Chapter 5: Appreciation Time Limit

Early dating?

A large pot dropped down from the sky, and it knocked Yue Zhishi senseless. "No..." He frowned, his hand still docilely holding onto that earphone, and he muttered quietly to himself, "I'm not early dating."

He'd even solemnly and seriously rejected her, too.

Curving his head, he once again looked at Song Yu and loudly retorted, "I'm not early dating!"

Song Yu continued to remain silent, and so Yue Zhishi could only ponder by himself. He only understood once he remembered what'd happened in that third floor corridor near the infirmary. "Were you standing underneath the entire time? You've misunderstood, I was giving back the present she gave me."

Other than the girl's details, Yue Zhishi described the entire matter in detail without leaving a single thing out. He was like a child in kindergarten who'd obediently report every day what had happened that day in school — he talked about it vividly and descriptively, worried he'd miss out on some detail.

One of them talked the entire way while the other silently listened. The bike left the broad and spacious roads and entered into winding and circular alleys, approaching its destination as it rode underneath the waves of undulating Chinese parasol tree leaves.

"I didn't even accept her confession. I treated her to a drink because I was worried she'd be upset about being rejected. Besides, I bought her a coke and I also bought Jiang Yuan a coke — but for you, I..."

He suddenly stopped talking at this point. He didn't know why, but the more Yue Zhishi spoke, the more he felt a bit wronged. He thought of the confession wall those girls had talked about during the opening ceremony.

"Didn't someone also confess to you? You know, that Peiya confession wall. I'm going to tell on you too." He was saying threatening words, but they came out of his mouth without any intimidation at all; he even lowered his voice without realising, turning particularly weak and feeble. After a pause, Yue Zhishi said, exaggerating, "The girls in my class were talking about it so enthusiastically. Maybe the entire school's heard about it by now."

The bike braked sharply, Yue Zhishi smacking right into Song Yu's back. They were pressed tightly together, and Yue Zhishi's unfinished final syllable was swallowed right back into his throat.

"The entire school's heard more than just the confession."

Song Yu finally opened his mouth, and he also ordered Yue Zhishi to get off.

Of course Yue Zhishi knew what he was talking about. "I didn't do it on purpose, I wasn't feeling well then. I said it accidentally..." He followed closely behind Song Yu like a little shadow. "What should we do? People around us heard, there shouldn't be anyone who doesn't know by now."

Song Yu didn't offer him any solutions, heading inside after locking his bike.

After explaining so much, it felt like gege hadn't gotten any happier — it looked like he was unhappy because of something else.

The bike was parked in front of a steel grey villa house. A tall magnolia tree was planted in front of the courtyard gate, and the courtyard was meticulously cared for. The house had been built in the European-style popular during China's Republic era, and after it was refurbished, it had been decorated very simply. A massive boulder as tall as a person was placed in front of the entrance, and four characters were engraved onto it: Yanghe Qizhe.

This was a private restaurant Song Yu's mother, Lin Rong, had established as her personal hobby.

Song Yu lifted up the door curtain, Yue Zhishi entering behind him. A guest who'd made a booking was already sitting inside: Grandpa Zhang. He'd been a regular guest since the restaurant opened. He was a retired university professor, and as soon as he saw the two of them come in, he laughed and started to tease, "Xiao Rong, your family's older and younger handsome boys are back."