Chapter 93: Soundless Devotion

Yue Zhishi wasn't in the greatest condition. After the doctor checked him over, he believed that other than the fever, Yue Zhishi's asthma had been mainly triggered by depression and anxiety.

"He can't get so emotional. He's been ill for so many years, you guys should know this by now." As he completed Yue Zhishi's medical notes, the doctor said to Song Jin and Lin Rong, "His nails were still blue from cyanosis when he arrived, it must've been a severe attack. As his parents, you should care more for your child's psychological health. When it comes to an illness like asthma, having a healthy mind is sometimes even more important than having a healthy body."

The two of them continuously nodded. At hearing the word 'depression', Lin Rong's heart squeezed with pain — no matter how hard she imagined it, she couldn't link Yue Zhishi together with that word.

Yue Zhishi stayed in the hospital, and Lin Rong didn't open her restaurant over those next few days. She stayed with him every day and almost never went home; she slept on the small pull out bed in his room at night. Whenever Song Yu came by to switch shifts with her, she would rush him back to campus to finish his graduation thesis.

It was as though they'd returned back to the past, Yue Zhishi more than familiar with these scenes. Lin Rong would chat to him while steadily slicing up fruit: apples and pears were turned into bunnies, pineapples into small fans, and even pomelos were peeled. She'd fill up a plate of fruit and then place it in front of Yue Zhishi with a tiny fork.

Because Lin Rong had been with him, he hadn't hated living in the hospital as a child. He'd only disliked the smell of it.

Lin Rong used to watch anime together with Yue Zhishi in his hospital room, but Yue Zhishi had liked watching shounen series. Lin Rong had kept picking at the emotional storylines, occasionally asking him, this guy and this girl are a couple, right? Do they like each other?

And as a child, Yue Zhishi had replied very solemnly, they don't have the time to date, they need to get stronger.

The current Yue Zhishi more often than not would watch television dramas with Lin Rong. She'd gasp and sigh in appreciation like a young girl whenever she saw something exciting, and then she'd say to Yue Zhishi, your Uncle Song's not so flirty and showy, but he's still very gentle.

For the few days he stayed in the hospital, an idol drama just so happened to be broadcasting. They'd often watch in his room, snacking.

When the male lead manufactured a surprise for the female lead, Lin Rong bit a sweet potato fry in half and then held onto the remainder as she asked Yue Zhishi, her eyes focused on the television —

"Is your brother romantic?"

She asked that question as naturally as though she was complaining about Uncle Song.

But Yue Zhishi froze; they'd cracked open their hearts and had spoken about many things over the last two days, but they'd very tacitly evaded away from the details of Yue Zhishi and Song Yu's relationship. Yue Zhishi had been scared of hurting Lin Rong.

He didn't expect Lin Rong to suddenly ask about it, and even thought he'd misheard.

Seeing there was no response from Yue Zhishi, Lin Rong turned her face around and looked at him, the words I knew it written over her face. "He's not very good at dating, is he?"

Yue Zhishi's face was somewhat burning, and he started to stammer, "Ah, I... gege, he..."

Lin Rong chuckled. "Look at how scared you are. Does he bully you? If he does, you have to tell me."

"No, no." Yue Zhishi was so flustered he almost flipped over the plate of fruit on his blanket. He hurriedly caught hold of it, and then he explained to Lin Rong, ears hot, "Gege's really good, he's particularly tender and really romantic..."