Chapter 5. Empty Cardboard

Y/N was just getting out of the shower. Later in the morning she had to go babysit the Afton kids, once William and Michael help her parents unpack the final box of their belongings. She was sitting in her room on the corner of her bed, brushing through her wet hair.

Today was a nice day out, a little cloudy, but still enjoyable, too bad she couldn't enjoy today how she wanted. After a good night's rest, she wasn't as irritated to babysit the children. But the question still lingered in her mind, would Michael be there?

Not that it mattered, it is his house after all. However, Y/N needs to prepare herself mentally to deal with his attitude. She was unprepared for his sharp tongue on the first occasion they met; she didn't want to be unprepared again. She could only hope Michael would warm up to her eventually.

Y/N heard a knock at the front door, she perks up and sets her hairbrush down. "I'll get it!" she calls to her parents and makes a dash towards the door. She was unsurprisingly met with William and Michael, Michael had what appeared to be car oil smudged on his face "Good morning Y/N." William was the first to talk, "How are you this fine morning?"

She steps aside and allows them inside. "I'm great, already had my morning shower." she smiles halfheartedly and gestures to her damp hair. "Well, aren't you productive this morning?" William puts a hand on her shoulder, "Michael and I have been working on the car this morning. It's been giving Vera some trouble on her route to work."
Y/N bites the inside of her cheek, "Ah, car troubles, never fun. I hope it gets fixed soon." she gives the tall man a smile.

"Oh, good morning William!" Dad's voice calls as he walks around the corner, "I didn't even hear you come in." he gives a hearty chuckle, "How are you?"
William smiles and turns towards Dad, giving him a casual handshake. "I'm great D/N, Michael and I were just telling Y/N about our car troubles; if my memory isn't failing me, I mentioned it in the email I sent you last night?"

Dad nodded quickly, "Yes, sir! I remember something about the brakes, did you get the squeaking fixed?"
"Just barely, Michael here did all the dirty work, we just did some simple fixes today, oiled up the brakes." Car oil, so it was car oil smudged on his face. William puts a hand on his son's back and pats it with a look of pride on his face. "Mikey when we're done with this why don't you go home and take a shower, take Y/N with you, she's babysitting Evan and Elizabeth." he turns towards Y/N once again, "Thank you so much for watching them, Vera and I are so grateful."

Michael furrows his eyebrows, he didn't know Y/N was going to be at his house. It annoyed him yeah, but at least he wouldn't have to watch the kids. He crossed his arms and leaned against the wall, he didn't like how much his parents have been talking about her, not to mention his friends too.

His parents have been nagging him ever since Y/N moved here a few days ago, how he should be more like her, how he should hang out with her, how nice her family is. It all annoyed him, he didn't even know her yet and they talked about her like she was the cookie-cutter child, the perfect example.

"It's no trouble," Y/N's voice broke him out of his train of thought. "We'll have lots of fun, don't worry about a thing Mr. Afton."
William pats her shoulder gently, "You are such an Angel, D/N you've done well with her." He nodded his head towards Dad. Y/N smiles slightly and looks at the ground while William and Dad talked more, then she shifts her eyes to Michael. To be more specific, she was looking at his Grim Days t-shirt.

"Cool shirt." She shifts her eyes up from his t-shirt to look into his cold blue eyes.
Michael raised an eyebrow and glances down at his shirt, he doesn't respond to her, he just rolls his eyes. She clears her throat awkwardly and turns back to Dad and William who were finishing their conversation.

"Alright! You guys ready to get this started?" Dad claps his hands and walks closer to the cardboard boxes.
"You bet," Y/N goes over to help him take the tape off the top of the box. Once they ripped it off Y/N takes the flaps of cardboard in her hands and opens it. Inside was a collection of framed photographs, and trinkets belonging to Mom.

"The pictures can go on the coffee table, and these little trinkets can go on the fireplace. It won't take us too long." Dad says as he grabs one of the photographs, it was a photo of Mom and Y/N when Y/N was a little girl.

William nodded promptly and grabs a few of the photographs, he nudges Michael which makes the young teen shoot a glare at his father. He sighs and grabs some trinkets, placing them on the top ledge of the fireplace.

After awhile, the box was empty. No more decorations to hang, which also meant the L/N's were completely moved in. This made Y/N smile as she looked towards the dull brown box, glad to see it empty. This house was starting to look more like home, even if it didn't feel like it yet.

Dad looks around the living room with a content smile, taking in all of the hard work that they've accomplished.
"Doesn't that look better? This place is really looking spiffy, right Y/N?" He puts an arm around his daughter and pulls her into a side hug. Y/N smiles and takes in the look of the place as well, "You know what? You're right Dad. It does look spiffy." She laughs quietly at her father's word choice, she knew her dad was happy, she wanted him to have his moment.

William whistles and takes a moment to look around as well, "It looks lovely D/N! Only been living here less than a week and you're all nestled in. I bet you're knackered from all that work aren't you?."
Dad nodded and lets out a tired sigh, a smile still plastered on his face. "You betcha, thanks again for your help, we could've never done this without you. You folks are too kind."

"It was no trouble, D/N. Stay in touch if you need anything else." William looks toward his son, "Michael, take Y/N to the house will you? I don't want the kids waiting there alone much longer." William smiles towards the two teenagers. Michael gives a short nod and sighs as him and Y/N walk out the front door. The pair make their way out the front door and down the front steps of the porch.

Silence falls over the two.

"Wow, it's really nice out today." Y/N smiles, attempting to make conversation. Michael again, doesn't say anything. Y/N felt her stomach drop, she was hoping he'd be civil to her as he was the day prior. He just kept walking towards his house, ignoring every word that came out of her mouth earlier. Once they got across the street Michael finally speaks up.

"I'm gonna take a shower. Stay out of the bathroom." He says flatly. "Got it?"
Y/N looks over at the boy, car oil still fresh on his cheeks.
"Got it." Is all she replied.