Hawkward - Avengers & Reader

Words: 1064
Pairing: Avengers & Reader
Featuring: Sam Wilson, Clint Barton, Tony Stark, Steve Rogers
Warnings: Swearing, puns
Requested by anon
Summary: As part of the bird buddies, the group sometimes leads to fights in the form of puns. 
Author's Note: you wanted puns, you got puns. Sam, Clint, and Y/N are the best friends we all needed.

*Edited*

---

"You think Clint would like these?" You asked Sam as you walked down the random store aisle with him. You went with Clint and Sam to get groceries for the facility, but Clint was the only one who seemed to actually be on task. You and Sam found yourself on the opposite side of the store, making jokes with whatever you found.

Sam nodded, completely serious. "Get them. Are there two more? We all need a matching pair," Sam said and started to sift through the slippers on the shelf. Yes, the three of you needed matching bird slippers. You have joined the Bird Buddies since your owl-like-self fit the requirements, and it was the best group within the whole Avengers.

"Why does he put up with us?" You asked Sam as you held the three pairs of slippers.

"I don't know; I think he secretly finds it entertaining," Sam offered. "We should probably find him-"

"Put the damn shoes down; we have work to do!" Clint's voice walked up behind you.

You shot around and gave him a weird look. "I'm joking; these slippers are the best things I have ever seen. Is three enough? Should we get one for every person in the base, or just keep it exclusive?"

---

Your alarm on your phone started to sound, meaning there was a problem that needed your help. You didn't know if you could trust that anymore, though, as Sam thinks it is hilarious to mess with you and see you get ready to fight only to find out he pushed the button for fun.

You were running important errands and would only stop if it was a true emergency. You listened with your enhanced hearing to figure out if there was any screaming. Luckily, you couldn't hear any of that. You looked to the closest TV to see if the emergency news was talking about an attack nearby, and again, there wasn't. You then decided to call the most trusted person you could, Steve Rogers.

"Yeah, get here right now! Be careful about it, though," An explosion cut him off, and the call dropped.

You sighed and looked around, making sure no one was in your way. Once you were clear, you looked up to the sky and jumped. Your wings came out, and you flew as fast as you could back to the Avengers Facility. 

"Finally!" Clint shouted when you landed outside the base, not fighting anyone, "I needed to show everyone that we weren't dreaming, and you do have owl wings," Clint smiled and held his arms out, looking at the wings coming out of your back that resembled an owl. "Told you all."

"Damn, he was right," Tony shook his head and handed Clint money. Did they really forget that you had wings? How does someone even manage to forget that?

You shot a glare at Clint, and he laughed in response. Everyone started to peel off and go their separate directions as you stayed with Clint to lecture him about how you were doing some errands. However, he believed that they weren't super important if you flew back to the facility for a battle.

"Clint, I hope you know I am not emused," You tried not to laugh at your pun and distracted yourself as you closed your wings.

"Oh gosh, not the puns; you have such a hoot with those," He copied your voice.

The door opened, and you saw Sam's face change from laughter to annoyance when he realized bird puns were happening again. "I put on my bird slippers for you guys! You want annoying puns? Toucan play that game," Sam held his hands out to threaten both of you.

You smirked, and the other two did as well. However, the three of you quickly decided it was not in your best interest to say endless bird puns, as it would quickly become the most annoying thing for all of you to hear. It was declared bird puns must be used only when the time is right and perfect. Everyone agreed.

---

You looked all over the place for Sam and Clint, as you had made plans with them to go to lunch today. Yet, it was time for lunch, and there was no sign of them. You were sure you told them the right time, and you waited for fifteen minutes before becoming impatient. FRIDAY then told you they were in the training room sparring; they had lost track of time.

You rolled your eyes and strolled your way back through the base to find them. You opened the door, and once your bird buddies saw you, they gave you a strange look and swore. "I can't believe we forgot!" Clint exploded, "I'm sorry!"

"We lost track of time. I was kicking his ass," Sam shrugged and started to unwrap his hands.

"I can't believe you guys. You left me owl by myself," You started to fake cry, but laughed when they both groaned at the horrible puns.

Sam rolled his eyes. "We agreed that we wouldn't do that unless it was one-hundred-percent perfect. I don't think that was justified," He argued.

You hid your satisfaction in annoying him. "Well, this is hawkward," You commented with a wink.

"Oh, duck you," Clint groaned and spun in a circle from all the horrible puns. He tried to stop himself from laughing, but alas, he couldn't stop.

Sam walked over to Clint and put his hands on his shoulders. "Clint, no, these puns are horrible; why are you quacking up?" Sam yelled with a straight face, trying to get Clint to calm down. It was, most definitely, not working.

The door to the training room opened to hear yelling of puns back and forth between you, Clint, and Sam. "What is going on in here?" Tony asked when he got closer to you.

"The bird buddies are having a pun battle," You answered and went back to yelling.

"What?"

You shrugged, not really sure how else to explain it. "Just wing it, bro," You smiled and turned back to Clint and Sam, who looked like they were about to fight each other,

"Hold on, was that a fucking pun?" Tony shouted, but you didn't reply. Instead, you broke up the fight Sam and Clint got into because they believed the other was being too annoying.