Extra 4: Drawing Nearer to Each Other

"...According to the most recent news from the municipal weather bureau, a red rainstorm warning signal was issued this morning at 7am. A short-term rainstorm, particularly heavy, is predicted to occur, and it'll be accompanied by thunder, strong winds and other local storm effects. Citizens, please look after your safety as you go out today..."

The old television in the breakfast shop was broadcasting that day's weather report. The dusty blades of the fan were humming as they spun, the noise meshing into the sounds of the cicadas in the bushes. Yue Zhishi finished his last bite of his vegetarian soup noodles; his forehead was sweating from the heat. As soon as he raised his head, the restaurant owner sighed, gazing outside the store with his arms by his side. "What terrible weather. It's about to scorch people, and yet a heavy rainstorm's coming. The weather report's talking nonsense."

Yue Zhishi also stood up, and he walked outside, pulling on his schoolbag, and climbed onto his bike. Large, expansive fields of green in both light and dark shades filled his vision, and the wind of midsummer swept over his face and body with humid, hot air, feeling as though it was covering his skin with a layer of film. It was still early morning, and yet the heat harboured within the rays of light was already beginning to show itself — sunlight reflected off the glass walls of tall buildings, and other than the dappled shadows of trees, it turned everything broiling hot and ghastly pale.

It truly didn't feel like rainstorm weather.

Everyone had already long turned on the aircon in the classroom, so Yue Zhishi rushed into the cool room, sweating from his bike ride over. He subconsciously rubbed his arms and sat down, flipping open his books.

His desk mate borrowed his English homework, and he even praised the artwork Yue Zhishi had created for the creative arts festival.

"Thank you." With his head lowered, Yue Zhishi read through his notes, wanting to memorise his texts, but the only thing he could think of was the invitation he'd extended out to Song Yu last night as they'd eaten their late night snack. It was an invitation Song Yu was very unlikely to care about.

It probably couldn't even be considered as an invitation. Drinking his mung bean soup, he'd only casually mentioned that the creative arts festival was going to display a new group of student artwork today, and that his painting was in that new group to be exhibited. But at that time, only Aunt Rong and Uncle Song had displayed an enthusiastic interest in his painting; Song Yu had peacefully sat there and drank his soup, not saying a single word.

Afterwards, Yue Zhishi hadn't been able to hold back, and he'd asked, "Gege, do you have physical education class tomorrow?"

Song Yu had nodded and then had asked him why.

Yue Zhishi had said, no reason. A few seconds later, he found a reason to talk and said he wanted to look at one of Song Yu's textbooks.

"Someone's borrowed it," Song Yu had replied.

He hadn't actually wanted to look at it to begin with, so Yue Zhishi had nodded his head very calmly. "Okay."

He'd only wanted to confirm if Song Yu was going to the physical education class or not.

Because going to the sports ground from the high school department's classroom building required them to pass through the creative arts festival's exhibition site: the small fountain square.

"I think it's meant to rain today." His desk mate had finished copying his homework at an incredible speed, and he gratefully returned Yue Zhishi's exercise book back to him. "Did you bring an umbrella today, Le Le?"

Yue Zhishi came back to attention and nodded. "I always have one in my desk drawer."

"That's good then, but I feel like you won't need to use it. The sun's too strong today."