Chapter 2. American Slang

Previously...
Y/N leads the 2 children with Michael following close behind to her bedroom, "Alright, well all my boxes are in here. I just need to unpack clothes and some decorations, it won't be too much work." She sits on the ground near her open suitcases, Evan and Elizabeth do the same. Michael however leans against the wall with his arms crossed, he was glaring towards the girl. "So, um..." Y/N clears her throat uncomfortably, "How have you guys been?"

"Good, I watched cartoons with bubby all morning..!" Elizabeth, being the most sociable out of her siblings, speaks up first.
"Bubby?" Y/N smiles, her head tilted slightly.
"I told you to stop calling me that, Elizabeth." Michael finally spoke up, his accent chillingly prominent in each word he spoke.
"Quit being a meanie in front of Y/N!" The little girl crossed her arms, "And I'll call you bubby if I want."
Michael rolls his eyes at his little sister, "Whatever."

Y/N laughs nervously, "Oh come on Michael, she's just being nice. I think it's cute she calls you bubby."
"Stay out of it." He spat, glaring at Y/N. He looks as if he was staring right through her, as if she didn't exist. But in reality, Michael began taking in all her features. He wasn't able to actually get a good look at her anytime he's seen her before.
Her (short/long) h/c hair frames her (pale/dark) face. Her nose shape was unique, and her face shape was as well. But it fit her, she was a good-looking girl. She had e/c eyes, they stared back into Michaels. He realized he was staring at her and quickly looks away.

"Sorry..." Y/N trails off, "Um- lets just start unpacking." Her tone shifted to be more melancholy due to Michaels sour attitude. She's only talked to him once and she already knew Michael was a jerk. However, she remembered what her parents said about giving him a chance. So she quickly collects herself and stands up. She grabs a box from the back of her room and brings it towards the middle, where everyone was sitting.

"Alright, these are my clothes. We just need to fold them, and put them in my dresser. Is that alright?" She looks between Evan, Elizabeth, and Michael. Evan gives her a shy nod, meanwhile Elizabeth gave her a large grin, "Yeah, let's get to work!" She giggles. Y/N smiles gently at the girl, she's quite cute.
"How about you Michael?" Y/N hesitantly looks up at him.

Michael had a blank expression, he shrugs, "I guess." He begrudgingly joins her and his siblings on the floor.
Y/N gives him a tentative smile, Michael unsurprisingly doesn't return it.

Y/N opens the box of clothes and scoots it closer to her dresser. "Okay, so shirts go in the top drawer, pants and skirts go in the middle drawer, then sweatshirts and hoodies go in the bottom, got it?" She looks between the two youngest Afton kids, she trusted Michael to remember the order, however having children help her would mean she needed to double check they understood.
Evan and Elizabeth give short nods and immediately begin folding clothes, Y/N watches them for a moment before beginning to fold.

Michael lets out a sigh before he grabs a random t-shirt from the box, it was a band t-shirt from Y/N's favorite band. He scoffs quietly, "You really listen to (band name)?"
Y/N perks up and looks at Michael quickly. "Yeah..! Do you? They're pretty cool." She was hoping to find something they had in common, only to be met with Michaels callous attitude once again. "Ha, no way. These guys suck, they're so overrated."

Y/N frowns slightly, "My old best friend from my hometown loves that band, I got the shirt from a concert me and her went to."
"Cool story. I didn't ask." Michael smirks sarcastically.
Elizabeth could sense the awkward tension forming, so she tried making conversation the best she could. "Y/N what's your favorite animal?"
Y/N looks over at her and smiles slightly, still recovering from Michaels insult. "Oh, uh, (favorite animal)."
Elizabeth smiles, "My favorite is a unicorn! And Evans is a doggie! Right Evan?" She looks over at her youngest brother, his shaggy brown bangs covering most of his eyes. "Mhm..." he says quietly, he must still be shy.

///

"Elizabeth! Evan! Come here please, be a dear and help mummy out for a second?" Vera calls to her youngest children from the kitchen. "Yes mum!" Elizabeth stands up and pats off her skirt of any dust before grabbing Evans hand and running off to the kitchen.

