A Dangerous Move

Ailani's P.O.V

"Have you heard the news?" A tall brunette came running up towards our table, a large smile printed on her petite face.

"What news?" Amanda asked.

"Alpha Adrian has demanded for a Mating Call, apparently it's happening next week."

Amanda's mouth fell open, all of a sudden the dining room erupted into small chatter and whispers. Everyone who didn't have a mate had smiles on their faces, girls were jumping up and down in eager excitement.

"What's a Mating Call?"

"It's a massive ceremony that an Alpha makes if he can't find his mate. Werewolves from all over the world are required to come, the Alpha meets all the females until he identifies his Luna." The tall brunette explained quickly. "I'm Gisela by the way."

"So the Alpha wants a Mating Call because he wants to find his mate?" I asked, my heart slowly sinking to the floor. His mate was right here...

"Apparently so. I'm just excited because I'm nearly turning 20 and I haven't found my mate yet. This ceremony will help me find him in no time." Amanda mirrored Gisela's smile.

"Wait. So what happens exactly?" This time it was Katie's turn to ask the questions.

"A letter is sent out to all the packs of the world, demanding that they come to the ceremony. All werewolves have to come, and to be honest, no one wouldn't want to go because it means they have a better chance of finding their mate, if they haven't already got one."

"So far so good," I thought.

"Think of it as like the Hunger Games." Gisela said.

"Wait. What? Hold on a second. The Hunger Games? Where does the Hunger Games come into this?" Katie questioned, a confused look pressed on her facial expressions.

Gisela was beaming with exhilaration. "The ceremony takes place over the course of 21 days, genuinely by the last day the Alpha finds his mate and marks her. Until then, werewolves are scattered across the country of the Alpha's origin – so in this case Spain, and left to find their mate through whatever means necessary."

"I don't get it. Why did you say The Hunger Games? This seems relatively easy." I said, confused at the excited chatter bursting out in the room.

"Oh it's not easy," Amanda chuckled. "We have alliances with some packs, but we aren't on good terms with others.; and when packs dislike each other, they will do anything to harm them - including stopping someone from getting their mate."

"So you're saying that you're gonna have to fight other packs?" Jack said.

"If it comes to it, then yes. We haven't had a Mating Call for over 5 years now; last time 4 of our pack members were killed, 3 lost their mate and 14 were seriously injured."

"Not gonna lie, that doesn't sound that bad." Jack shrugged his shoulders. He was liking the sound of this.

"Let's just say that since then we've had a lot of feuds with other packs. This time, I'm guessing a lot more people are going to want us dead." Gisela finished talking and started walking away from our table, towards a group of girls that were just as thrilled as she was. "I'll be back," she said.

I turned to Amanda who started digging into her food again. "Amanda this sounds kind of like a suicide mission, or a death wish." She didn't look up from her plate. "Why would Adrian want a Mating Call if he knew that some of his pack could die?"

I wanted to say: "Why would Adrian want a Mating Call if I was here?" But I bit my tongue.

"He's probably desperate for a mate. It's been a long time now." She answered.

My heart clenched at the thought of him struggling to stay alive without someone by his side. I thought back to the way he looked at me when we were outside, the way his eyes changed from the piercing grey they were to a dark brown. It gave me shivers. There was something that I couldn't point out in his facial expression. Could it have been desperation?

"What happens if he doesn't find his mate soon?" I asked, already dreading the answer.

There was a slight pause before Amanda spoke again. She seemed quite calm and collected, but then all of a sudden she went tense, as if what she was about to say made her nervous and gave her a headache.

"He dies. If Adrian doesn't find his mate in time, he will die."

**********

Adrian's P.O.V

"I just got off the phone with the Echo Pack, they said that they will inform everyone right away, and be here in two days." Samson came into the room, a satisfied expression settled on his face.

"Good." I nodded at him, relaxing into the sofa a bit more.

"Adrian, are you sure you want to do this. This is the last chance you get to drop out." Samson sat on the sofa opposite me and looked me directly in the eyes.

"I haven't found my mate either bro. So of course, I want to find her soon, but a Mating Call? You're stepping into a very dangerous area."

"You're not an Alpha Samson, you're a Beta. It's not the same. Do you know how dangerous it is for an Alpha to lead a pack alone, without his Luna?" I argued.

"Do you know how dangerous it is for you to call a Mating Call? We're on the verge of war and you have just made a statement that you're weak and desperate to find your mate. You're at a disadvantage."

Samson had a point, it wasn't wise for me to demand a Mating Call at this moment in time. But I had no choice. Everyday I woke up to the feeling of my wolf crying from loneliness, and this Ailani girl was making things worse for me.

"I've made my decision Samson, it's too late. I need to find my Luna. Now go and talk to the Crimson Pack and tell them when they expect to make it here."

Samson sighed and bowed his head in reverence.

"Yes Alpha, as you wish." And with that, he left the room.

As I sat there in my office alone, my mind whirling with 'what ifs,' I couldn't help but think to myself: "what have I done?"