Chapter 69: Peaceful Harmony

Yue Zhishi said yes without even hesitating.

He would always give Song Yu what he wanted.

Yue Zhishi's personality was actually one that went with the flow, readily adaptable to anything that happened, and would rarely think about all the possibilities and what-ifs. Because to him, it was cruel to imagine alternatives to his life; things that were already lost to him remained lost. The more beautiful and peaceful things he imagined, the more cruel reality would be — which is why he so calmly accepted his reality of not having parents and accepted his own highly allergic body and asthma that made him unable to do so many things. As long as he accepted things easily enough, the less there would be to regret.

But as he remained in Song Yu's embrace, Yue Zhishi really longed for something different — even if time couldn't rewind back to before he turned three years old, even if he couldn't have his own family again, that was fine too. He wouldn't be greedy; he'd be happy for time to rewind just a little, tiny bit.

If he'd learned of Song Yu's heart just a little earlier, then he wouldn't have left him standing there by himself for so long.

"Say, if we didn't grow up together, would you still like me?" Yue Zhishi asked, nestled in Song Yu's arms. He was reluctant to move away.

Song Yu nodded. "I would."

"Why?" Yue Zhishi couldn't think of many things about him that would move Song Yu's heart, but he pulled out a few reasons he thought were reasonable. "You think I have a decent face and have an acceptable personality, right?"

Song Yu wasn't too satisfied with Yue Zhishi's 'decent' and 'acceptable'. He didn't understand why Yue Zhishi's understanding of himself never seemed to match up with his true self when he'd grown up being pursued and flattered.

"You are the best-looking person I've ever seen, and you have the best personality I've ever met. But that's just a small part of why you shine," Song Yu said very steadily. The exaggerated praise that left his mouth was unusual, but he said the words heavily and with such strength that they left no room to be questioned. "You are a child born to be loved by everyone who sees you. It's natural for me to like you."

And besides, no one else would be like Yue Zhishi — his heart had been given only to him, and he never asked for anything in return as it released light and warmth for Song Yu.

He'd clearly held it in for so long, but Yue Zhishi still ended up crying. Tears rolled down his face, but they fell silently, without noise.

After growing up and becoming an adult, being able to cry had turned into something of a luxury; it was embarrassing and private, and tears could no longer fall at any moment and at any time. They were meant to fall when alone, so that no one would be able to tell they'd cried. It was a basic rule of being an adult: to not create emotional burdens for anyone else.

But to Yue Zhishi, Song Yu was a secret time capsule. In his arms, Yue Zhishi, who was now an adult, could forever be a small child who cried whenever he wanted.

By the time Song Jin came back home, Yue Zhishi had already recovered his relatively mature appearance. He poured tea for Song Jin like a well-behaved child, and they sat together and chatted without a single hint of anything wrong. No matter who looked at them, they looked like a pair of father and son who had nothing they couldn't say to each other.

Song Jin had a habit of bringing home presents for his family no matter where he went, and everyone's gift would be different. It was one of Yue Zhishi's most favourite activities to have everyone sitting around the living room and opening their presents together.