Bad Omen

Adrian's P.O.V

I heard Solomon's footsteps catch up with me on the staircase.

"You gonna tell me what happened out there?" Solomon asked, his voice raspy and concerned.

Stopping at the floor Ailani's room was on, I turned to face him. "She's powerful." Was the only thing I could muster.

Solomon shook his head, a tiny grin on his face. "She did you dirty out there, huh?" He said, tapping a condescending hand on my shoulder.

"I'm not fucking playing around here, Solomon. She's powerful."

"How powerful?"

"Like- like paralysing my body to the point where my wolf can't even growl powerful. Powerful as in she snapped one of the wolf's legs and he wasn't even within a 5 mile radius. She's fucking powerful."

Solomon shrugged. "I mean it's scary - but a tad disappointing. I was hoping for a little bit more... action."

I looked at my brother, my hands twitching with the urge to punch him in the throat.

"Tsk tsk, no more violence bro. The last thing we need is a fight." Solomon read my mind and started walking towards Ailani's room.

"I need to check her blood." I stated, stopping short of her door.

Solomon scoffed. "Let me guess. The witch poisoned her?" He went to knock-

"The witch said she might have werewolf blood in her DNA."

He didn't knock.

"I'm sorry, what? Isn't that from you biting her, or something. What did she say exactly?"

"She said that The Legend of the Human Luna is a lie, that some infatuated human wrote it. She told me that Ailani can only be my mate if she has werewolf blood in her. 50%, 20% even 0.13%. She has to have werewolf blood somewhere in her heritage for us to be mates."

Solomon was taken aback, but quickly gained his composure. "Okay, so we test her for werewolf blood. That doesn't sound too bad, right?" When he saw the look on my face, his expression of relief faded back to one of concern. "For fuck sake, what else?"

"The witch said that she will die."

"Sorry, come again?"

"If Ailani has our blood, that means there's a good chance that she will go through a change, but the change will be too painful and she will not have enough power to heal herself quick enough. So she will die."

"Who's gonna die?"

Solomon and I had been talking amongst ourselves, and hadn't realised Jack come out of the room. He was standing with his shoulders wide, as if expecting danger, a frown of distaste on his face.

"Should we tell him-?"

"Tell me what? Adrian, Solomon, what's going on?"

"Shhhhhh!" Solomon dragged Jack away from the door. "Come with us."

****

So test her blood then, what's the problem?"

"The problem is, if we test her blood and find out she is one of us- we will be unable to help her when she changes."

Jack shrugged again. "And if you send her home and she changes, then she's gonna die. I mean come on guys, this ain't rocket science. At the end of the day, she's better here."

Solomon turned to me, waiting for an answer.

I sighed, unable to deny that Jack was right.

"If she stays, you must tell Katie to not go ballistic. She's been acting weird lately, she'll be fuming once she finds out that Ailani has to stay." I said.

Jack shook his head as if to say don't worry. "I'll talk to her, she'll come around."

"Okay," Solomon said. "It's settled then. We'll check Ailani's blood and take it from there. In the meantime, why don't you see if your witch friend wants to come over?"

I screwed Solomon. "She's not my friend. But for your benefit, I'll ask. Perhaps she'll be okay with breaking your leg, that way you'll understand that she's not someone to mess with."

"You're an Alpha, Adrian. Grow some balls yeah?" Solomon gestured to Jack, "bring Ailani to the medical room as soon as possible. Me and Solomon need to go check on Catalina."

***

"Alpha, we were just about to call you. Catalina is conscious, but she's saying things that none of us understand." One of the nurses rushed to the bed where Catalina was, and gently began dabbing a wet towel on her forehand.

Solomon rushed to Catalina's side before me, a frown of concern on his face.

"Catalina, it's me, Solomon. Que te pasa?"

Catalina's eyes were open, but they were in some kind of daze, like she was sleepwalking.

"Catalina," Solomon placed his hand on her cheek, his face emotionlessly blank.

There was silence in the room, and for a moment Solomon believed that Catalina might never speak again. But then her agonised cry pierced the air.

"They're already coming for her they're already coming for her!"

I was by her side in a flash, my insides turning at the disturbing cry she kept making. "Coming for who, Catalina?" I tried questioning her through the bond, but it was hopeless.

"They're already coming for her they're already coming for her. Eleven. Ten. Nine."

"Okay why is she counting down," Jack started to freak out and looked at me for answers.

"Could she be talking about Ailani? Are they coming for her?" Solomon said lowly.

I clenched my teeth. That seemed like the only plausible answer. "I'm assuming so. But who are 'they?'

Catalina left no room and continued counting down.

"Eight. Seven. Six."

Then she stopped.

"Am I missing something?" Jack said.

"Jack, with all due respect, your commentary isn't helping." I hissed.

"Sorry mate, it's just that when someone counts down, it normally stops at zero. And Catalina stopped at six, so I'm just wondering why?" Jack retorted.

Solomon, Jack and I all stared at Catalina. Hearing her talk was disturbing, but for some reason I could tell all of us were hoping that she would speak again. We had no clue what she was talking about.

And just when things couldn't get worse, the sound of a large bang erupted through the room. It came from the window, and the sight that we saw made our insides turn. A large Raven had bashed itself against the glass, it's feathers and blood smeared across the window.

"I swear that's a bad omen," Jack said quietly.

Before I could answer, five more birds bashed against the window and fell to their death.

"Fuck."