CHAPTER 11

After he left the hotel, Oren drove home and lay down on the couch. It wasn't his first time having sex, but he felt guilty. One single minute more and he could have called out Lorelei in the middle of the act.

Of course he hadn't told Jennifer about his plans. He simply asked for any information on the Pauline or Lorelei but never mentioned anything about killing Pauline Hutton. Pauline had found out about Thomas Tremblay's illegal businesses putting her on the run. To the media, Oren was a self-made entrepreneur but rumor had it that everything he owned actually belonged to his father.

Oren had received an order to kill Pauline Hutton before she told anyone what she knew so he had no choice but to obey.

As soon as he got home Oren took two sleeping pills and fell asleep on the couch. He didn't wake up for thirteen hours, until around noon the next day.

That was when his assistant, Lisa, rang the doorbell. She had been working with him for almost a decade and was the only one allowed in his house.

Oren liked how professional she was. She was a fierce woman with an expression of someone who wants to fight. He stood in the doorway, blocking the entrance, but he could tell that she was trying to step in.

"Your house is a mess, I suppose." She glared at him.

"I'll call someone to clean it up. You won't have to take care of it."

"Good. We have much more important things to take care of. Your messy house should be the least of our worries." She talked to him as if he were a close friend.

When she spoke, her voice didn't have its usual rough sound: "Oren, You should be at the office by now, what happened?"

He hadn't answered. It was none of her business that he had slept with someone in exchange for information.

"You know how tired I've been these past few days." He was still so tired from the effects of the pills that it was hard to even speak.

"Yeah. Sure. There's a problem." Now Lisa's tone changed and she became Ms. Scary Assistant.

"The recent shipment is missing or simply, it was stolen. We're still tracking the gold but so far we have nothing. We need you at the office. This could get out of hand."

An hour later he went to the office. Everyone was panicking so he had to figure out a way to ease the tension. He set up a meeting with each head of department to try and find a solution. The police had arrived way before him looking for any suspects within the company. Oren didn't want to suspect anyone but he couldn't deny that it was probably orchestrated by someone on the inside. But who? He wondered.

After a very long day he was exhausted and felt like he had been drained. He lay on the couch in his office and craved some sleep. His mind quickly ran to Lorelei. He wanted to know what she really looked like. If she was as pretty as in her pictures.

I really want to meet you. I wonder how you'll react when you find out that I was the one who took your whole world away from you.