CHAPTER 29

"Humiliated." That was the way I felt when I was sitting at that table. It was nearly eight o'clock. I was tired and hungry. The subject about my mother was dropped thanks to Oren, and I didn't dare bring it up. Kendall—Thomas Tremblay's wife looked beautiful. She was wearing a black suit with white linen and cuffs. Her beautiful blond hair was styled in a low bun. What surprised about her was that she wasn't wearing jewelry, instead a wide gold wedding band was on the third finger of her left hand. I tried to spot any feelings of discomfort she might have, but nothing. Even when her husband called me lovely, she seemed unbothered.

It was finally time for Thomas Tremblay to say a few words, in honor of the people who died in the accident. I was instantly reminded of my mother and tears just kept falling on their own. Oren was kind enough to lend me his handkerchief which I used to hide my face. People were looking at me as if I were a mad woman. Oren took me in his arms and tried his best to comfort me.

Thomas Tremblay went on and on about the foundation of his hotels and how it has helped hundreds even thousands of families then all of the sudden he said, "A total of one million dollars was raised for the bereaved families." Then everyone proceeded to clap in awe of his statement. Did they know that those families were never going to see any part of that money? I wondered. I wanted to scream at him and demand that he gives the money to the families but I couldn't. I could only cry my heart out, but this time all my tears fell on Oren's chest. Honestly, I felt relieved.

By the time Thomas Tremblay finished his speech, I had already stopped crying but my face was still buried on Oren's chest. The meals were served and I was offered something which I politely refused. My hunger had been washed away by the tears leaving me with a headache, so all I wanted was to rest.

After the meals, the presenter opened the dance floor and suddenly, it became a banquet. Everyone seemed to be having a good time and no one seemed to care about the people who lost their lives at the Palazzo hotel.
"There's something I need to take care of." Oren excused himself and left. I wanted to ask him if he could take me with him but he left in a hurry I couldn't say anything.
His father and stepmother were still at the table and I feared what Thomas Tremblay would say to me now that Oren was gone.
"Are you scared of me?" Thomas asked, his tone slightly friendly.
"I'm not. Why should I be scared of you?" I maintained eye contact but to be honest, I wasn't entirely sure of myself.
"We have a lot to talk about you and me." He sipped on his wine.
"I'm sure we do." I gave a fake smile.

The air after exchanging those words became awkward. I decided to go look for Oren and ask him to take me back to our room. I excused myself and left. It was slightly chilly outside. Being surrounded by people made it stuffy and I honestly craved some fresh air.
"Are you looking for someone?" A strange man appeared behind me. I turned to see his face but the dim lights made it hard. I managed to get a glimpse but not the full face. He is handsome, I thought.
"Uh-yes I'm looking for Oren Tremblay. Have you seen him?"
"No, I haven't. Is it urgent? If you want I can help you look for him." His American accent stood out to me more. Was he invited to this party too? I wondered.
"No, thank you." I turned around and took a step but he abruptly pulled my arm which made me trip and twist my ankle. I fell into his arms and began making moaning sounds from the pain.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you." He tried to reach out to my foot but I wouldn't let him. Before I could think of a way to get to my room, he lifted me in his arms and I said, "Put me down." Sternly. "It's my fault you got hurt. I'll carry you to the lobby and then leave." His tone sounded honest and sincere, I couldn't bring myself to refuse. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he smiled. He carried me to the lobby as he had said then suddenly I heard a familiar voice say, "How dare you put your hands on my wife?"