The True Betrayal

Ailani's P.O.V

When I entered the lobby from the back entrance, a wave of nausea hit me. For some reason my body didn't want to be back here, back in this place that reminded me of betrayal. And yet I couldn't remember a time where I wasn't yearning to be back on this territory.

It was empty downstairs. No one was behind the desk, and there wasn't a sign of anyone on the bottom floor. I was kind of hoping that I would bump into Marcus, he was usually down here most of the time, but I guess there's no room for hopeless wishing – not now anyways.

I ignored Catalina's and Solomon's instruction for me to go straight to the top floor; instead I went back to where my room was. My thinking process at the time was that I might not ever get to walk down this hall again, so this would be a proper goodbye. I hesitated when the elevator doors opened, vying with the key in my hand that would take me straight to the last level – the place where I should be going.

This is dangerous and disobedient.

The voice in my head wasn't helping me at all.

I had been standing in the elevator for too long, so when the doors began to close back on me, I jumped out before I got stuck in between them, avoiding half of my body getting sent up to the floor above.

The corridor was just as empty as the lobby. Still, I walked quickly and cautiously, scared that someone might come out of their room and ambush me.

Of course, I didn't have the key to the room, so there was no going inside and reminiscing of what used to be – so instead I hung about outside, trying to remember what it felt like to be on the other side of the door. Stupid I know...

"It's no use, Amanda."

I jumped back in horror as I heard the sound of the door unlocking. Yes, I could run, but if whoever was in there was coming out, they'd see me way before I made it to the elevator.

Fuck.

"Maybe if we had something of hers, it would be easi-."

"What the fuck is she doing back here!" Amanda wasn't even the one who had opened up the door. She saw me from the other side of the room and immediately spoke up with her voice soaked in hatred.

"Hi," I said quietly to Robyn, the dark-skinned girl from Barbados. She looked at me with confusion, as if she was staring straight at a ghost. "I errrm... forgot something and was told that I could come back and get it."

That was a lie, and something told me that they already knew it.

"Let me be the first to call bullshit," Amanda started, walking towards me. "We've searched this room through and through, and found nothing that belongs to you, or Jack and Katie for that matter. Secondly, all werewolves were given strict orders that if we see you, we should kill you – so there's no chance that you were allowed back in."

Amanda was right. I had literally nothing to say. So, I turned around fast and started walking towards the elevator. I was pulled back before I even took two steps.

"She's got a gun!" It was Maddie, her voice laced with surprise and a sound I can only imagine a murderer having. "What, so you came here to kill us did you!"

I was dragged into the room before I even had the time to blink. Maddie's strength left a dark bruise on my arm, and when I was chucked onto the floor – memories of Adrian trying to kill me came flooding through.

Amanda rushed to my side, and for a second, I thought she was there to help me up. But she snatched the gun from my trousers and checked inside. "It's fucking loaded," she hissed. "This bitch has nerve."

"You don't understand, you've got it all mixed up!" I said, trying my best to stop my limpid eyes from crying.

Amanda hit me round the head with the base of the gun, and it was then that I realised these girls really wanted nothing to do with me now that they knew I was human. I guess it was betrayal at its finest.

"You think that you can take us with a fucking gun!" She threw the gun beside me with a vicious grin of encouragement. "Use it on us and see what happens."

I looked on the floor and saw two guns instead of one. Blinking twice didn't make it any better. The nausea that I felt when I first came back here hit me again. I felt like I was going to vomit.

"Only when you feel threatened."I heard Catalina's voice in my head, a drowning echo.

"Go on then," Amanda beckoned me on. "Show us what your intentions truly are, let us see how much strength you humans really have."

Her words sent me over the edge. Yes, I was human; but I wasn't evil and out to get rid of the world of the supernatural. I had nothing for them and wanted nothing from them. I was no fucking Hunter. No matter how much human blood ran through my veins.

Grabbing the gun forcefully, I emptied the bullets onto the floor, and threw the gun to the other side of the room. A small crack in the glass decorated the window gracefully.

"I don't want anything to do with you!" I screamed. "I came here only for my friends, my friends and nothing else. Damn you for even thinking that I would come up and start shooting the place down left, right and centre. I thought you knew me better than that!"

"I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE AT ALL! I ONLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE. A HUMAN. NOT ONE OF US!" Amanda shouted so loud, I could see the veins popping out from the side of her throat. There was so much anger and tension in the room, I could have sworn I saw the devil in the corner laughing. Waiting.

I spoke to them calmly. "I just want Katie and Jack, that's the only reason I'm here okay!"

"So, you don't want Adrian then?"

It was Robyn that spoke up. Her voice wasn't covered in the same hate as Maddie and Amanda, in fact she asked it quite normally. It was the sound of Adrian's name that made it hurt.

"Why would I be here for Adrian." Even his name tasted sour coming from my mouth.

"Enough with the bullshitting Ailani. We know all about your scam. You think you're his Luna." Amanda didn't have to tell me she didn't believe. I could hear it in her voice.

"I am his Luna." I said. Where the confidence was coming from, I did not know.

"Fuck," Amanda scoffed. "It really is true. I didn't think you were that much of a scammer. There's no fucking way you're his Luna. A human can never have that title. You're obviously insane, or you think we're stupid."

"So, you're all werewolves. And yet you've never heard of the Legend of the Human Luna?" I asked dumbfoundedly.

The girls looked at me stunned, and then they all laughed. Amanda's raucous laugh made me cringe. She sounded like a hyena.

"What the hell are you talking about. That sounds like something you humans would come up with!"

"What's next, vampires existing alongside werewolves?" Maddie laughed.

I was more than confused. I thought everyone knew of this legend.

Then it dawned on me. Why would they believe such a thing but still consider humans to be their mortal enemies? I realised that perhaps, only a selected few knew of the story. Thus, only a selected few believed that it would happen again.

These girls weren't a part of that selected few.

It must have only been seconds, before the hysterical laughing from the girls stopped, and they all looked at me as if I was an insect that needed to be stepped on.

"Kill her."

That was the last thing I heard before the world went dark.