Chapter 9. Candle Flicker

After her talk with Dad, Y/N was going to try giving Michael a chance, and to her surprise, she'd have the perfect opportunity tonight. William and Vera invited the L/N's to eat dinner at their house.

Mom was occupying the bathroom doing her hair, the sound of the blow dryer filled the room. Dad was in their bedroom picking out a nice shirt to wear, he was deciding between a polo or a full button-down. Meanwhile, Y/N was in her bedroom deciding what to do with her hair, or if her outfit was proper for the occasion. It was a little nerve-wracking seeing Michael so soon after the incident.

She looks down at her outfit absently and lets her mind wander about Michael. The whole situation was wild, but in what little defense Michael has, he never said a word to her. Which was better than him saying the things his friends did. Unlike his friends, Michael kept to himself. It was wrong of him not to jump in and tell them to stop, but he wasn't completely responsible.

Y/N kept trying to forgive him, telling herself over and over that she needs to give him a chance like Dad said. She needed to see the real Michael, not an act he puts up. She wanted to see past his rough, manly persona, and look into his true nature; if he had a true nature.

"Y/N!" Mom calls from the dining room, which brings Y/N out of her thoughts. "Are you ready?"
"Yep!" she calls back, grabbing her phone and a small jacket before heading out her bedroom door. Mom had a casserole dish in her hands, "We're bringing baked mac and cheese, I hope they like it." she smiles. Y/N shrugs, "I mean I'm sure they will, who doesn't like mac and cheese?"
Mom pats her head, "You're right, c'mon let's go, your dad's waiting in the kitchen."

Dad was putting on his jacket when they met him in the kitchen. "Hey there, girls!" he perks up when he sees them, "You ready to get some grub? The Afton's are waitin'." Mom nodded, "You bet!" she carried the casserole dish with one hand and held Dad's hand with the other. Y/N walked behind them, her hands shoved in her pockets.

After the short walk across the street, they arrive at the Afton's residence. The chilly summers night was peaceful, the crickets were chirping loudly, and the cicadas were singing a song.

Dad knocks on the door, through the other side of the door you could hear Vera's voice calling to her children, "Kids! Somebody get the door, please! The L/N's are here."

Y/N laughs quietly and rocks on her heels slightly. The door opens and the L/N's were met with Elizabeth. She was in a pink dinner dress, a red ribbon neatly nestled in her blonde hair. "Hello!" she steps aside and lets them in.

"Well hello there Elizabeth, how are you, young lady?" Dad beams down at the little girl, "I'm good!" she chirps and turns to Y/N, "Hi Y/N! I missed you." she giggles and grabs Y/N's hand, leading her to the dining room where Michael and Evan were. Mom and Dad look between each other and smile, "Looks like those two get along." Dad squeezes Moms hand and sighs happily.

The dining room was neatly set, only a few candles lit the room, the lighting was gentle. Evan was sat next to Michael on the far left-hand side of the dining table, staring down at the empty plate in front of him blankly. At each seat there was a plate in front of it, alongside some silverware and an empty glass. "Lookie! Y/N is here!" Elizabeth cheers, pulling out a chair across from Michael for the young teen to sit at, "Sit here! I wanna sit next to
you!"

Y/N happily takes the seat and nodded, "Of course, I'm always happy to sit with you." She then turns her attention to Evan.
Evan had his usually shaggy hair slicked back neatly for once, his entire face was exposed. His Mom or Dad probably fixed it for him, Y/N knew how shy Evan was, and she knew how hiding behind his bangs made him feel comfortable. "And how are you, Evan? It's been awhile." She gives him a soft look, her features seemed to glow under the dim lighting of the dining room.