Chapter 31. Perky Distractions

𝙎𝙡𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙉𝙎𝙁𝙒 𝙬𝙖𝙧𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙜?

𝙈𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙤𝙛 𝙨𝙚𝙭𝙪𝙖𝙡 𝙞𝙣𝙪𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙤𝙨/𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙢𝙚𝙨 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙩𝙚𝙖𝙨𝙞𝙣𝙜

Y/N was waiting patiently for Michael to come over. Today William recruited Michael and Y/N to help him do some work around the garage; austere tasks such as hanging up tools, organizing drawers, filling up oil cans. Y/N wore an old t-shirt, over time the top seemed to fit tighter around her. She knew she would be getting relatively dirty, and couldn't bear to see any of her clothes get those obstinate grease stains, so she merely decided to wear an old shirt.

She perks up once the door opened, Michael comes over so often he doesn't even bother knocking. He peeked his head in the door and quickly spotted Y/N, "You ready, love? Dad's waiting."
Y/N nodded and hops off the couch, Michael opens the door more to allow her to walk outside. He gives her a short hug, savoring the smell of Y/N that he's grown to love so much.

He felt like a creep for acknowledging it, but Y/N always smelled really good. Whenever he hugged her he wanted to seize some of the aroma and keep it with him. When he found himself missing her more than usual, the first thing he thinks of is how good she smells, how that fragrance lingers on his clothes when she grazes them.

Once they part from the hug, Michael makes conversation. "So shithead, what's new with you? You look beautiful today, I must admit." a small smile was on his lips as he studied her.
"Same ol' same ol'," Y/N shrugs, "And thank you, you look decent today as well." she pokes at his chest playfully.

Michael poked her side in retaliation, "And that shocks you? Look at me, I'm sexy as hell." he smirks confidently, earning an eye roll from Y/N, "Keep dreaming, it might come true." she says sarcastically, nudging him with her elbow.
"I can't, I'm too busy dreaming about you~" he wiggled his eyebrows suggestively and tries holding back his laughter, he knew how cheesy the pickup line was. Y/N gives him a fake disgusted look as they walk across the street to the Afton's house, "Do I want to know what those dreams are about?"

"Mm, depends," Michael looks over at her, "How PG are we keeping it?"
Y/N felt herself blush at the statement and open her mouth slightly to say something, but her mind couldn't think of anything. She just shuts her mouth and looks down at the ground, still blushing. Michael notices the crimson on her cheeks and laughs quietly, "It's so funny seeing you embarrassed, you make it too easy."

The two walk into the garage to be met with William. He was sitting on a stool tightening the bolts on a metal figure that Y/N couldn't figure out. It looked to be an arm of a robot.
"Hello Y/N darling, it's a brilliant day," William's cheerful voice makes the couple both turn their heads to look at him. Y/N gives him a small smile, "It sure is, what're the kids doing?"

"Elizabeth is at her friend's house having a playdate, and Evan is with Vera grocery shopping. They'll be back quite soon I imagine, you're welcome to stay for dinner." William grunts as he tightens a joint.
"I may take you up on that offer," Y/N holds Michael's hand and squeezes it. "What can me and Michael do to help you?"

"Well I need to do some house-work, just some measly chores, while I do that could you and Michael merely do some organizing? I'd appreciate it deeply."
"Yeah, no problem! Leave it all up to us, we'll knock it out of the park." she gives William a thumbs up, her enthusiasm made the man smile. "I love the positivity, I just like you better and better every day Y/N." William gets up off his stool and chuckles to himself, "Michael you better be good to her, she's quite the little darling." with that, William left them be to start their work.

///

Michael was filling up grease cans, meanwhile, Y/N was organizing William's wrench drawer. The tasks were insignificant, and admittedly a little mundane, however, they were having fun doing it together.

They were making small talk as they worked, but Michael would often catch his eye wandering elsewhere than the red dusty gas cans. Y/N. Of course, he was staring at her. How could he not? She distracted him greatly, not by her talking, but rather by her presence.

Being in her presence was ethereal, it seemingly captivated Michael into some sort of trance. Ever since he met her, he was never able to get her out of his head. It's why he hated her so much, because a heart like Michael's was nowhere near good enough for a perfect heart like hers.

Michael's eyes captured her again, and Y/N didn't appear to notice. She just continues rambling about her day while she labored. Michael's eyes locked on her shirt, more notably her chest. Her t-shirt wasn't indecent in the slightest, but it was remarkably tight. He gulped as his eyes shifted between not one, but two things preoccupying him.

"Michael?" Y/N crossed her arms and rested them against her chest. Her chest...
"Uh, yeah?" Michael answered cooly as if he wasn't thoroughly checking her out.
"Were you even listening?"
"Of course I was, why wouldn't I be?" Michael was boldly telling a white lie, but in his eyes, it was better than getting caught checking her out.
"Alright, just making sure. You kept looking at my shirt."

"Oh yeah, I just had a question about it. How old is that shirt? It just looked worn out, that's all." he shrugs, he was entirely winging this entire exchange. But surprisingly, he was successful at it.
"Like 2-3 years old now, I just didn't want any of my new shirts to get ruined, that's why I wore it."

"Ah," Michael looks back towards the red sun-bleached gas can in front of him, "Makes sense,"
Y/N then continued to ramble on about whatever topics came to mind, from a new candle she purchased, to her mom's birthday, it was clear she was just ranting. And Michael didn't mind one bit.

After all, he'd listen to that angelic voice of hers until sundown if it meant he could go back to staring at some perky distractions.