CHAPTER 26

The press conference took place at the purple space for corporate events located near two emblematic areas of Príncipe Real and Campo de Ourique. By the time we arrived, someone was already waiting at the entrance to show us to our seats. At first glance, the place featured a relaxed and friendly atmosphere where you can let your creativity flow. My attention quickly run to the way people were dressed. I was suddenly reminded it was summer, so I craved a cold, refreshing drink. Seated at the front row, Oren asked, "Would you like something to drink?" He held my hand. "I'm glad you asked." I smiled which made him chuckle. "I'll be right back." He stood from his seat and went away.

As soon as he left I became nervous and apparently I was right to be. Thomas Tremblay and his wife walked in with journalists swarming into the venue. He walked up to me and said, "Aren't you going to greet your father-in-law?" The look he gave me reminded me of the first time I met Oren. Indeed, like father like son, I told myself. I quickly stood up and extended my hand for a handshake. Surprisingly, he pulled me in for a hug and whispered in my ear, "My sincere condolences. Your mother was a great person." Before I could call out his hypocrisy, he pulled away as the press took pictures of us. I struggled to contain my anger, whereas he continued to fake a smile in front of everyone.

Our seats were placed next to each other and I understood the reason. Oren came back with two drinks in his hands and when he saw his father just two seats away from me, his expression changed. He put on that glazed look that always bugged me. The timing could not be better, I sarcastically told myself. He sat down, handed me the drink which I eagerly wanted to sip on. I have to play it cool, I had decided.

I was surprised to see that Oren didn't even greet his father. They behaved like complete strangers which puzzled me. I took a sip of the mojito Oren brought back and went on to scan the room. The event commenced exactly at six o'clock as scheduled. I could see the grieving families at the back and I started to feel oddly guilty. Had I betrayed my own mother by marrying into the family that possibly killed her? I no longer knew what to think.

     When we were asked on stage, Oren took it upon himself to escort me and stay with me.  Honestly, I was glad he was with me. The first few questions were not directed at me but all of the sudden, the attention shifted to me.
"Mrs. Hutton, could you please tell us how you met Mr. Tremblay?" One reporter said. When I was handed the microphone, Oren took it from me. "Please address her as Mrs. Tremblay from now on. Thank you." He handed it over. I couldn't help but smile at his cute gesture. I quickly gathered my thoughts and cleared my throat.
"We met two years ago at a restaurant in France when we were both there for vacation. Oren approached me first and we instantly fell for each other. The conversations we had in that restaurant, the food we ordered, I still remember to this day. I didn't know what his family did until later on in our relationship which didn't matter to me at all. It's a bit cheesy of me to say this...but...it's like we'd known each other even before we met that day."

    By the time I finished talking, Oren was staring at me with an intense look in his eyes. He leaned close and whispered in my ear."Nothing is going to stop me from making love to you tonight." He placed an innocent kiss on my cheek.
Hearing those words, my cheeks heated up and I struggled to contain the excitement he made me feel. Before I could take the moment in, another reporter asked, " Ms. Tremblay, what are your thoughts on the rumor about the hotel being involved in the accident that cost the lives of twelve people including your own mother?" I knew that question would come up, but actually hearing it hurt me a lot. I mustered all the courage I could get then replied, "It is important to respect the families of those who lost their lives in that accident by not spreading rumors. We are all experiencing a difficult time and all we ask is—"

Dozens of questions interrupted me: "Are you saying that the rumors are false?" "Is it true that you were paid a large sum for your silence?" "Is your marriage to Mr.Tremblay a publicity stunt to distract the public from the accident?"
Abruptly Oren stood up and in a surprise gesture grabbed the microphone from me. "My wife and everyone who lost a loved one are experiencing a very difficult and painful moment. Again, we request for your understanding and hope to maintain our privacy."

He took my hand and dragged me away.