CHAPTER 23

We'd stopped at the front desk for payment after our little drama in the dressing room, but thankfully no one seemed to know what happened.
I made up my mind to talk to Jennifer the minute we reached the hotel. I still had a few things to clear up with her, but of course, I also wanted someone to talk to.
There was a number of questions I wanted to ask her. What did she mean when she said that Oren is dangerous? Did she know him? If so, why didn't she tell me that she was acquainted with him? Why did she keep it a secret? And finally, and breathtaking in significance, did Oren Tremblay have anything to do with my mother's death and aunt Pauline's disappearance?

I was determined to learn the truth about what happened.
Why would he propose marriage to me out of the blue? I wondered. Was it because he thought that my aunt could contact me anytime? I could only imagine headlines about aunt Pauline's body being found.
And why was she working at the hotel anyway? Was there some way I could get a hold of the employees' records? I wondered.
I longed to be able to talk over all these questions with Jennifer while they were still fresh in my head. Then, since it was nearly three o'clock and the conference was at six, we went back to the hotel.

Oren hadn't uttered a word since we walked out of the room and honestly I liked it that way. If he had tried to beg for forgiveness and swear on his life that it would never happen again, It would have made me furious. During the ride, he had a serious look on his face and it seemed as if he was thinking about something.
We got out near the entrance and Oren placed his arm around my waist as we walked inside. We passed by the reception in the lobby to collect our key card then went for the elevator. At first, it didn't bother me that much to step into elevators after my mother's death but at that moment my anxiety suddenly kicked in. Oren had stopped holding my waist by the time we reached the elevator door. I tried to suppress my fear but I couldn't hide it for long. The doors opened and Oren stepped in while I remained standing at the entrance. All the memories I had with my mother flashed through my head and I felt extremely dizzy.
"What's wrong?" Oren said. His words sounded indistinct and I couldn't properly hear the words that came after. My legs became weak and I could barely stand up straight so I slightly leaned against the wall.

Before I could completely pass out from trying to take a step, I fell into Oren's arms. When I opened my eyes I was in his room and I tried to help myself up but he quickly came and told me to take it easy.
As he placed a pillow behind my back, it suddenly came to me that we had a press conference to attend. "What time is it?" He looked at the watch on his wrist and said, " It's four-fifty." His eyes looked so concerned and I wanted to reassure him that nothing was wrong with me so I said, "I must've been tired from the shopping. I'm going to get ready now. We can make it in time if we both hurry."
"Are you sure?" He caressed my cheek tenderly.
"Yes, I'm certain."
"As you wish, love." He leaned close and gave me a kiss on the lips. When he pulled away, I tried not to act indifferent so I awkwardly smiled.

I took a quick shower that lasted for about twenty-five minutes and in no time, I was already putting on the dress I had chosen for the conference. I wondered if I would have time to change into the party dress but it didn't seem like an issue at that time. I applied some makeup on my face to look nice and thankfully, Jennifer had forced me to bring some products for my hair. My natural curls were losing their definition so I tried to revive them. After some time, I was ready and it was time to go.

When I went to inform Oren that I was ready, I was stunned. I had seen him before wearing a suit but every time I saw him in one, I couldn't keep myself from drooling. His elegance complemented the dark red suit he wore, and the slick back hairstyle put the cherry on top of the cake.
"Do you like what you see?" He teased.
I did but I couldn't tell him that. Not after what he did.