Chapter 29. Just His Wish

July 12th, the day finally came; Michael Afton's birthday.
Y/N was in the kitchen taking a batch of cookies out of the oven. She knew how much Michael liked pastries, especially cookies. She made his favorite, snickerdoodle.

She sets the sheet of cookies on the counter to cool, next to a gift bag of things she purchased for Michael, and shuts off the oven. She slides the oven-mitts off her hands and sighs happily as she looks down at the cookies. They turned out golden brown, perfect.

"Hey, there kiddo, what are you up to?" Dad walks into the kitchen and quickly spots the cookies. "Oh, how sweet of you, makin' all those cookies for your dear old man." Dad chuckles playfully.
"Dad they're not for you. It's Michael's birthday today, these are for him." Y/N leans on the counter and smiles, "I hope he likes them,"

"I'm just giving you a hard time kid, he's gonna love 'em. You inherited your mother's baking skills that's for sure."
"I'm not too sure about that, Dad." Y/N laughs quietly "It's a miracle I didn't burn these."
Dad pats her head, "Don't be so hard on yourself, I knew you'd do just fine, and I was right! They smell great."
Y/N smiles softly, "Thanks Dad, it means a lot."

Y/N grabs a spatula and places the cookies on a plate. "I'm going to Michael's for a few hours. I'll be back tonight," she called to her father before grabbing the gift bag she previously set on the counter and running out the door.

Every step she took against the hot asphalt road made little taps as her legs seemingly carried themself to the Afton's. It was muscle memory at this point, whenever she's not at her own house she's at his.

She knocked on the door, panting quietly to catch her breath. Vera opens the door, "Hello Y/N, lovely weather we're having!" she steps aside and Y/N takes the opportunity to feel the cool air conditioner against her flushed face, "Yeah for sure, just a little too hot for my liking." she chuckles half-heartedly.

Vera nodded, "Oh yes! It's sweltering out, but that's more bearable than the cold, don't you think?"
Y/N took off her shoes and nodded, "I can agree on that," she smiles. Ending their small conversation, Y/N makes her way upstairs to find Michael.

Commotion was heard from Michael's room beyond his closed bedroom door. Y/N tilts her head and quietly opens the door to see what was going on. She peeks through the door and smiles at the sight.
Elizabeth was on Michael's back, and Evan was clinging to Michael's leg; they were only rough-housing, but it was comical yet, cute to witness. Y/N makes her presence known, "Now what's going on in here?" she raised an eyebrow, a playful smirk on her face.

Elizabeth and Evan yelp and giggle in surprise, "Y/N!" they both cheer in unison. Michael smiles once he sees Y/N, "Hey Y/N, what's up?"
Y/N sets the plate of cookies down on Michael's desk alongside his present, "Nothing much, just here to see the birthday boy. 16? Sheesh, you're old."
Michael rolls his eyes, "Oh shut it, I look distinguished for my age."

"Elizabeth! Evan! Won't you be a dear and help Mummy?" Vera calls from the kitchen. The two children run out of Michael's room, "Coming, Mum!"
Once the children run out of the room Michael shifts his gaze to Y/N, a devilish smile on his face. "Hey there babe~" he winks, Y/N shoves him playfully, "And you tell me to shut up? You're gonna make me puke." She giggles. "Here, open your gift."

Michael sits on the bed and grabs the gift bag, "Is anything gonna jump out and bite me?" he asked jokingly, Y/N just rolled her eyes and denied it.
Michael pulls out the gift inside and smiles once he sees it, "A Toronto Maple Leaf hoodie? Y/N that's sick I love it." he wraps his arms around her

Y/N smiles, "I'm glad you like it, I made snickerdoodles too." she gestures to the plate of sweets. "I noticed, you made my favorite, thank you love." He kissed her cheek.
"It was no trouble at all, I'm glad you liked it."

Michael looks down at the new hoodie and smiles as he looks it over, a voice from the kitchen interrupts him.
"Michael! Y/N! Come downstairs please!" William's voice came from downstairs. Y/N and Michael perk up and look between each other, "Alright, coming Dad!" Michael calls back. The two make their way downstairs.

"Happy Birthday!" his entire family cheers in unison as soon as the couple walks downstairs. Michael flinches, the surprise catching him off guard.
There was a small homemade birthday cake on the kitchen counter, his whole family was gathered around it.

"Happy Birthday, son," William comes around to Michael and pats his shoulder, "you've grown up so much."
Y/N gives William a side glance for a moment, ever since Michael told her the truth about William she knew in her heart she could never look at William the same.
"Thanks, Dad," Michael smiles slightly.

"What are you waiting for, Michael? Come here and blow out your candles." His mum ushered. Michael holds Y/N's hand and walks over to the cake, his mum flicks a small lighter she had in her hand. The flame catches on the candle-wicks as William turns off the lights. The warm glow of the candles glows against Michael's face as he looks down on them.

"1,2,3..." His mum counts down, and they all promptly sing the Happy Birthday song. Y/N squeezes his hand lovingly as she sang, she stared directly at his features under the flames. His strong jawline, spirited blue eyes, and sunkissed skin. Michael blushed from all the attention but continued to stare at his cake.

Once the song commenced Michael blew out all the candles, making everyone clap. "You know what they say bubby if you blow out all the candles your wish will come true!" Elizabeth tugs on his arm and beams up at him.
"That's true," Vera pats Elizabeth on the head and looks over at Michael, "What did you wish for, dear?"

Michael tried holding back a small smirk, "I think I'll keep it to myself for now," he gives Y/N's hand a gentle squeeze. Y/N tilts her head slightly at him, curious to know why he was so secretive about his wish, but Michael just gave her a wink.

"Alright, it's cake time. Kids, grab a plate," William claps his hands together happily.