Preparation

Ailani's P.O.V

"For the next few days you will be training far more than you're used to." Adrian was standing at the front of the training ground, addressing all of us as a pack. "The rumours are true. There will be a Mating Call very soon, for which you must all be prepared for."

There was tension and excitement in the air this morning. Whilst we were walking to training, a lot of the werewolves were talking about their plans and strategies they were going to use. Others were talking of their friends in other packs, and how they were looking forward to teaming up with them.

"During the Mating Call you will be going round in groups of ten, your teams will be given to you in a few moments, and from now on you are to train together." Adrian continued speaking, every once in a while glancing briefly in my direction. When he looked at me there seemed to be a pain in his facial expression, and when he looked away from me it was as if he had to fight against himself to turn his head. "In a few days a lot of the other packs will be arriving. Until then, we are going to play a game."

When he said this many of the werewolves exchanged looks of confusion with those standing next to them, Katie and I included.

"From now on you will behave as though every team is an opposing pack. There will be no communicating with each other. You will only talk with your team. The same goes for eating, exercising, and anything else you guys do in your spare time."

Small murmurs were erupting, squeals of determination and ardour.

"You will act as though your friends outside your groups are enemies. You will act as though your mates outside your groups are in fact, your rivals. Training will continue for 3 days straight, without any breaks. After that the game will begin, and when it is finished, it will be time for the Mating Call." 

**********

"So, Lionel is it?" Jack asked, breaking the silence that was between us. "Look, sorry man. You know, about the fight and whatnot."

Lionel glared at Jack sternly and then walked away. "Sheesh." Jack said causally.

"Listen, Lionel doesn't normally act like this," Amanda said, shaking her head at Lionel walking away. "He's just still pissed off, that's all."

"Well he better unpiss himself off because we've got to put up with each other for the Mating Call." Andre, one of the werewolves that swam against Katie spoke up. He was in our group too, along with Maddie, Weronika, Carlos, Gisela and Adrian's best soldier - Christopher.

"Unpiss isn't a word, Andre." Maddie, a tall dark headed girl said. She had an edgy look to her, with a nose piercing, a lip piercing and a full sleeve of tattoos on her left arm.

"I just made it a word." Andre spat back.

"You're just fucking dumb."

"You're just a  fucking freak."

"How am I a fre."

"THAT'S ENOUGH GUYS." Christopher shouted at us, his rank as best soldier causing everyone to go silent. "Alpha Adrian put me in your group because you are some of the best fighters we have," when Christopher said this, Andre smirked with a egotistic look on his face.

"He's not talking about you, Andre." Maddie murmured. Andre's face fell into a deep frown.

"You guys are going to need to put your differences aside and grow a pair. Otherwise you can forget about surviving the Mating Call." Christopher's authority radiated from him, causing some of the werewolves to lower their heads in fear.

"Come on Christopher, we know the real reason you're here." Adrian said mischievously. Christopher looked at him with confusion and anger on his face.
"Adrian told you to look after Ailani, for some strange reason, isn't that right?"

For a split second Christopher looked at me and his jaw clenched. The rest of the group started to stare at me in bewilderment. "What the Alpha commands is none of your business, Andre." Christopher spat. "If you have any problems with his instructions then I suggest you go and take it up with him." When Christopher said this he gestured to Adrian who was only a couple feet away. Adrian looked at our team very briefly but subjectively, and this caused Andre to cower to the back of the group in fear.

"Is it true though? Is that why you're really in our group?" Carlos asked. He was tall, olive skinned with bright blonde hair and green eyes.

"No, it's half true. The Alpha has ordered me to stay in your group because he wants me to watch over you three." Christopher pointed towards Katie, Jack and I. "Apparently you're of use to him for other reasons he won't tell me." 

Jack looked at me with a weird look on his face. Perhaps he was thinking the same thing, what else would he want us for?

"The rest of you," Christopher addressed the others; "are in Adrian's opinion our best fighters, as I have already said. And so I must look out for your safety at all times. Now can we train? Or are you guys just gonna stand there?"

**********

"Dude you got to teach me how to move so quick, at times I couldn't see your hands." Carlos was talking to Jack, infatuated by his skill when it came to fighting.

"You just have to be light on your feet bro, I don't know, just practice and you'll get it." Jack replied, casually shrugging his shoulders. He was used to people asking him tips about his boxing back at school, but this was different. A werewolf was actually asking him for advice.

"You mind teaching me a bit more after dinner?" Carlos asked, his green eyes glinting with desperation.

Jack smiled a bit. "Yeah sure, no problem."

Carlos turned to Lionel and Andre, "you coming?"

Lionel shrugged nonchalantly. "Yeah I guess, but I ain't taking a fucking beating again." He glared at Jack.

"You have my word." Jack said solemnly, smirking a bit. The two of them shook hands, and all of a sudden the tension that was between them evaporated into thin air.

"Carlos, you can't exclude us girls from your training session," Gisela said, biting into one or her chips with a bit of anger.

"Don't worry guys," Amanda looked at us. "I'll teach you everything you need to know." She glared at the boys and shook her head before looking back to us. "Everything and more."