Chapter 3: Scene of a Confession

The sounds of people's voices filled the gymnasium.

Yue Zhishi was lying on his side on the ground, his symptoms getting worse. He clearly wanted to breathe in deep breaths of air, but the amount of air that flowed into his body became thinner and thinner. It was as though there was a hole in his chest, the air leaking out with a hiss. Before he could take a single satisfactory breath of air, he had already started to violently cough.

Wang Qian was also very anxious, sensing that the condition of his student's body was truly extremely bad. "Yue Zhishi, what's wrong? Are you okay? Can you talk?" Shifting Yue Zhishi up, he lightly patted his back. "Try to take a deep breath. Slowly."

Just as everyone was unsure about what to do, a person in white burst into this field of light blue, breaking open the huddle of people.

"Spread out. Don't surround him."

The classmates around were all startled — no one expected Song Yu, who had just been speaking on stage, would suddenly appear here at this very moment.

Class adviser Wang Qian was also a bit shocked at seeing Song Yu. He was a student Wang Qian had led before, and back then, he'd found the child quite cold and detached. Song Yu hadn't even had all that many good friends, and he didn't seem like someone who would do a heroic deed no matter how Wang Qian looked at him.

Song Yu knelt down on one leg and half-carried Yue Zhishi in his arms. Yue Zhishi wasn't able to speak anymore by now. Song Yu adjusted the way Yue Zhishi sat, and then took out an inhaler from his own pocket.

See the medicine Song Yu carried with him, Wang Qian was slightly uncertain, and he carefully questioned, "Song Yu, can he take your medicine? I've already called the emergency staff at the school hospital, they'll be here really soon."

"They won't get here on time. This is his puffer." Song Yu was so calm he didn't seem like a student at all; he seemed more like a professional emergency worker. Raising his head, he told the people around them, "Everyone move out a bit more."

He loosened Yue Zhishi's school tie and unbuttoned the top two buttons on his shirt. With Yue Zhishi's neck exposed, Song Yu slipped an arm around his shoulders and steadily supported his head. Song Yu's other hand aimed the inhaler directly at Yue Zhishi's mouth, his movements rapid and smooth. "Yue Zhishi, inhale."

Right now, Yue Zhishi's head was covered with cold sweat. His lips were faintly purple, and he instinctively clutched Song Yu's arms, using all of the energy in his body to suck that vapour of medicine into his lungs.

It had been a long time since his last asthma attack. The feeling of not being able to control his tears and his breathing smashed into him like a wave; his entire mind went blank, but he could hear Song Yu's voice — it was an invisible comfort. 

"Again."

Despite being in the same year for the last two years, it was the first time his surrounding classmates saw such a first aid scene, and they stood dumbly by the side, stunned. Those who were familiar with him knew he had an allergy, but he usually only had rashes. He'd never had such a severe allergic attack before.

The ice-cold medicinal vapour poured into his lungs. Several minutes later, Yue Zhishi's continuously heaving chest returned slowly back to normal, and his breathing finally stopped being so short and weak.

"Do you feel better?" Wang Qian was still quite uneasy. "We'll still send you to the infirmary to rest."

"He needs to be checked." Song Yu took away the inhaler, his gaze also moving away from Yue Zhishi's pale face. He inadvertently saw a packaging bag discarded on the floor, two words printed on top.