Chapter 32: All by Myself

Skylar's point of view:

4 1/2 months. That's how long it's been without seeing or hearing from Catherine. I refused to go and see her, since now I was less heartbroken and more mad. I still called though, in order to talk with Thalia and Grace. I felt like Catherine and I were divorced and we had split custody of our child..

Today I was going on a date. Mom was so tired of seeing me moping around the house that she set me up with this girl, Jessica. We apparently had a lot in common according to mom. I honestly didn't want to go, but at least it would get me out of the house.

The date was at the movie theatre, so I got in the car (my big brace was off yay!) and went to the flower shop. I picked up a dozen yellow flowers since they symbolized friendship and I had no intentions of gaining a new girlfriend from this. The one I wanted, wanted space and I'd grant that to her.

We were seeing the new Marvel movie, which I was somewhat excited about seeing. When I arrived I grabbed the roses and went to the ticket booth, planning on buying both tickets as a kind gesture. I was almost done with the purchase when something caught my eye. It was both heartbreaking and increased my heartbeat. Across the street was Ward park, and there sitting at a picnic table was Catherine, Thalia, and Grace. The three seemed to be playing a game of some sort, causing the three of them to laugh. Suddenly I felt guilty for going on this date, when really I desperately wanted to be at the picnic table playing some kids game. It was a beautiful day, so why was I seeing a movie in a dark theatre? Maybe it symbolized my emotions and how I was feeling..

"Hi there, are you Skylar" I jumped slightly at the interruption from my thoughts to see a blonde haired green eyed woman standing in front of me. From the first look she was pretty, but nothing compared to Catherine' beauty.
"Yes, you must be Jessica" she nodded and smiled big, showing off her pearly white teeth.
After our little introduction I told her that I bought the tickets, which she hugged me for. The worst part was the hug wasn't awkward, it actually felt kinda nice. She insisted on buying concessions, but since i usually get a soda and popcorn we decided to share the popcorn. Entering the theatre, it was almost full of other people. We had fairly good seats, but they were closer to the front and I knew it'd be loud.

Once the movie started I immediately got sucked in. It was both hilarious, suspenseful, and dramatic; also known as the perfect combination to a good movie.

About halfway through the movie (although that was just a guesstimate) I reached my hand into what was left of the popcorn, only to find another hand there. I looked to my right and saw Jessica smiling at me, squeezing my hand softly. I smiled back, although holding her hand wasn't the same as holding Catherine's hand.
"Sorry" I whispered, removing my hand from the container and going back to the movie.

The movie ended up being one of the best ones I'd ever seen, despite the awkward moment in the middle with the popcorn incident. When we walked out of the movie theatre, we were met with the shining sun and blue sky. Again, why'd we choose to sit in a dark theatre for 2 hours when it was a beautiful day. I don't know.

We stood outside for a moment, enjoying the weather until Jessica broke the silence.
"There's this diner a block away. Do you want to get a milkshake or something there?" I nodded, my body suddenly craving one of Ralph's Diner's milkshakes.

The walk to Ralph's was short and sweet, kinda like my date. Haha. I opened the door for her and followed behind when the hostess brought us to a table in the back. I hadn't looked around, just focusing on the milkshake menu, which was pretty extensive I might add. Deciding on a campfire milkshake I looked up, only to be met with two eyes I wish hadn't seen me. Across the room and down a few booths was Catherine and Thalia, although Thalia hadn't seen me yet. Catherine and I kept eye contact, although her face said it all. She was sad, and that was the last thing I wanted her to feel. The wheelchair was still next to the booth, and I hadn't seen her in person since she broke up with me.
"Skylar, are you ready to order?" I brought my attention back to my date, who was looking up from her menu and smiling at me.
"Sure, sorry I was daydreaming" she nodded and proceeded to give the waiter her order. All I could think about and feel was Catherine's eyes on me. One part of my brain hoped that Thalia didn't see me, since she still called me mama and that would be awkward for all parties. On the other hand, I really wanted to see the little monkey, since I'd only talked with her on the phone previously.

When our food came, I tried to bury my thoughts into it. It was a damn good milkshake but not enough to distract me from the dark haired woman sitting across the room. I felt bad that my attention was going to Catherine when meanwhile I was on a date.

After finishing our food, Jessica went to the bathroom. As soon as she left, I looked over to the mother daughter, making eye contact with Catherine. She waved slightly, giving a weak smile. That caused Thalia to turn around.
"MAMA!" she literally yelled, getting down from her seat and running towards me. Seeing her brought a smile on my face, especially having her in my arms. Catherine proceeded to get out of the booth and wheel over to me, a smile on her face.
"Hey" she said, looking me right in the eyes.
"H-hey" I stuttered back, suddenly nervous to be around her. She smirked and gave her attention to Thalia, who was cuddling up in my arms.
"So, are you on a date?" I nodded slowly, suddenly realizing that my date would be out any second.
"Yeah, my mom forced me to. Said I needed to get out and see people." She smiled wider, as if liking what I said.
"Mama I'm tired" Thala snuggled more into me, probably tired from all the running around at the park.
"I bet sweetheart, you were running up a storm" Catherine laughed at her daughter, caressing her hanging leg.
"Um, hey, who's this?" crap. When I turned around Jessica was standing there with a confused look on her face.
"H-hey Jessica, this is my neighbor Catherine, and her daughter Thalia" I motioned to the pair.
"Well it's nice to meet you both. Especially you Thalia" she ended with a baby voice, grabbing her leg lightly. Thalia just hummed and snuggled into me more. I could tell she was close to falling asleep.
"Well we'd better get going, she looks like she's going to pass out any second" Catherine laughed. I nodded but remained holding close to Thalia.

We made small talk before Grace pulled up, and the 4 of us walked outside to meet her. There was a small conversation before I helped load Thalia into the car. Then they were off.

"So, I had a great time" I looked at Jessica who was smiling at me. I really wanted to feel something more with her, but my heart wanted someone else.
"Yeah, same. I'd better get going, my sister has a soccer game and I promised that I'd go". Yeah that's a total lie.
"Okay, well have fun, and i'll see you another time" she came closer to me, pecking my cheek before waving and walking the other way down the street. What a day it's been, and it's only 3:19.

Thank you guys for reading this chapter, I hope you liked it. Please comment and vote and I'll see you next time!
Jane