CHAPTER 28

Before leaving the room, we agreed on sticking together the entire night. I pushed my advantage and suggested that we stick with his family too. I saw him trying to think of a way to refuse me, so I said, "What if you have to go somewhere? I'll be left alone." I pulled the puppy eyes act on him. Of course what I really wanted was to talk to Thomas Tremblay. His words had stuck with me and I couldn't shake off the feeling that he hated me.
"Alright but don't- " he stopped halfway. I looked at him. He clearly didn't like the suggestion at all, but yielded because he was trying to conceal the bad relationship he had with his father. "I don't suppose acting madly in love will be a problem," he said after a moment, his tone icy.

When we walked to the venue, I started to feel anxious and dizzy. I wore high heels and a long dress, so my steps were barely keeping up with Oren's steps. He looked back only to see me struggling and kindly walked slower. When I finally caught up to him, he took my arm and locked it with his.

By the time we arrived it looked like we were the only ones missing because everyone's gazes were fixed on us. On the other hand, I got lost in the outstanding decoration of the place. Being held outdoors, the open area had a romantic ambiance with string lights hung from the ceiling of the event space which looked incredibly beautiful. With the tables aligned in a straight way made it seem like a wedding reception. I held onto Oren's arm tightly as we made our way to our table.
    Not long after we sat, people started coming to our table apparently to congratulate us on our wedding. One sophisticated middle aged woman said that we look great together. I asked Oren why his family was late for such an important event to which he replied with the classic "don't worry about it" phrase, which to me automatically translates to "it's none of your business."

As we sat there waiting for his father's arrival, all of the sudden, I felt Oren's hand on my thigh. I looked at him with a stunned expression but his gaze was fixed elsewhere. It seemed to me like he was playing with me and I wasn't having any of it. I gently removed his hand but he quickly put it back, this time squeezing my thigh, so I flinched.
   While we were busy playing those silly games, we didn't even notice that Thomas Tremblay and his wife Kendall had arrived. Everyone including us had to stand up to welcome him but being the self-centered maniac he is, he didn't even apologize for being late. Is it because there is no press? I wondered.

He made his way to our table accompanied by his wife. He pulled a seat for her and proceeded to take a sit himself. I could see that the air immediately became hard to inhale for Oren, so I decided to clear it.
"Good evening Mr.Tremblay, Mrs. Tremblay" I gave them a bowing look.
"You look lovely." Thomas said.
"Thank you." I faked a smile.
"Tell me something Ms. Lorelei, are you here to steal something just like your mother?" I could see the mocking look in his eyes.
"Dad..." Oren tried to intervene.
A good detective is not supposed to let emotion get in the way of the truth, but as I sat there, I could feel my anger rising. It seemed to me that Thomas hated me as much as I hated him. His abrupt defense confirmed he had something to hide and I planned on uncovering it.
"I'm very sorry to hear that...if she took something from you then I'll be happy to pay you back. What is it that she stole?" I feigned a devastated voice.
"Hm...how about we discuss this in my office?" Before I could respond, Oren took my hand and said, "She's not going anywhere. We'll be living in the same house anyway. It's best to discuss this matter in Venice." My eyes widened.
"What do you mean living in the same house?"
"We decided that it would be best that way. I was going to tell you once we got to our room."

How could he decide something this important on his own? I thought.