Chapter 12. The Gracious Loser

Michael was still sat at his desk drumming his fingers along the wood as he sulked. Every once in awhile he'd hear laughter erupt from Elizabeth's room. It made him cover his ears in annoyance. He already felt bad enough for making Elizabeth cry earlier, he didn't need reminding how happy Y/N made her.

"Kids! Dinner's here!" Michael's mom beckons from downstairs.
He heard the door from Elizabeth's room fling open, along with two sets of footsteps bolting down the stairs. He sighs and slowly stands up, trudging his way downstairs as well. When he turned the corner of the staircase, he spotted his sister and Y/N already sat at the table. They each had a plate of pizza in front of them.

"Hello Michael, how's your day been?" Vera was at the sink doing the dishes. She dries her hands off and hands him a plate with a gentle smile on her face. "I haven't seen you all day, love."

Michael just shrugs his shoulders and grabs a single slice of cheese pizza. Since Y/N was staying the night, his mom ordered pizza, so far that's been the only good thing that came out of Y/N being there. At least, that's what Michael thought.

He sits in the seat across from Y/N not having the guts to say a word, nor even look up at her. He just stares down at his pizza absently.

"Mrs. Afton? Where's Evan? I haven't seen him all day." Y/N tilts her head.
"William took him to soccer practice. He should get home around 6:30, so he won't be much longer." Vera turns around to look at
Y/N.

"Ah, alright." Y/N smiles, "I didn't know Evan did soccer."
Elizabeth and Y/N resume conversation, talking about minuscule things. Like what boardgames they would play tonight, or movies they could watch. Michael wasn't paying much attention.

"We could also play video games!" Elizabeth smiles, which caught Michaels attention. The only way they could play video games was through his Nintendo Switch. "Bubby, do you wanna play Mario Kart with us?" He perks up and furrows his eyebrows at her.

"I mean sure, you guys can play on my Nintendo Switch."
"No bubby! Do you wanna play with us? You're super good at that game."
He stares at his little sister a moment, he assumed she was still mad at him. Sure, she's a kid and can't really hold grudges. But she forgave him quicker than he thought.

"...Oh, uh..." he shifts his gaze to Y/N, who was sat next to Elizabeth.
She raised both her eyebrows at Michael, "Well, you wanna play with us or not?" Y/N spoke, a smirk plastered on her face. "Or are you afraid I'll kick your butt?" She winks at Michael.

Michael bites his lip slightly and narrows his eyes, "Oh yeah? You really think you can beat me? That's big talk coming from you, Y/N." He couldn't help but crack a smile, "Fine, I'll play. Only to show you both how awesome I am."

Elizabeth giggles happily, "Yay! This is gonna be so much fun!" She claps her hands excitedly.
"Elizabeth I know you're excited," Vera calls to her from the kitchen, still washing the dishes.
"but eat you dinner, darling."
"Yes Mum," Elizabeth pouts playfully and continued eating her pizza.

After about 10 minutes, Y/N heard the front door open. William and Evan came in through the door, Evan had a soccer ball in his hand, he held his dads hand with the other.
"Honey, we're home!" William beams as he walks into the kitchen with Evan. "You should've seen how Evan played, he did great." He kissed his wife's cheek.

Evan walks to the dining room and froze when he sees Y/N.
"Oh...I didn't know you'd be here. Hi Y/N." He looks away shyly. Y/N softens her look at the boy in attempt to loosen him up. "Hey there Evan, we were just about to play some Mario Kart. Would you like to play?"

He looks up at her quickly, "Really..? You'd let me play too?"
"Of course, it's always more fun to play when there's more people." She stands up and sets her dirty plate by the sink. "C'mon, let's go play."

///

The four of them were sat in the living room. Michael hooked up his Nintendo Switch to the TV so they could all have a better view of the screen. He hands a controller to Evan and Elizabeth, then one to Y/N.

"Is everyone alright if we play with teams?" Michael sits down on the couch between Evan and Y/N.
"Yeah! Evan, you should be on my team!" Elizabeth's looks over at her younger brother, "We're gonna kick bubby and Y/N's butt!" She giggles.

They pick their characters, and settle teams. Michael and Y/N vs. Evan and Elizabeth.
Since she was the guest, Michael lets Y/N pick the courses they raced at. Y/N was surprised that Michael was being a little nicer to her than usual. But she wasn't complaining, she would take what she can get.

They began the race and immediately Michael was in 1st place and Y/N was in 2nd, which earned a 'Hey!' From Elizabeth. Her and Evan slowly got closer and closer to 1st place. Elizabeth was in 5th, and Evan was in 6th.

Elizabeth threw a blue shell towards Michael. Once it hit him, it sent him back to 7th place.
"Fuck! Y/N go, go, go!" He tried reclaiming his spot at number one, but he was too far behind.

"Y/N you can win this for us! Don't mess up!" He bites his lip and makes his way to 5th place.
Y/N had her eyes concentrated on the TV screen in front of her. She was now in 1st place, her eyes never looked away from the TV. She was dangerously close to the finish line. Anticipation coursed through Michaels veins as he watched her inch her way closer.

Finally, Y/N's kart passed the finish line. She made it, in 1st place.
Michael uses a mushroom to speed up, which bumps him to 2nd place. He crosses the finish line and drops his controller in victory.

"Let's fucking go!" He fist pumps the air excitedly. "That was sick, Y/N." He had a huge grin on his face. Y/N smiles, she was happy he was being decent to her for once. He was actually fun to hang out with when he was nice.

Elizabeth and Evans eyes were wide in awe, "Woah, you're both so good at this game!" Elizabeth turns her head to look at Y/N, "Can you teach me how to be that good?"
Y/N smiles and pats her head, "It just takes practice, that's all."

As the four of them continued to play their game, Michael would occasionally glance over at Y/N. She was good at Mario Kart, he had to give her that. But this didn't change how he felt about her. She's still annoying, it's not like a game of Mario Kart could change that.

After she went home tomorrow he hopefully wouldn't have to deal with her for awhile. Elizabeth and Evan usually went to Y/N's house anyway, luckily for Michael.

He was sick of her outdoing him at practically everything, as of lately it's been more than usual. He wished the rest of his family saw all her flaws the way he did, she wasn't the cookie-cutter-child they made her out to be.

He glances over at her once again and felt his chest tighten, she was really good at this game. In fact, she seemed to be better than Michael, which pissed him off even more. 'Is there anything she isn't good at?' He thinks to himself, gripping the gaming controller harder in frustration. 'I'm better than her at this anyway. She's just gotten lucky...'

He focuses his gaze on the TV and lets out a quiet breath of frustration. 'How does she manage to be so perfect? How does she not get on her own nerves? She's so sickening.'

He furrows his eyebrows in concentration and bites his bottom lip, throwing a red shell at Y/N, causing her to get set back to 3rd place. Giving Michael the opportunity to steal 1st place.

"Ah man. Good shot, Michael." She smiles, not missing a beat, or even showing any signs of frustration. She just continued playing the game.

Michael scowls to himself.
'God damn it, does she have to be such a gracious loser too?!'