Chapter 6: A Sudden Heavy Storm

Of course he remembered.

Yue Zhishi had arrived at Song Yu's side at the same time as a sudden rainstorm.

He remembered very clearly. He had been the one who opened the door that night, and the unexpected summer rain had blown in, wetting his hair. His father had carried a child in his arms, coat wrapped tightly around the child. After he came in, he'd knelt down and cuddled Song Yu.

Song Yu had suspiciously pulled aside a bit of the coat. "Who is this?"

The coat's opening had revealed a pair of eyes. They'd looked almost like glass marbles.

"This is your younger brother."

Six-year-old Song Yu gained a younger brother overnight. He was soft and beautiful, and he looked just like the angels in fairytale books. He had brown curly hair and could only speak English in a sweet, childish voice.

Song Yu was the exact opposite of this child. Song Yu never had a lively personality from birth — he never fussed around, but he would also never talk much. Relatives always said he had a bad personality that needed to be changed, but Lin Rong stood up for him, saying his personality resembled her father. She allowed Song Yu to be himself from childhood.

He was very smart, his mind maturing a lot faster than other children. But no matter how mature he was, he was at a loss when faced with a strange child who would take away a portion of his parents' love and care. Song Yu didn't like him at first — but he also didn't hate him.

Most of the time, he just silently observed.

So strange, his eyelashes are so curly.

Why does this small thing find it so hard to speak? He looks a bit dumb.

I couldn't have been this dumb when I was younger, right?

But Yue Zhishi was born cute, and relatives always complimented him whenever they saw him. Those compliments shook Yue Zhishi's impression in little Song Yu's heart. He couldn't help but admit it — Yue Zhishi was cuter than the Pomeranian dog Song Yu wanted to buy.

The third day he arrived, Yue Zhishi suddenly couldn't stop crying, sobbing that he wanted mommy and daddy, his own mommy and daddy. No one could stop his tears.

"Don't cry." Song Yu walked closer, and Yue Zhishi stuck out his arms for a hug once he was close enough. But Song Yu couldn't lift him, so Yue Zhishi wrapped himself around him, sticking to him just like a glutinous rice cake.

"My head hurts from all your crying." Song Yu felt hopeless and said to Lin Rong, "Mom, let's send him back to find his mom and dad. Send him home."

Lin Rong looked at him, wanting to say something but was unable to speak. She ended up coaxing Yue Zhishi into her arms and brought him upstairs, leaving only Song Yu and his father in the living room.

"Xiao Yu." Father Song pulled him over and very seriously said, "That younger brother doesn't have a mom or dad anymore."

Song Yu frowned. He didn't say anything and silently pondered what that meant. Father Song very quickly gave him a clearer answer.

"His parents are gone. He doesn't have a home he can return to."

He understood what "gone" meant.

Song Yu's frown deepened. He looked upstairs before turned back to his father. "Then will he leave in the future?"

Father Song shook his head. "This is his home now."

Adults would always unconsciously think children couldn't understand anything. But in reality, children's compassionate hearts were always larger than adults'. They were the ones who would shelter a stray dog under their umbrellas on the way home.