Chapter 35. Big Brother Michael

Yesterday Y/N got the text from Michael that Evan's birthday was the next day. The same day she received the text she got an invite from Mr. and Mrs. Afton to his party. Evan was having his birthday party at Fredbears Family Diner, the same diner William owned, and the same diner Y/N's parents make animatronic parts for. The decently sized diner serves mainly pizza and ice cream. It was commonplace for children to have their birthday parties there.

Y/N had already gotten Evan a gift, she got him new soccer cleats. Y/N knew he played soccer, and his current shoes were worn out and stained with grass beyond a washing. The cleats came in a small shoebox, she taped a birthday card to the box wrapped in purple wrapping paper. It was bright purple, with yellow squiggle lines. And the birthday card was in a plain white envelope, the words "To Evan, happy birthday" written on the front in black ink.

Y/N would ride with the Aftons to the party to help set it up. Currently, she was excitedly getting ready for the party. She wore nicer clothes than usual but still kept it casual, she wanted to show Evan she cared.
Ever since Y/N has dated Michael, he has been substantially nicer to Evan. He stopped bullying him and even made an effort to hang out with him. It was admirable to see how he changed so much in the span of a month and a half. And it was all thanks to Y/N.

"Y/N!" her mom called from the kitchen, "The Aftons are here!"
Y/N grabbed her wrapped present, and her phone, making a dash for the door. When she emerged from around the corner, Michael was standing in the kitchen by the front door. He was wearing a dark purple shirt, his hair was messy, his expression flat. Typical Michael.

Mom smiled once she saw her daughter, "Wow Y/N, you look great. Right Michael?" she looked towards the boy. Michael smirked and nodded, "You bet, somebody got all dolled up." he winked, making Y/N blush. "Guys..." she brushed their complements off. She gave her mom a quick hug goodbye and walked outside with Michael.

The Afton were waiting parked in their driveway, "Hello Y/N!" William called from the driver's seat, his window was rolled down, "Beautiful day, isn't it?"
Y/N nodded, "Oh yeah it is, we don't get many nice days like this in the late summer. Evan sure lucked out."

Michael opened the car door for her and let her in, once she was sitting in her seat, Michael climbed in the car and shut the door. Once everybody was buckled, they made their way to the diner.

///

The car pulls into the parking lot of the diner. The family gets out of the car and makes their way inside. Y/N was holding her gift, while Michael held a large gift bag. It was Evans present from the whole family.

"What'd you get him?" Y/N leans over and whispered to Michael. Michael smiles and leans by her ear, "We got him a lego set, he's been eying it at the store for months."
Y/N nodded and smiles softly, "I'm sure he'll love it,"

Michael and Y/N push open the glass double doors to allow Evan inside. But when Y/N looked back at the young boy, he was scared. She tilts her head, "Evan? Aren't you excited about your party?"
Evan shakes his head, his body was trembling.  Y/N was about to ask him why he would be scared to enter the diner, considering his father owned it. But before she could ask, William and Vera came up behind him and they each held his hand.

"Oh come on dear, there's nothing to be scared of." Vera ushers gently. Evan made a small whimper and clung to his mother's leg. "I don't want to!"
"Evan, come on." William picked him up, forcing him to go inside with him.

Y/N looked at Michael with an illogical gaze, she was confused. Michael gave her a side glance and mouthed the words, "I'll tell you later."
Y/N, satisfied with that answer, nodded and walked inside too.

The whole place was filled with color. Baby blue checkered tiles and cherry red dining booths. There was a vintage jukebox in the corner playing children's music, and a large stage at the front of the room. An animatronic rabbit and bear were singing and dancing on top of it. Both animatronics were golden yellow.

"Wow, this place is gorgeous, Mr. Afton," Y/N said in awe, "I would've loved to have my birthday party here when I was Evan's age." she laughs quietly. William smiled down at her, "Thank you, Y/N, I remember building this place with my friend Henry years ago."

Michael grabbed Y/N's hand, "The diner is closed today for Evan's party. So you can set the present on one of the tables." he gestures to the dining booth closest to them and sets down the large gift bag. Y/N sets her gift box down and looks around more, "Who all is coming to the party?" "Some of Evan's friends, I can't be bothered to remember their names." Michael shrugs, his remark made Y/N laugh and punch his shoulder playfully.

The door opens, making everybody turn their heads. None of the guests were supposed to arrive for another 10 minutes. But there was Chica Mask, walking in the door with a gift in hand. Michael didn't even invite him to the party or tell him about it.

"Chica Mask?" Michael widened his eyes. Mr. and Mrs. Afton smiled at the teenage boy, "Chica Mask, what a lovely surprise." Vera claps her hands together happily. William pats his shoulder, "Chica Mask, how have you been boy?"

"I've been good. I knew I couldn't miss Evan's special day," Chica mask smiles and nodded his head toward Michael, "Sorry for crashing the party, but I had a gift." he walks over to Y/N and Michael, setting the present on the table next to Y/N's.

Evan smiles slightly, he was still holding onto his father in slight fear. He was a little less uneasy about having his party at the diner.
"And I invited more guests, they wanted to give little man some presents." he gives Evan a gentle fist bump. "And apologize to Michael."

Y/N assumed who Chica Mask invited. It must've been their old friend group. She didn't know how Michael would react, anytime she brought them up he'd snap and tell her they were good for nothing scumags. But if they came for Evan, with gifts and apologies, it's not like Michael could tell them to get lost. Not on Evan's special day.

///

Evan's friends all arrived at the party. They were gathered around the stage playing and watching the animatronics sing. Y/N sat at the booth closest to the stage with Michael and Chica Mask. The group was all catching up, and waiting for the other to arrive. 

Right then, two teenage boys walk in. Bonnie Mask, and Freddy mask. Freddy mask had his head down as he walked in, and Bonnie mask quickly spotted Michael and walked towards him. Freddy mask was trudging close behind.

"Yo dudes, glad you could make it. Leave your presents on that table." Chica mask pointed to the table filled with gifts.
Michael scooted closer to Y/N protectively and put his arm around her. He glared at Freddy mask and Bonnie mask, to which Freddy returned the look; until Bonnie mask shoved him.
"Don't you guys have something to say?" Chica mask hinted.

Bonnie mask nodded and looks Michael in the eye apologetically, "Yes, we do. I'm sorry Michael. We're sorry Michael."
Freddy mask nodded, "It won't happen again Michael, we learned our lesson." he looks at Y/N, "And I'm sorry to you too, the whole reason we fought was because of you..."Y/N nodded in understanding, "It's okay guys, it was in the past."

They all share a look, and all cough awkwardly. "Well...is Evan having a good birthday?" Bonnie mask looks over at the group of children.
"Yeah, he said thanks in advance for the gifts," Michael said flatly. "Speaking of Evan..."

Michael excuses himself from the booth and walks over to Evan. He bends down to get to eye-level with the little boy and smiles. "Hey Evan, you wanna see Fredbear?"
Evan shakes his head quickly, "No! I don't wanna! He's scary!" the little boy began tearing up. "He's gonna hurt me! Michael don't let him hurt me!"

Y/N watched from the booth, "Michael I don't think-..." before she could finish her sentence, Michael had already picked up his brother and held him on his hip. Evan was holding onto Michael in pure terror. He couldn't even bear to look at the animatronic that scared him so terribly. 

"Hey, Evan, relax. I got you." Michael holds him securely and wipes away his tears, "I'd never let Fredbear hurt you. I promise. I'll protect you."

Evan looks up at him with red puffy eyes.

"I'll always protect you." Michael affirmed