I'll Be Okay (1/2) - Jason Todd x Reader, Bruce Wayne & Reader

Words: 6186
Pairing: Jason Todd x Reader, Bruce Wayne & Reader
Featuring: Alfred Pennyworth, Dick Grayson
Warnings: Death, grief, crime-fighting, mentions blood, hurt/comfort
Summary: Five years ago, you lost your best friend. Now, you think he may be back.
Author's Note: This is based on Under The Red Hood. You and Jason were/are the same age and were dating before he died (in freshman year of high school!)

This is another fic for girl-next-door-writes's Bingo challenge! This is for the Hurt/Comfort prompt.

*Edited*

---

BREAKING NEWS

Bruce Wayne's son, Jason Todd, reported dead after a bombing in Sarajevo, Bosnia.

In complete shock and fear, you sat staring at the bat-computer with Alfred when that segment came across all three screens. There wasn't any story yet, as it was just reported, and Bruce hadn't even called either of you. Heck, you were expecting them to come back that night since Bruce found where Jason was! That was the whole reason you were even at Wayne Manor because you wanted to give Jason the biggest hug when Bruce brought him back.

But now, you couldn't.

You weren't talking, you weren't crying, you weren't even blinking. Only did you move once the report switched to the weather in Gotham, and you turned to Alfred. "That...that can't be real, can it?" You asked him barely above a whisper.

"I'm," He paused. "I'm not sure. I will call Master Bruce right away," Alfred said, turning to grab two handkerchiefs, one for each of you. Once you took yours, he pulled the phone out and waited for Bruce to pick up. He called twice, both ending in voicemail. "Master Bruce, please return our call when you can," He said and ended the call, giving up until Bruce could call back.

"I thought they were coming back to Gotham today," You said. "What happened?"

Alfred sighed, wiping a tear off his cheek. "I know they tracked Joker down, but they were working together. I'm not sure what changed," He said.

You navigated over to the search engine and looked up Jason's name, seeing if you could find any more information on what you two just saw on the news. You clicked the first article to appear, which was published twenty minutes ago.

This week, Bruce Wayne and his son, Jason Todd, visited Sarajevo, Bosnia. We have been informed that Todd, 15, was in a bombing in Sarajevo and did not survive. Currently, we have no source of the bombing and no comment from Mr. Wayne.

They all said the same thing. There was no further information other than that Jason had died in a bombing, and it was driving you crazy that Bruce wasn't answering to confirm or deny anything.

Finally, a long hour later, Alfred's phone rang, and he put it on speaker so you could hear as well. "Master Bruce, we saw the news. Is it true?"

Bruce sighed and didn't respond for a moment. "Yes. Joker. I was too late," Was the only explanation he gave. "I will be leaving in the morning to bring Jason's body back. We will have a burial after I return," Bruce said.

"Are you okay, sir?" Alfred asked though he knew the answer.

"I'm fine," Bruce said, which you both knew was a lie, but it was best not to push.

Alfred looked at you, not sure what to say. "We'll see you tomorrow, B," You said.

It was a phone call no one wanted to make or receive. In a matter of hours, you lost your best friend after searching for him for a week. His adoptive father was feeling responsible, and the butler had no idea how he would keep the family together. You zoned out after you said goodnight, thinking about what would come next.