CHAPTER 24

"Something got your tongue, honey?" Oren asked. "Is this your way of getting a reaction from me?" I confronted him. He looked at me for a minute then said, "Trust me, if I wanted a reaction I would use other means." His statement made it very clear what he was referring to but after what happened, I had no desire whatsoever to be with him.

"It's getting late. We should probably head out now." I said. "In fact, I wanted to ask you about the dinner party." Having said that, I hesitated.
"What is it?" He asked.
"Looking back, I never asked you what your family thinks about this marriage. Especially, your father. After all, it's no secret that my mother died in your father's hotel."
"Does it make you that nervous to meet my father?"
"Yes."
"Don't worry. My family won't object to our marriage. Just pretend like we're deeply in love, and everything else will fall into place."
"The press will probably ask questions on how we met and why we got married just a few weeks after my mother's passing."
He approached me. "We met in France two years ago. We instantly clicked, you didn't know who I was neither did I, we spent our best moments there, eventually fell in love and made plans to get married. Later on, an unfortunate accident took your mother's life putting a hold on our wedding. Now, we are currently each other's strength."

I couldn't believe how meticulous his story was and even if it bothered me, it was the best excuse we had because those journalists were not planning to let it go that easily. As I pondered on the questions that they might ask me, Oren placed a kiss on my cheek. He caressed the area and said, " Don't think about it too much. As long as I'm there, no one will hurt you." It felt oddly relieving to hear those words. Him acting like my protector made me feel safe and reassured.

I have a pretty good sense of direction but the roads in Lisbon confused me. As we sat in the back of the car, I wondered what would happen if he left me on the streets with no money and no place to go. I quickly shook off that absurd thought and when I finally came back to my senses, we were already at the venue. Our car was immediately blocked by a large group of paparazzis and reality finally hit me. I was going to be exposed to the world and whatever they threw at me I would just have to accept it.

Oren reached out for my hand which was cold and sweaty, holding it tightly I looked at him with anxious eyes. He leaned sideways, his fingers stroking my lips before he kissed me.
I couldn't think of anything else so I let myself be taken in that almost perfect moment. When our lips finally parted, he gave me a reassuring smile which I returned back to him unconsciously. We stepped out of the car holding hands and as the press corps continued taking pictures and asking questions Oren abruptly pulled me closer and said, " My wife and I would appreciate it if you could refrain from making unnecessary comments. We are still mourning the lives that were lost in that unfortunate accident so we humbly ask for your understanding. Thank you."  We walked away.

At that time, I lost to him yet again. How could I not love such a man?