Chapter 26. It's Raining it's Pouring

The air was humid and thick, which could only mean one thing. It was going to rain. Mom and Dad had already told Y/N to stay in the neighborhood if she went out today, to which Y/N would groan and tell them she already knew that. Dad was sitting by the living room windows with a cup of coffee by his side, it's a custom for most dads to enjoy watching storms, but Y/N never knew why. What enjoyment could you possibly get from watching something as minuscule as the rain?

Y/N was sitting in her room texting Michael, she had been texting him for hours. They were going back and forth complaining about their parents, as most teenagers do. Michael asked Y/N if she had any plans, Y/N did not. The rain may have prevented them from many activities, but Michael still wanted to spend time with her. Every second they're not together Y/N is the only thing on his mind.

Michael got an idea of what he and Y/N could do. He immediately texted her to come over, anytime Y/N would ask why he kept telling her it was a surprise.
Y/N put on her jacket and slipped on her shoes, calling a short goodbye to her parents. She ran across the street, the droplets of water falling down onto her head. When she got to the Afton's house she jumped onto the porch and knocked on the door hurriedly.

Michael opens the front door and steps aside to let Y/N in. When she walked inside, Y/N took off her shoes to prevent mud from getting on the clean floors. She was shivering from the seemingly frigid air of the house against her damp jacket.
Michael had a concerned look on his face, "Oh love, you're soaked, c'mere," he holds his arms out for a hug. Y/N graciously accepts the affection and slumps into his arms, "I'm not soaked, I'll be fine." She sputters out between shivers.

Michael pulls her close to his chest to warm her up. "Come to my room for a while, won't you?" he gives her a tender kiss on the forehead. Y/N blushed slightly and nodded, holding onto his arm as they walked upstairs. Y/N could hear the TV coming from William and Vera's bedroom, they must be watching a movie. "Where's Evan? Or Elizabeth?" she tilts her head at Michael once they enter his room.

"Taking a nap in Evan's room. I'd let you go see them, but they just got to sleep." he sits on the bed and pats the spot next to him gently. "Sit, love," he commanded softly. Y/N nodded and sat where he told her to, looking out the window as she did so. "I hope it starts to clear up soon, the rain is so fucking cold." Y/N laughs half-heartedly.

Michael sighs, "You're so careless, don't you have an umbrella? Hell, even a raincoat?"
"Yeah, I just didn't think to grab them," Y/N replied flatly. Michael pats his lap, "C'mere," 
She tilts her head, "What do you mean?" "I mean come sit on my lap, idiot." he rolled his eyes, "I know you're cold. Let me keep you warm."

Y/N crawls onto his lap hesitantly, in response, Michael wraps his arms around her and pulls her closer. Y/N lets out a quiet squeak when he does this, eventually melting into his arms. Michael felt his heartbeat speed up as he looked down at her. She looked so peaceful laying against him like that. Her delicate frame curled up on his lap, how steady her breathing was, or how cute the small smile on her face looked as she pressed her face into his chest more.

Michael felt the urge to protect this girl with his life. He knew she was capable of protecting herself, he knew she was just as strong and determined as he was, but he wanted to feel special to her. He had longed to feel accepted by her in the past, so much so he found himself being a huge jerk to her; self-sabotaging his chances. But he had eventually won her heart, and that's all that mattered.

"Y/N?" Michael mumbles against her head softly.
"Yes, Michael?" She turned her head upwards to look at the boy.
"How could I ever make it up to you?"

Y/N was puzzled at this, what did he mean? And where was the seriousness of his tone coming from? "Make it up to me..?"
Without missing a beat, Michael nodded, "Yeah, I need to know. I realize how much of an ass I was to you, I've known that for a while now...I know that stuff is behind us, but I still feel like I need to make it up to you."

Y/N thought about it for a moment, "You know..." she shifts her gaze to look into his brilliant blue eyes, "I think I know how you can make it up to me."
Michael immediately widens his eyes, eager to do whatever it took. "How..? I'll do anything..!" He knew she had already forgiven him, but he hadn't quite forgiven himself.

"You have to answer a question for me,"
"Yes, what is it?"
"What's going on with you and your dad?"

Michael goes dead silent, his face gone pale. He attempts to look away from her gaze, but as he did Y/N placed her hands on either side of his face. "No, Michael," she stated firmly, "We've avoided this for too long, just tell me."
Michael stammers, his stomach was churning. He had never told anybody the truth about his dad. Everyone knew the Afton's like the 'American-Dream', happy family, successful, nice house, well-mannered kids raised by cookie-cutter parents. The truth, however, was much darker.

"I can't...I-" Michael lets out a weak breath of air, tears beginning to collect at the corners of his eyes. Y/N softens her expression and widens her eyes, "Michael..? Michael are you okay..?"
Michael covers his face with his hands, he couldn't let Y/N see him cry. In fact, he was too scared to even cry in the first place.

Michael began to softly cry into his hands. He already told Y/N he'd do anything it took to make it up to her, but he was unprepared to tell her about this. There wasn't enough time in the world for him to prepare. Y/N wraps her arms around him lovingly, "Take your time...I'm right here..."

"If I tell you...promise me you won't tell anybody..." Michael managed to say between hiccups for air, "Please don't leave me if I tell you..." the look of desperation in his eyes told Y/N he was terrified, knowing this, Y/N gave him her word. She promised not to say a single word of this to anybody.

Once Michael calmed down enough to speak, he began telling Y/N.
"To put it bluntly, when my dad gets mad at me he hits me. It's usually not a big deal, just a quick strike to the face. I probably deserve it anyway for pissing him off...I'm always scared for my life around him, it's never when he's sober though. When he gets drunk it feels different."
Y/N stares into Michael's eyes with care, showing him that he had her full attention. "What do you mean by different?"

Michael squirms slightly and stares at the ground, "...This is the part you have to promise you're never going to tell anyone..."
Y/N wraps her arms around Michael tightly, "Michael I'd put my hand on the Bible and swear on my life, I'll never tell a single soul."
After a second to collect his thoughts, Michael nodded slowly. "My dad has killed before..."