Times Ticking

Warning ⚠️ Mature Content

Ailani's P.O.V

''Alpha Adrian looks like he hasn't slept in days."

"Tell me about it. He's still attractive though; even with bags underneath his eyes."

"You're so whipped over him, you have a mate somewhere you know."

"Exactly, I have a mate somewhere. Which means he's not here, which means Alpha is mine for the taking... For now."

I felt like slapping the girls around the table beside us at breakfast this morning. They talked about Adrian like he was some prize trophy, like he was theirs. Jack rubbed my shoulder comfortingly, obviously sensing my annoyance with the conversation that was going on a few metres away from us.

"Don't dwell on what they're saying," he said quietly. "He'll be yours in no time." Jack winked at me and then got up from the table, heading for the food on the other side of the room.

I sighed, every now and then glancing at the tall girls beside me; cringing at their giggles and low whispers.

"I can't eat. I'm too nervous." Megan sat opposite me, a bowl full of fruits and ice cream, untouched. She gave me a 'will you take this from me' look, and shifted the bowl in my direction.

"I'll have it!" Maddie said, snatching the bowl from the table and placing it in her lap. I laughed at her hungriness, and continued eating the food I had got for myself. "But you need to eat," she said in between mouthfuls. "The Calling starts tomorrow, you need all the food you can get."

Megan groaned, tucking her red hair behind her ears, determination written across her face. She turned to Andre, who was just approaching our table with his plate of food, messily stacked up with pancakes and fruits. He looked her in the eye and immediately knew what was up. I watched as the hesitation in his face was quickly replaced by an expression of love. He placed his plate in front of Megan and walked off to get some more for himself.

"Must be nice," Maddie murmured, eating the last bit of pineapple from the bowl.

**********

Adrian's P.O.V

Splashing cold water on my face was only making things worse. I couldn't get my mind off Ailani, no matter how hard I tried. My wolf was beginning to get restless, growling in anger and disappointment. I had breakfast brought to my room; I was scared that my wolf would take over if I stepped outside.

"For fuck sake!" I groaned, frowning at the tent that was beginning to grow in my joggers.

Ever since yesterday, my hormones were going crazy, and I was fighting the ability to suppress my deep desire for the touch of a female wolf.

You mean Ailani?

My wolf was beginning to get angry. I tried to convince myself that my body was just craving a mate, but it was craving Ailani. I could feel it.

"Alpha? You in there?" A knock on the door caused me to jump out of my skin. Something was definitely wrong with me.

My brother walked in with Catalina behind him. He ignored me on the bed and went straight to the windows, forcing the curtains open. "You're a werewolf Adrian, not a fucking vampire!" He said as I groaned in frustration.

"How you doing?" Catalina said, sitting on the bed beside me. Her voice was soothing with sympathy for me, her eyes full of deep concern.

"What does it look like?" I murmured, rubbing my hands across my face. "I'm aching for my mate."

Solomon walked over and stood in front of me. "Come on Adrian, you can do without one. You're a strong male, an Alpha! You're too strong to be weak."

I looked at my brother, shaking my head in disagreement. "Solomon, you're still young. You don't know what it's like to have to wait for your mate for such a long time."

I tried to sway Solomon to understand my grief, but he wasn't having it.

"Adrian, look. I understand your pain brother, but The Calling is nearly starting and the pack doesn't have their Alpha. When your enemies see this, they are going to laugh." He placed his hands on my shoulders and knelt down in front of me. "You have to fool them, just until this is over. When they go back to their territories, you can act like a weakling again. Man up okay bro!"

Solomon had a sincere look on his face, as if he really was trying to understand how I felt. But I couldn't hear him. As soon as he stood up the piercing smell of Ailani hit me like a dagger, and I hunched over on the floor, eyes closed, revelling in the pleasure I felt not too long ago. My wolf was on the verge of breaking out, a prisoner banging on the cells of my rib cage. Murmurs of my brother and Catalina were shut out as the ecstasy grew to a new level, the kind of level you reach when you're on the verge of climax. I couldn't take any more.

"Get OUT!" I growled. Solomon tried to grab me but thankfully Catalina hurried him out of the room.

As soon as the door closed I leant against the side of my bed, hands gripping my erection with an incessant need of finding release. I could only think of her. And as my mind envisioned the way she looked, the pleasure only grew more, to the point where I could hear myself growling with the hunger of claiming her as my mate. My canines were bared – for how long I don't know – and as I reached the point of no return, I heard myself lowly hiss her name over and over again.

Ailani's P.O.V

"Wait guys, slow down!"

Maddie, Katie, Robyn, Megan, Amanda and Gisela were running ahead of me, pacing up a hill that went on for miles. I couldn't understand why I was growing so tired, but I felt like there was a strange weight forming in my chest that kept weighing me down.

"Hurry Ailani, we're nearly there!" Robyn shouted, her skin glistening in the sun.

I coughed and panted as we reached the end of a cliff. "Look, can you see them?" Megan said, pointing at a long stretch of road. On it were thousands of carriages, black horses leading them. And nearly twice as many foot soldiers holding spears that were twice the height of them.

"Who the fuck are they?" Katie asked, shuffling closer to the edge. "They look like they've just come out of the film 300."

"They belong to the Pack of Masons. He is the number one arching enemy of the 5 biggest packs, including yours. They come from Romania, they believe that today's modern soldiers are weak and lack the speed and power to defeat a pack. So they train their wolves in ancient style." Megan said. She gulped as she looked on, hearing the sound of the soldiers marching made everything seem even more frightening.

"Do not be fooled by their costumes. The last Mating Call this pack killed the mate of three Alphas."

"What packs did the mates belong to? Yours?" I asked.

Robyn shook her head. "None of ours. It is out of respect that when an Alpha has lost their mate to murder, their names must not be mentioned until their pack has found another leader who has a mate. It has been 6 years since we have uttered their name. 6 years since we have heard from them."

"Shit den." Katie said.

"How long until they get here. About 2 days maybe." I asked, still looking at packs immense numbers.

"No about 5 hours," Amanda said, turning on her heels. "Quick, I wanna see them when they arrive."