Chapter 41. The Last Supper

It was now August 24th, it was the day before the first day of school. Michael and Y/N have been dating for 3 months now, and couldn't be happier. Y/N was in her bathroom getting ready to eat dinner with the Aftons. She fixed her hair differently and had been staring at herself in the mirror for almost 5 minutes now. Not because she was vain, but because she had realized summer was over.

She thought back to everything she had been through this summer. Moving different states, meeting Michael and his gang, falling in love, and having her first time. She felt as if she had grown a lot as a person. Starting tomorrow she would now be a junior in high school, with Michael alongside her.

"Y/N!" Mom calls, "Are you ready? My casserole is getting cold!"
"Coming, Mom!" the young teen basically had to pry her eyes away from the mirror, meeting her mom and dad by the front door.

"Bring a jacket, kid," Dad grabs a light jacket belonging to Y/N from the coat rack by the door and hands it to her. "It's not as hot as it used to be. Falls just around the corner." The fabric brushes against her fingers as she slides it on.

The family made their way out the door and across the street, to the lavender two-story house Y/N had grown to know so well. Dad knocks on the door, and William answers it.
"Good evening to you 3," he smiles and gently takes the casserole dish from Mom's hand, "dinner is ready, allow me to put this on the table for you."

William walks ahead and places the dish in the center of the table, the L/N's following close behind.
There Y/N sees Evan, hair slicked back as it always is at family dinners. Elizabeth was in a new pink dress, and her hair was braided with a red ribbon at the crown of her head. And finally, Michael, the boy who had always caught her eye, wearing a plain purple raglan t-shirt and dark blue jeans. His hair was messy, as it always was.

"Hi Y/N!" Elizabeth waves at her, a big grin on her face. Y/N waves back and gave a short smile, looking between Elizabeth and Evan. "Hey guys, long time no see."
Michael had his head propped in his hands, admiring Y/N. He thought she looked quite pretty on this particular night.

"Hey Y/N," Michael spoke, a gentle look on his face, "did you fix your hair differently today? It looks cute."
"Oh, uh, yeah actually. Thanks for noticing." Y/N takes her seat between Michael and Elizabeth.

"Bubby's right! You look like a princess!" Elizabeth reaches a curious hand out to Y/N's hair and ever so lightly pokes it. Michael stares at Y/N lovingly, "You don't just look like one..." he mumbles and looks down shyly. Y/N, not hearing what he said, tilts her head. "What was that, Michael? I didn't hear you."

"Nothing," he smiles

///

The evening began to set as Y/N and Michael sat on the front porch. The rest of their family were sitting inside chatting and eating some dessert. However, the couple wanted a few moments alone. They each had a popsicle in their hand, staring at the setting sun.

"I can't believe summer is over..." Y/N sighs,
"Me neither," Michael takes a lick of his popsicle, "It seems like only yesterday you moved in."
"Is that a good or bad thing?" Y/N furrows her eyebrows.
"Take it however you want," Michael chuckles, "It's just...you really did change me, you know?"

"I'd like to think for the better," Y/N mutters
"It was for the better, but I feel like a completely different person. I feel so...careless, so happy..." he trails off, "I've always had my guard up, but ever since you moved here I felt it start to crumble. It's why I didn't like you from the start, I felt like it was wrong to feel like this."

Y/N looks over at him and began to say something, but she was cut off.

"Hey, guys!" A masculine voice calls to them, the two look over from where it was coming from.
"Chica mask!" they say in unison as Michael stands up to greet him. Chica mask rode over on his skateboard, not wearing a single piece of safety equipment. Typical Chica mask.

Michael and him dab each other up and walk over to Y/N together.
"What are you doing here?" Y/N smiles up at Chica mask, "It's getting late."
"I know, which is exactly why I'm here," he beams, "I wanted to say our final goodbyes before we have to get up for school tomorrow."

Y/N laughs quietly, "Oh yeah, I forgot about that already..."
"Well never fear, because Chica mask is here. Michael and I can show you around the school together, and if you ever get lost, call us. We'll be there in a jiffy to find you."
"Thanks," Y/N laughs half-heartedly, "I feel so confident considering you already assume I'll be getting lost."

"Everybody gets lost on their first day, hell, I still get lost and I've been in that school for 2 years now." Chica mask scratches the back of his head.
"Well, I better get going, I'll see you guys bright and early tomorrow!" he calls to them, already riding off on his skateboard.

Michael and Y/N wave at him as he disappeared into the evening. A moment of silence falls over the two before Y/N speaks up.

"I'm scared I'm gonna get bullied," she chuckles awkwardly, half-joking.
"Relax," Michael nudges her playfully, "the only bullies you had to worry about was me and Chica mask, but you don't need to worry about that now." he laughs. Y/N nodded, not completely sure she was satisfied with that answer.

Michael senses this and grabs her hands, looking into her eyes seriously.
"Listen Y/N, I would never let anyone or anything hurt you...I've never felt that way about anyone."
Y/N looks into his eyes for what seemed to be forever, thinking of a response. It was hard, however, considering she was too busy getting lost in his eyes.

Suddenly, the front door opens making both the teen snap their head to look at whoever opened it. It was Mom and Dad, saying their goodbyes to the Aftons. An empty casserole dish is in Mom's hands.
"Alright, have a good night you guys." Dad smiles, waving goodbye to them.

"Okay, c'mon now kiddo, tell Michael bye. You need your sleep, your big day is tomorrow. First day of high school in a new city." Dad had a cheesy smile on his face when he said that. Y/N rolls her eyes playfully and gets up, "See you tomorrow Michael," she joins her parents as they began to walk home.

Michael sits there, watching her walk away, he basically had hearts in his eyes.
"Goodbye, angel..." he whispers as the family walks in their front door.

Hey guys. Only 2 more chapters left, how exciting!! For the last chapter, I'm doing a Q and A!! Please comment with any questions you have about the book, or about me! I'll be sure to answer them all. 
Much love,
Author <3