CHAPTER 2

I got off on the Riatto Bridge, just a two minute walk away from the pub. I hadn't seen my aunt in awhile so I figured I should approach her vigilantly.

Aunt Pauline is naturally blond but from the last pictures my mother had sent me that she took with her, her hair was dark and seemed limp, a hot mess. I walked up the door and made my way in. I was welcomed by a vibrant ambience, the place reeked of all sorts of alcohol. I definitely looked like I wasn't from around.

I walked up to the counter and said, "Excuse me?"
The bartender, a man in his fifties, ashen faced but with natural elegance replied, "What can I get ya?" his British accent stood out more than his words.
"Uh-um I'm looking for Pauline Hutton."
"There's no one here by that name." He continued to serve others their drinks.
"I'm her niece and she said she worked here. Can you at least give me her address?" I knew I was being persistent but I had to. "Excuse me?" I heard a pitch voice from behind. It was a petite red-headed young woman in uniform. She must be a waitress. I thought.
"Are you Pauline's niece?"
"Yes and... you are?"
"I'm a friend of hers. I don't know if we should talk here but there's something really important I want to tell you. Please meet me outside after my working hours."

I contemplated whether or not I should trust this stranger but the way she talked made me somehow trust her words and on top of that I was desperate. My aunt had disappeared right after my mother's sudden death. How was I going to take care of everything on my own? I wouldn't bear it. I couldn't.

I waited outside with so much anticipation. What information could she possibly have? I wondered. Did something happen to aunt Pauline too? My mind immediately rushed to the phone call informing me about my mother's passing. I was sure that it wasn't just a coincidence that my aunt was nowhere to be found.

The wait was finally over and I sat down with Jennifer at the Rosticceria Gislon restaurant near the pub. I hadn't ate anything for days ---basically drowning myself in my sorrow, so my body was finally giving in to hunger.

Jennifer was quick enough to notice so she took it upon herself to order something for me.
I took a bite of the pasticcio lasagne and I let out a sigh of satisfaction. It was delicious.
"I could see that you were starving," she chuckled.
For a moment I had forgotten about my grief and it felt like I was just visiting my mom in Venice and I was having a meal with a friend.
The food suddenly became hard to swallow and I couldn't stop the tears from flowing down my cheeks.
"I'm sorry, I don't mean to alarm you."
"It's okay. I know what you're going through. Pauline told me about your mother. Please accept my condolences."
"Thank you." Even though we had just met, her compassion was really touching and I could see how sincere she was."I'm sorry to tell you this but your aunt is missing." A sudden shock went down my spine.
"What do you mean she's missing? Did you contact the police? What happened?"
"All I can tell you is that the last time we talked, her voice was trembling and when I asked her to stay with me she said that it's not safe. At first, I thought she was worried because my apartment is close to many bars they might be many break-ins but looking back, she was genuinely scared."

My thoughts became flooded with all sorts of scenarios and all I could do was pray that nothing happened to her and that she was safe.
"Um-I don't know if you know this but she quit her job at the pub almost a year ago now and she has been working at Palazzo Hotel."
My eyes grew wide. Why did my mother hide this from me? I wondered. We always told each other everything. Did she forget? For a whole year? No. She hid it from me. But why?
"It seems like you didn't know so I probably should stop here. It's your family after all."
"No, please tell me more." I had to know. It was why I was there after all.
"Well, your mother and your aunt weren't on good terms in the last months and I heard from Pauline that your mother had threatened to get her fired."

I wonder how many things you hid from me mom...