Chapter 90: Ineffective Desensitisation

The moment he decided to come out to his parents, Song Yu was calmer and more relaxed than he'd imagined himself being.

He contacted Song Jin and Lin Rong, telling them he had something important to talk to them about, and asked if they would be home that night. They answered, yes.

After driving home, it was Lin Rong who opened the door. Her eyes were red and teary, looking as if she'd just cried. A bad feeling grew in Song Yu's heart, but Lin Rong didn't say anything.

"Xiao Yu, you're back."

Song Jin was sitting on the sofa and didn't look at him, only asking why he was coming over so late.

Song Yu first clearly and orderly stated his plans for changing his graduation thesis topic. He was met with Song Jin's questioning. Song Jin said, "Even if Professor Zhang agrees to you switching topics, it's already so late. The semester's about to finish — are you sure there are still professors who'll take you?"

"Which is why I can also push back my graduation. I've had enough of Professor Zhang using my private life to pressure me and to block me from graduating. Even if I stay in his research group, as long as I don't agree with his decisions, he still won't let me successfully graduate. I may as well leave first."

Song Jin was silent for a very long time before saying quietly, "If you really aren't interested in Ms Zhang, we won't force you."

"Not only am I not interested in Ms Zhang, I am not interested in any future Ms Li or Ms Wang that may appear. I may never want to date any girl that everyone thinks is suitable." Song Yu stood ramrod straight. "Dad, Mom, even though you always say I've never disappointed you, I actually can't fulfil the expectations of a son. It's just that I've never been able to tell you."

"I like men, and I already have someone I'm dating." Song Yu openly said, "So I won't create a family with a girl. I can't lie to myself, and I can't deceive and hurt other people. I know your constant encouragement for me to date isn't because you really want me to continue the Song family bloodline; it's just that you think I'm too lonely. But can you guys imagine how painful it would be for a girl to marry someone like me?"

"I won't do something like that, so please give up on those thoughts. Even if I have to live by myself in the future, I can still live very well."

Hearing his words, Lin Rong finally couldn't hold back anymore. She cried as she asked, "Really? Do you really think like that?"

Song Jin grabbed a paper from the sofa, throwing it to Song Yu. The paper, as thin as the edge of a blade, fluttered and swayed as it sliced through the heavy air. It finally landed next to Song Yu's legs.

He lowered his eyes. Seeing the opening, he understood.

Song Jin's voice was trembling, but Song Yu couldn't tell if it was because of anger or grief.

"Song Yu. Don't tell me that the person you're dating... is your brother."

He'd thought he wouldn't feel anything, but cutting open and giving his parents a look at his difficult past as it dripped with blood was truly even more unpleasant than he'd imagined. He was very grateful for his father's teachings; it was what stopped him from saying things like 'don't you feel disgusted'.

"Yes," Song Yu said. "It's Yue Zhishi. But he's not my brother. We have a normal relationship, it doesn't break any laws."

"You're boasting like that? Song Yu, what are you thinking? Other than not being related by blood to you, there's no difference between him and your real younger brother! You watched as I brought him back home!"