Chapter 10: Public Sentencing

His senior sister patted Yue Zhishi on the shoulder at the moment he softly sang that last phrase. He didn't realise something was wrong until she pushed away the microphone.

He kept apologising afterwards, but she didn't think it was a big deal.

"Not many people would've noticed it."

Yue Zhishi's stomach growled just as they were taking a break after finishing half the session with another song playing in the background. The senior only then remembered that he hadn't yet eaten and said, "Ah, I forgot to remind you to bring some food." She took out her own dinner from her bag. "Do you want to have some of mine?"

She pulled open the lid. Translucent dumplings stuffed with lamb and carrot, stir-fried prawns and sour and spicy cold noodles laid inside the box — but he couldn't eat any of them. Yue Zhishi declined, "It's okay, senior. I've already asked my desk mate to get me some food."

She thought he was just being polite, so she pushed a fork into his hand. Yue Zhishi had no choice but to admit that he was allergic to most of the food.

He didn't tell her clearly what he was allergic to — Song Yu kept telling him again and again while they were at home not to tell other people the exact details of his possibly life-threatening allergy.

"I see." The senior sister backed down. "I did see you that time during the school opening ceremony. It was so scary, good thing nothing serious happened."

Yes. Good thing gege was there, Yue Zhishi thought.

When the segment finally finished, she stuffed an apple into his hand, Yue Zhishi gratefully taking it.

There were only ten minutes left until the night self-study class started. Pretty much everyone was already in their seats, with only the rostered student for cleaning duties still sweeping the floor. Yue Zhishi rushed into his seat and breathlessly said to Jiang Yufan, "...I'm exhausted."

The person in front of him, Hu Xuan, turned around. "Le Le, we heard your live broadcast earlier!" She gave him a thumbs up and said in English, "Nice!"

Yue Zhishi was initially very happy, but then he slumped onto his desk. "But I committed a big mistake today."

"Hah, we couldn't tell at all."

A boy sitting in the third aisle interrupted and openly taunted, "Who said we couldn't tell? I heard him. Yue Zhishi, did you purposefully keep the microphone on because you think you have a great singing voice?"

Yue Zhishi was a bit confused by this direct attack. He usually had great relationships with people and would never have any grudges against anyone. He didn't understand where this came from.

"Ignore Zhang Chen," Jiang Yufan said. He rolled his eyes at that side of the room. He explained, "He's crazy. He's treating you like that because he likes a girl who likes you."

Yue Zhishi asked, "The girl in class 3-11?"

Jiang Yufan's face was filled with disdain. "Yeah. Don't know how Zhang Chen found out about it. That guy kept running over to class 3-11 earlier and treated the girl like a goddess. Next thing he knows, she's confessing to you instead. It'd be strange if he wasn't angry."

Yue Zhishi actually then turned to Zhang Chen and asked, very sincerely, "Why are you angry?"

Zhang Chen widened his eyes. "Why am I..."

"Are you really hurt about it?" Yue Zhishi asked.

He was honestly very curious. Zhang Chen completely lost his tongue, and Jiang Yufan collapsed in laughter next to him.