Chapter 34: Graduation Memento

Yue Zhishi suspected that as he prayed for the protective talisman, someone else prayed for rain.

In June, Jiang City's rainfall was pretty much measured by the East Lake. Locals would always say: it rained several East Lakes again today. Just by measuring with his eyes, Yue Zhishi conservatively guessed that at least six lakes rained over the two days of university entrance exams. Six was a good number — gege's exams must have definitely gone well.

Song Yu's exam venue was in a very low area of the city, and the water flooded the area until the sunken sports ground almost turned into a lake. Yue Zhishi sat in Lin Rong's car, watching the time. There were less than five minutes remaining.

The rain poured heavily down the car windows. Yue Zhishi couldn't see the outside clearly, so he secretly lowered the window a bit. Parents blocked the school entrance with their umbrellas, and the rain came in through the crack in the window, wetting Yue Zhishi's hair.

Not long after, he saw a tall figure in the distance, carrying an umbrella, and it weaved through the packed crowd of parents to walk in their direction.

"Gege's coming." Yue Zhishi opened the car door as soon as he finished speaking and waved at Song Yu. The heavy rain arrowed into the car, and Yue Zhishi, who was only wearing a short-sleeved shirt, shivered.

Song Yu's footsteps clearly quickened; he bent over to enter the car. He closed the door, locking the rain outside.

The seats were all covered by Yue Zhishi's study materials, so he hurriedly cleared them away to make room for Song Yu.

"Your dad's still in a meeting." Lin Rong pulled out a neatly folded dry towel from her large tote bag and handed it over to Song Yu. "We'll meet up with him later at dinner. What do you want to eat?" Even though she asked, she knew there was an eighty percent chance Song Yu would say he didn't care.

Song Yu placed the drenched umbrella at his feet. "Let's get crayfish."

Hearing this, Yue Zhishi was happier than anyone else. "I want to eat crayfish too."

Lin Rong was a bit surprised — she didn't expect Song Yu would want to eat that. "Okay. I'll let your dad know."

They drove to the restaurant, the rain growing heavier until it even started to thunder. Yue Zhishi's fear of thunder was entirely a physiological reaction: they had just heard the bang of thunder when he started to tremble. It wasn't too bad of a habit when he was younger, but it embarrassed him after growing up and so he tried his best to hold himself back from trembling. Everyone in the car was originally chatting, but because Yue Zhishi was too afraid, he'd already left the conversation.

Song Yu realised this, so he pulled out his exam bag and put it in between them, murmuring, "The thing you gave me was really useful."

Yue Zhishi was very quickly distracted. He turned his head to look at Song Yu's face and very quietly asked, "Really? Do you think your exams went well?"

Song Yu nodded.

Yue Zhishi very quickly cheered up, but it didn't last very long. A peal of thunder struck right as he opened his mouth, and he shuddered again, his voice slightly trembling. "That's too good..."

Song Yu felt he looked a bit cute like this. He lowered his eyes and leaned back into his seat.

Yue Zhishi put on a pair of over-ear headphones and played some rock music, and then he picked up the big bag he'd placed in the corner, placing it onto the left side of his seat. He turned around half his body and started to dig into it, almost his entire body entering the bag as he searched for something.