02. hanging out with your favorite Madrigal

"I heard you used me as an excuse to avoid being stuck in your mother's shop all day."

Dolores popped up behind you, making you scream frantically, but you were quick to regain your composure.

"Technically, that wasn't a lie. I did plan to hang out with you today." you argue as your best friend interwines your arm with her own and drags you toward the market place.

"Mhmm." she shrugs it off, already interested in somebody else's gossip. That happened basically everytime you hung out with Dolores ; she stopped listening from time to time, when someone was telling some juicy stuff. "The young Santiago has a crush on you." she states out of nowhere, making you gasp.

"Miguel ? No way ! He's like, 17. That's so illegal."

"I knoooow ! He's talking about you right now."

"What's he sayin' ?"

"That you have beautiful hair and a pretty voice."

"Well ! I never spoke to him, it can't be that deep of a crush. Now it's gonna be so awkward for me. He's always at my mom's shop."

"Yeah, he goes there for you actually."

You gasp again. "Someone call the police ! I'm an adult. He can't go on like that."

"It's alright, (Y/n). You're like a celebrity crush, you know ?"

"I'm a celebrity." you nod.

"That's... not what I meant. I meant you're pretty much untouchable for him, you barely know he exists. Nothing illegal if you don't like him back."

"Ah, yes. That too."

"(Y/n), stop believing you're famous."

"I am delusional. Don't tell me what to do."

"Oh, Miguel's saying he hopes you'll be at the shop tomorrow."

"Shut it !" you yell, but not too loud out of respect for Dolores' ears. "I'm umconfortable ! He's a minor and he's a bo-"

"Oh, hey ! Isn't that my favorite sister Dolores !"

You scream again as a random man next to you switches into a more familiar boy.

"I'm your only sister." Dolores states as Camilo smiles sheepishly.

"Hola, (Y/n). Did I scare you again ?" his expression turns into a defiant one, and you put your hands on your hips to match his playful attitude.

"Nah. Not at all. I am, in fact, very pleased to see you, young one."

"I am, in fact, very pleased to see you." Camilo turns into you for a second, mocking you. "You're talking like a grandma."

"I am an old soul." you dramatically sigh, leaning your head on Dolores' shoulder and bringing a hand to your head. "Misunderstood by all, loved by none."

"Except Miguel Santiago. Mmh !" Dolores lets out a squeal as you nudge her, but it was too late. The shapeshifter's lips had already formed a mischevious grin, and you cursed under your breath.

"Interesting." Camilo seems deep in thoughts, definitely ploting against you and wondering how he could use that to annoy you.

"Not much. I never spoke to him and, need I say, he is very much a minor."

"That's illegal, (Y/n) !" he states, looking at you with faked disgust.

"I didn't do it on purpose ! I am irresistible, what can I do ?" you once again lean onto Dolores, who does not care at all about your conversation with her brother.

"Ah, I feel you." said brother exaggeratedly sighs. "I, too, am incredibly handsome. What can we do ?"

"What can we do ?" you repeat in a desperate voice.

"You can shut it for now." Dolores finally butts in. "(Y/n) and I were about to go to the market, Camilo. Did you finish your morning chores ?"

You snort as the young boy gasps, immediately saying goodbye and running off to the nearest exhausted-looking parent. He was a nice guy, always prone to joking along with you and willing to make everyone smile.

"Now come on, Dolores. You still owe me a new dress for ruining the last one." you pull your best friend forward.

"I still think it was not my fault at all. Mirabel's the one that pushed me and made me spill my drink."

"Yes, but you have money and Mirabel doesn't have much. Plus, you forgot my birthday present."

Dolores preferred not to hear you remind her of that and pulled you towards your favorite shop, making you laugh at her panicked attitude.

___

"Oh, Jorge ? He's growing so fast, I swear. I love this little guy so much. How about Tonito ? His birthday is coming up."

You sip on your drink happily, content with the day you spent with your best friend. She was often busy with her chores, and so were you, with your mother's shop, and you finally found a time to spend time together.

"Oh, he's a bit anxious about getting his gift, but he's doing alright. You should come visit soon, he misses you ! Always asking when you'll come around again."

"Aw, tell him I miss him too. You know what, I'll try to visit tomorrow after watching the shop."

"Well, you'll see him at the ceremony anyway. You're coming, right ?"

"Of course. Wouldn't want to miss that-Ooooh..."

Dolores gives you a surprised look as you wiggle your eyebrows at her.

"Look to your left, amiga."

Not far from where you were sitting was none other than Mariano Guzmàn, the man Dolores was deeply in love with. Dolores would have hit you for the dumb face you we're making if she wasn't so tense she stopped breathing for a moment.

Mariano was busy walking with his mother, talking about something you couldn't hear. Dolores, however, could.

"He's talking about his new poem." she watches him tenderly, under your skeptical gaze. "It's beautiful."

"Yes, I bet it is. Anyway. Hola, Mariano, Mrs Guzmàn !" you exclaim. Dolores steps on your foot willingly under the table, but you keep smiling as Mariano and his mother wave to you.

They walk past you and a sweating Dolores. You take another sip of your drink innocently, ignoring your best friend's glares.

"Coward." you murmur with a teasing gaze. You knew she did not want to try and talk to him because he seemed to be liking her cousin Isabela, and you respected her for that. She didn't want to get hurt. But if he was to marry Isabela, she'd have to see him everyday. And avoiding him like she does now would not be a solution anymore.

You were doing everything you could so that your favorite Madrigal wouldn't get hurt.

___
words : 1069