Prologue

The press conference, or maybe the charade is a better way to describe the event that took place on June 7. It was one of those sizzling summer days but unpleasantly gloomy given the circumstances. The news that twelve people had died a week prior, in an elevator incident, at the Palazzo Hotel in Venice was making headlines.

       The Hotel was expected to open a new branch in Lisbon to celebrate their 50th anniversary. The headline proclaiming that the deaths were not an accident followed short after the announcement from the general manager of Palazzo Hotel that the opening of the new branch was going to take place as planned. The announcement further explained that they had carefully reviewed all angles of the situation and that the event would involve a fundraising for the grieving families.

       I'm Lorelei Hutton and as I sat on the couch in front of my TV watching the news, tears flooded my eyes and I couldn't do anything to stop them. I still couldn't believe it. My mother was dead. The hotel was using the death of twelve people to raise money for their pockets and we were never going to see anything of that money. Everything seemed to be confusing and foggy but my mother's memories were still clear. Her beautiful face stormed my thoughts and all I could do was scream in agony. They had killed her. They had taken her away from me.

I fell asleep to a vivid image of when I was a child and my parents played with me in our backyard. I awakened to the sound of my ringtone and when I looked outside, it had grew dark. I didn't bother to pick up the phone since I  already knew it was Jeffrey--- the owner of the convenience store across the street asking if I could to take on the night shift. I went to the bathroom to wash my face but all I could think about was what would happen if I drowned myself in the tub. It would all be over. I thought. But I couldn't go without having my revenge, I simply couldn't. As the water flew down face, all the anger I had suppressed boiled through my veins. I'm going to make them pay for you mom... I promise.