CHAPTER 10

Sometimes life gets funny. I ended up marrying Oren Tremblay. When the judge arrived, it was five O'clock in the evening. Everyone had left the office. I gave my ID to Oren and he made a copy of it before handing it to the judge. Looking doubtful, he told us to wait while he spoke to the immigration on the phone. Keeping my fingers crossed, I did just that.

When he finally got off the phone, he said, " The marriage will now proceed." My heart sank. I was going to marry Oren Tremblay, a man I met an hour and a half ago. How ironic. My reasons were clear but I didn't know what to expect from him. The look he gave me when I first walked in made me think that he definitely hated me so why was he so persuasive? I chose to ignore my thoughts and focus on what the judge was saying. He was a chubby, short man in his mid-fifties, with an abundance of gray hair.

"Ms. Hutton, do you take Mr. Tremblay as your lawful wedded husband?" I wondered what would happen if I said no. I only hoped that my sacrifice wouldn't go to waste. I cleared my throat.

"I do." Oren didn't even bother to look at me say that I want to be his wife. He showed no emotions whatsoever.

"Mr. Tremblay, do you take Ms. Hutton as your lawful wedded wife?" I looked at him searching for a tiny bit of emotion. Nothing.

"I do." His voice had become hoarse. Maybe it's because of all the screaming. I looked away.

Suddenly, I felt his fingers intertwining with mine and pulling me closer. My eyes grew wide and I immediately stared at him but he remained unreadable. Is he doing this to show the judge that we're a real couple? I no longer knew what to think of him. Every action of his was sweeping me off my feet. Especially that kiss.

The judge asked us to sign which prompted Oren to let go of my hand but as soon as he finished he held my hand again. I decided to think nothing of it and just play along. I signed the certificate too and our marriage was finalized so the judge said, "Congratulations you are now officially husband and wife. Mr. Tremblay, you may now kiss your bride."

My hands suddenly became sweaty and I prayed that Oren would just brush it off and we wouldn't have to share a kiss. Suddenly, he turned around, faced me and when I looked at him he took my face in his hands and gently pressed his lips on mine. At that moment, I lost to him. I responded to that kiss with an intense passion that was growing in me. Thankfully, he didn't push me away instead he held me in his arms and we shared our second kiss.

Why can't I remember to hate him?