Chapter 23. The Fireworks in His Heart

It was the Fourth of July, a holiday every American is accustomed to. Originally, the holiday began with the signing of the declaration of independence. But as most people know, Americans just have barbecues and shoot fireworks on the Fourth of July. Y/N's family was no different.

Y/N was sitting in her room, she was watching a TV show on Netflix. It was a hot summer's day, she had her desk fan on to cool her off, not to mention Dad turned up the air conditioner. One thing about her dad, he never changed the thermostat until he couldn't handle the sweltering heat. Finally, he must have caved.

A knock at Y/N's door caught her attention. She pauses the TV, "Come in." she calls to whoever was on the other side of the door. Dad walks in with a cheerful smile on his face. "Hey there kiddo, you stayin' cool?"
"Eh, barely, what about you?" she shrugs. Dad chuckles, "Trying my best. Happy Fourth of July, remember we're going to the Afton's tonight, they invited us to a barbecue. I know you won't wanna miss it. Your boyfriend will be there." he winks at her, making Y/N roll her eyes.

"Dad, stop it." She groans, "It's not funny."
Dad laughs and waves his hand at her dismissively, "I'm just giving you a hard time, kid. You know I like Michael."
"Well yeah, but you're embarrassing me. You better not do it at the barbecue." She crosses her arms, the last night she wanted was for Dad to make her look stupid in front of Michael.
"I won't, I won't; I don't wanna bother you any longer. Just be ready in about 20 minutes, alright?"
"Yes Dad," Y/N sighs, unpausing the TV. Still recovering from her dad's teasing.

///

Y/N and her parents were arriving at the Afton's residence. Dad knocked on the door and put his arm around Mom; who had a bowl of watermelon in her arms. Y/N could hear footsteps on the other side. The door swings open and the L/N's were met with the tall familiar brunette, Michael. He immediately steps aside to allow them in, his eyes darting to Y/N

"Yo, Mr. and Mrs. L/N, lovely afternoon we're having." he smiles politely. Would Michael ever be this polite to anybody? No. He just wanted to get on their good side, after all, he is dating their daughter. There's more at stake now

"Why yes, it is! Happy Fourth of July." Mom gives him a warm expression as they step inside, Y/N tries not to laugh at Michael's fake politeness. She knew for a fact he doesn't even talk to his own parents like this, let alone hers.

Mom and Dad walk to the kitchen to set the bowl of watermelon down, leaving Y/N and Michael in the entryway. Y/N covers her mouth and lets out a quiet snicker, "What was that about?" Michael immediately knew what she was referring to, and rolls his eyes. "Pardon me shithead, but I want to make a good impression on your mum and dad." he follows up his playful insult with a smile, cupping her cheek with his hand. "I missed you,"

Y/N felt her stomach do flips once his hand made contact with her skin. His hands were so warm she felt as if she could melt into them. "I missed you too," Y/N leans into his touch. After a few moments of staring into each other's eyes, a sound of rapid footsteps approaching made the teens snap their heads to look at the kitchen entryway, and Michael retracts his hand.

Elizabeth runs up to them, not witnessing their exchange. She jumps into Y/N's arms, "Y/N! Y/N! You're here!" Y/N holds her up in her arms and smiles, "Hey Elizabeth! Happy Fourth of July, you look so pretty."

Y/N noticed how Elizabeth had her hair in two pigtails, a red bow in each one. She wore a white shirt and a blue ruffly skirt, her outfit was coordinated with the colors of the American flag. Which was strange considering they were British, but then again, they were having a barbecue to commemorate the holiday.

"Thank you, my mummy did my hair for me! You look pretty too Y/N! I love your shirt."
"Why thank you, Elizabeth." She boops the child's nose playfully, making her giggle. She squirms out of Y/N's arms, "Come on, Daddy and Evan are outside! Let's go." Elizabeth runs off, gesturing for her Y/N and Michael to come with.