Chapter 1: Backstory

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow <3

☾︎ Maeve ☽︎

7 years ago, Kayla Madden.

What do people expect from a twelve year old? Normal people would say things like "play with dolls" or "don't worry, you're still little."

But that wasn't the case in my instance; instead, I faced hatred from others. Most of the time, it was rumors that kept me up at night, one after another, and I eventually quit fighting them.

"Don't go near her, she's the daughter of a dangerous man."

"Her last name is Nystrom."

"She's is dangerous like her father."

Everywhere I went, I heard the same things, so they weren't exactly new. Is it my fault that my family is dangerous? I mean I didn't ask for it. 

There was no reason to be frightened of me because I wasn't even dangerous, and even if I had been, if they had just been nice to me. And just as I was about to lose faith in having a true friend, she appeared.

The new girl entered the class, she was gorgeous. Her long blonde hair was hanging loose on her shoulders. The teacher introduced the new girl, her name was Kayla?

She made her way towards my seat, people quickly grabbed her hand stopping her from walking any further. "She's very dangerous, her dad is a mafia boss." Here we go, again.

Kayla frowned at them, "Did I say you could touch me?" She glared at the girl who grasped her hand. Kayla kept walking towards my seat with a giant smile.

"Hello, my name is Kayla. What's yours?" She asks, my eyes lit up, she's not scared of me? But what if I scare her away?

"Uh. My name is... Maeve." I mumble, "Maeve, such a pretty name." She grabs her books and places them on the table next to mine,

"Friends?"  She smiles and I can't help but admire her eyes. Her cyan blue eyes are so stunning; when I was younger, I used to feel self-conscious about my green eyes, but not anymore. I pause the racing thoughts in my head and hastily nod. "Sure."

~~~

3 years ago, Ethan White.

I groan as my head is racing with thoughts. I had no idea that I would wonder how it would feel to turn 16 while Kayla had been at my side for the entire four years. She epitomizes what a best friend should be, so to speak.

Even though my father doesn't particularly enjoy parties, he cares about me so much that he planned a large one for me, so I was able to spend my birthday with her and my family. Large events don't appeal to me since they demand conversation, which I find difficult. 

I don't really know their names, but he invited several of our mafia clan members to the celebration. But who cares it's not like I'm going to talk to them.

Kayla insisted on helping me choose a dress for the party though, since she doubts my clothing styles frequently.

People began to congregate in our enormous room for special events after an hour after she dressed me in a black dress I wasn't even aware I owned. My eyes became wider as I observed the sizable crowd of people.

I expected to be the only one dressed in black, but it looks like a funeral rather than a birthday party right now.

I turn around wanting to talk with Kayla only to see her laughing with my twin brother. Damnit Cayden. I'm hoping she's not thinking about developing any feelings for him, not that I would mind. It's just that Cayden is, you know, Cayden.

It was quite hot inside, so I shook my head and went outside for some fresh air. I usually take a longer stroll because I enjoy how calm it is farther from home. 

I suppose having a family that is constantly overly cautious has its own disadvantages.

I was too busy looking at the stars and the moon that I eventually bumped against someone's shoulder...or chest. I don't know.

I briefly closed my eyes as my thoughts quickly went over all the stories I had found on the web. I would appear extremely foolish if I was going to be killed. I should not have gone for a walk. I'm not sure if the stranger is dangerous though as I open my eyes and stare up into his pretty dark eyes.

Why do I like everyone's eyes.

"I'm sorry, are you okay?" His voice speaks gently. Oh he's just a normal boy, my bad. "Yes I'm fine. It's okay." I reply, maybe a little too fast because now he's frowning at me.

"What is a girl like you doing here alone?" I step away from him chuckling, "Can't a girl take walk if she wants to?" His light brown hair is falling over his forehead as he nods and grins. He is pretty attractive, and his features did an excellent job of accentuating him.

I find the courage to speak up, "What is your name?" He smiled and replies, "Ethan, yours?" He asks.

"Maeve, nice to meet you."

Another friend, and although it may sound strange that I'm forming a friendship with a boy I met while out late at night, I think he's very cool.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

Hey everyone, this chapter was mainly focused on her friends and her backstory so you wouldn't get confused later in the upcoming chapters <3

I apologize if the writing sucks, but I promise to write the upcoming chapters as good as possible {I wrote this chapter on the spot so like in 5 minutes}

- Edited - 

- Sabrina A.