Chapter 8: My Childhood With You

He repeated back to him what Yue Zhishi had said to Cotton Candy last night.

Yue Zhishi didn't know what to feel. Was he laughing at him? He must be, right?

But what Song Yu said wasn't wrong either — he really did make people worry about him.

Yue Zhishi felt a bit sad thinking about it. When Song Yu reached out again with a swab, Yue Zhishi moved back a little and said softly, "I'm sorry."

Song Yu didn't respond to his apology. He only reached out his other arm to grab his chin. "Don't move."

Yue Zhishi really did stop moving after those words. But his thoughts started to wander, and he thought about how in the past, no matter if he had won an award in the speaking contest or if he had been knocked down during a basketball game, Song Yu would've never intentionally come up to him even if he was there. They had very seriously pretended to be strangers.

So now, Yue Zhishi was actually the tiniest bit grateful to his sudden asthma attack during the school opening ceremony that day. It had forced them to expose their complicated relationship and allowed them to openly walk together in the light.

Seeing him sitting there in a daze, Song Yu indifferently asked, "Was it yummy?"

Yue Zhishi was pulled from his thoughts and was convinced by this question that Song Yu was definitely laughing at him.

"I didn't mean to suck up the ink." Yue Zhishi frowned.

Song Yu was reminded of the one time they'd gone to the dentist together. Yue Zhishi had eaten enough candy that his entire mouth was full of cavities, and Lin Rong had brought them to the dentist. As soon as he heard the sound of the electric drill, Yue Zhishi had opened his mouth and started wailing, refusing to let go of Song Yu's hand.

Song Yu continued to clean and calmly asked, "What'd it taste like?"

"Like a cantaloupe." Yue Zhishi continued describing it. "It was sweet at the beginning, but it started tasting a bit weird afterwards, almost like some fever syrup."

He managed to describe it so specifically.

Yue Zhishi spat out some of the taste in his mouth into some paper. "Maybe the ink makers predicted that some people would end up sucking the ink, so they purposefully made it taste sweet?"

Song Yu glanced at him. "If you'd known earlier that pen ink was sweet, would we have not needed to take you to the dentist? If you'd eaten this instead of candy, you wouldn't have gotten cavities."

He was being teased again, but Yue Zhishi completely missed the point. "Did I go to the dentist when I was younger?"

Unbelievable — he'd cried so much and yet he'd completely forgotten about it. Shouldn't it have been something he remembered for his entire life?

"Your childhood memories really are quite blurry," Song Yu said.

Yue Zhishi didn't comment and held onto his wrist. His mouth was full of saliva, so his words were a bit unclear. "So what if they are. Don't you remember everything?"

"Since my childhood was all yours anyway."

Song Yu was slightly stunned.

Yue Zhishi didn't think he said anything strange, his two legs still moving about. His entire body wasn't able to sit still. Song Yu stayed silent, using a hand to press down Yue Zhishi's shaking knees, and carefully used the cotton swabs to wipe off the ink on Yue Zhishi's teeth.

With his knees being held down, Yue Zhishi lowered his head and caught a glimpse of Song Yu's empty wrist. He wasn't wearing the watch he'd given him.