CHAPTER 8

On the way to the hotel I tried to get some information about who would be attending the event and a lot of influential people were apparently expected to be there.

To my dismay I read that the bereaved families would have to attend a press conference an hour before the event. The person I had talked to about my flight and reservation hadn't mentioned anything about a press conference. Maybe he didn't know, I presumed. After the incident, the hotel was trying every means possible to look good in the public eye and it simply irked me.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I almost forgot that I was riding a car with a total stranger from the airport. The beautiful willowy blond introduced herself as Lisa when we met at the Humberto Delgado Airport. I knew that she worked at the Palazzo Hotel in Lisbon since the ticket guy had already gave me the details for my arrival but apart from that I didn't know anything about her at all. I decided to break the ice and strike a conversation.

"Um... how long have you been working at the hotel?"

"What makes you so sure that I work in the hotel?"

"Well, the guy who bought my ticket and processed my reservation told me that someone will be expecting me at the airport so naturally I assumed you worked at the hotel."

"I don't exactly work there."

I panicked. Am I being abducted then? What am I going to do? My thoughts suddenly became fuzzy and fear overpowered me.

"Don't be afraid. I was sent to escort you somewhere before heading to the hotel. I'm not kidnapping you."

It almost felt reassuring to hear her say that but I was still confused as to where I was being taken.

"So then... where exactly are we going?" I tried to sound calm.

"We're almost there. Please be patient." She didn't strike me as a bad person so I decided to go with the flow. I took self defense classes after graduating from high school so I know a thing or two about throwing fists and escaping from bad guys. Of course I'm not a professional fighter but I honestly believed I would be able to handle myself if anything happened.

"We're here." Lisa announced.

My muscles suddenly tightened and It felt like lifting even a finger would be a struggle. Lisa opened the door, stepped out and unexpectedly she also opened mine.

"Thank you." I was actually thankful because I wasn't feeling all that confident anymore.

We stood outside a building with a sign that read 'Silver, Gold &Findings'. Why does this name sound familiar? I wondered. We walked to the front door where security didn't bother to search us as soon as Lisa showed them her card. She instructed one of the men to tell someone to fetch my luggage from the car and we proceeded to take the elevator to the fifth floor. Where is she taking me? My anxiety piled up. From the elevator we walked through a hall, took a left, passed by some offices and finally we stopped in front of a door. I looked at her waiting for her to step in but she didn't.

"The chairman is expecting you."

"What? Who is this chairman? Why am I here?" I sounded distressed.

"The chairman of Silver, Gold &Findings is waiting for you. Don't keep him waiting." She made it sound like it was an honor for me to be expected by that person. I took a step back but realized I didn't have much of a choice. I had to face him. I had to know why he brought me there and why that name sounded so familiar. I opened the door, stepped in and I was welcomed by a surprise.

He was sitting behind an eighteenth century mahogany desk with a document open in front of him. A leather couch and two matching chairs formed a seating lounge to the right of the door. The cold and frightening look he gave me sent chills down my spine.

"I've been expecting you. Please have a seat." His English accent was faint but just enough to hear it from just a few words. His voice sounded calm and gentle which contradicted the look in his eyes.

"Who are you and why am I here?"

He suddenly stood up and approached me. His good looks matched well with the Dormoeil Vanquish II suit he wore. I took a step back and he took a step closer.

"I'm Oren Tremblay. Your future husband."