the sound of a door opening and footsteps, then a loud, "Oh dear..."

You knew it wasn't any of your business to invade on their family affairs, but you had become desperate to hear from Shane and your curiosity got the best of you. You followed Marnie's voice through the kitchen and up into what you guessed to be Shane's room.

The room reeked of beer and was covered in piles of laundry and empty cans. Laying in the center of the room, surrounded by piles of beer cans was Shane, seemingly passed out. Marnie looked at you when you came in, but didn't seem surprised or bothered by your presence. Her features were heavy with worry as she looked at her intoxicated nephew.

"(Y/N)..." The usually cheerful rancher looked at you solemnly. "Can you do something? He's out cold." You thought to yourself about what the best option was but remembered seeing on the news that cold water was the best way to jolt awake a drunk person. You grabbed your small watering can from inside your backpack and poured the cool liquid onto Shane's face.

"Whaa..?!" Shane exclaimed, standing upright immediately. "What the hell?"

"Shane!" Marnie yelled sternly, seemingly snapping out of her gloomy state. Her voice returned to its normal volume as a caring look struck her eyes. "What's the matter with you? All you do anymore is mope around your room and drink beer."

You felt a little awkward to be standing in the middle of their conversation, but you were glad to be here and see Shane, even though he was in a very rough state.

"You wouldn't understand..." Shane mumbled, looking away from his aunt and you.

"I'm worried..." Marnie said, taking a step closer. "What's your plan? Don't you ever think about the future?"

"Plan?" Shane laughed, looking back towards his aunt standing by the door. "Hopefully I won't be around long enough to need a 'plan.'" His last words were cut off by the sounds of tiny footsteps as Jas appeared in the doorway. You hoped she hadn't heard what her godfather had said, but it became quickly apparent that she had understood as she started to sob. She ran away crying as her frazzled aunt followed her out of Shane's room.