Painfully awkward silence fills the room. It was just Y/N and Michael.
"Hey Michael?" The young teen looks over at the brunette sitting next to her. He shoots her an annoyed look, "Yes?"
"Y'know, if you hate (band name) so much, what's some of your favorite bands?"

Michael furrows his eyebrows, curious about why she was interested in knowing that.
"McCafferty, Nirvana, the Brobecks...why?"
Y/N smiles slightly, for once he didn't sound hateful when speaking to her. "I wanted to see if we had anything in common. You've got good taste."

Michael raised an eyebrow at her blatant kindness. Especially after he's been a jerk to her. "Thanks." He mutters.
"No problem." She gives him a soft expression, she wondered if she was starting to get through to him. "What else do you like? Have a hobby or something?"

He clears his throat, still continuing to fold clothes and put them away in their respective drawers. "I skateboard..."
"Oh cool. How long have you done that?" She hums quietly while she folded some t-shirts.
"Why do you wanna know that?" He started getting defensive again, still befuddled at her tenderness towards him.
"I'm curious that's all. I want to get to know you." She doesn't look up from the laundry she was folding, she had a small smile form at her lips.

Michael studies her once again, the way her hair was falling against her face, the way her nose looked from the side, the dexterous way her hands moved as she folded different articles of clothing. After a moment, he speaks again, "I started skateboarding when I was 10."
"Oh wow, you've been at it a long time now. I bet you're good at it." She gives a small giggle, which made Michael perk up, "I mean I'm decent, I wouldn't call myself good." He looks down at the ground bashfully. He's never had someone interested in his hobbies.

"Oh Michael, give yourself some credit. I bet you're fantastic. You oughta' show me your skills sometime."
"...Oughta?" Michael looks over at Y/N, she returns his gaze. "Yeah..? What's wrong?"
"You damn Americans and you're weird slang..." he grumbles, which made Y/N laugh briefly. "Ohhhh, that's what you were confused about? I meant you should show me your skateboarding skills sometime."

Michael blushed slightly, "Then just fucking say that. I've never heard anybody say 'oughta' before..! It sounds ridiculous!"
Y/N continues laughing, a look of glee written on her face. "Oh Michael, shut up." She says playfully between sniggers of laughter.

𝙌𝙪𝙞𝙘𝙠 𝙨𝙞𝙙𝙚 𝙣𝙤𝙩𝙚. 𝙄 𝙖𝙙𝙙𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙖𝙛𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙝𝙖𝙙 𝙗𝙚𝙚𝙣 𝙥𝙪𝙗𝙡𝙞𝙨𝙝𝙚𝙙. 𝙄𝙩 𝙨𝙚𝙚𝙢𝙨 𝙖 𝙡𝙤𝙩 𝙤𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙢𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙧𝙨 𝙙𝙤𝙣'𝙩 𝙡𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝙞𝙣 𝘼𝙢𝙚𝙧𝙞𝙘𝙖, 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩'𝙨 𝙛𝙞𝙣𝙚! 𝘽𝙪𝙩 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙥𝙪𝙧𝙥𝙤𝙨𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙨𝙩𝙤𝙧𝙮 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙙𝙤 𝙡𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝙞𝙣 𝘼𝙢𝙚𝙧𝙞𝙘𝙖, 𝙟𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 𝙈𝙞𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙚𝙡 𝙙𝙤𝙚𝙨. 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙛𝙣𝙖𝙛 𝙜𝙖𝙢𝙚𝙨 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙨𝙚𝙩 𝙞𝙣 𝙐𝙩𝙖𝙝, 𝙐𝙣𝙞𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙎𝙩𝙖𝙩𝙚𝙨. 𝙎𝙤 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣 𝙞𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙙𝙤𝙣'𝙩 𝙡𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙐𝙎𝘼 𝙞𝙣 𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙡 𝙡𝙞𝙛𝙚, 𝙥𝙡𝙚𝙖𝙨𝙚 𝙟𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙪𝙨𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙞𝙢𝙖𝙜𝙞𝙣𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣 😭