06. sparkles

After this small interlude, you went to check your hair in the bathroom's mirror for real, accompagned by Isabela who kept giggling at your tragic expressions. Camilo really created the most unlikely hairstyle you could ever have thought of, making of your hair a crime. You were half-dazzled and half-furious, but you chose this. You agreed to this.

"Oh, god. I can't believe you kept serious when I tried to confort you looking like that."

"It's cute ! Somehow." Isabela answers as you both go down the stairs, basically having to drag you away from the mirror.

"Thank you for your words of confort, dear damsel. I used to think I could pull off any hairstyle..."

"You can ! Look at you."

"Eh."

"There you are, girls ! Did you spent so much time in front of the mirror ?" Pepa says as you enter the room, giggling at your emotionless face.

"Yes. Isabela had to drag me there." you state, noticing everyone was now comfortably installed in the couches and had their hair styled. Mirabel ended up in a bun similar to Dolores', Félix with two small buns, Pepa's hair was in a high ponytail and filled with colorful ribbons, and somehow Camilo's hair was pink and tied in a multitude of small braids.

"We were about to watch a movie !" the shapeshifter announces, snickering at the playful glare you send him. You sit next to Dolores, and Isabela next to you as the movie starts. You never watched it, but you don't understand much, too busy wondering what was going on in Isabela's head and how you could get her to open up, eventually.

"Hey." you whisper to her as you notice she isn't really following the movie either. "Nobody did your hair, in the end."

"True." she gives you a 'oh well' look.

"Let me do it." you insist.

"...Alright." she gives in and turns her back to you so you can let her hair down, handing you a hairbrush that was just laying there on the table.

Isabela's hair is soft. Brushing it seems useless, as there don't seem to be any knots, but you still do it out of envy. It's so calming  and satisfying. Then, you braid it, adding a few bows you took from your own hairstyle. It looks amazing. You proudly think you're very talented before realizing it is just because her hair is incredibly pretty.

"Done." you lean over to whisper in her ear not to disturb the others, unknowingly making her blush. She looks back at you with a smile, thanking you before passing the braid over her shoulder and looking at it.

"It's pretty."

"Like you, hermosa." you joke, trying to focus back on the movie to see if you can guess what happened when you weren't paying attention. Next to you, Dolores hears her cousin's breath sharpen, not sure of what's going on between the two of you. She did hear the both of you in the kitchen, but not for long as she diverted her attention out of respect for Isabela.

___

After the movie, you all decided to call it a day as Antonio and Félix were already falling asleep, and all headed to sleep. Of course, you talked with Dolores until late at night, but you didn't discuss about Isabela's breakdown. You supposed your best friend had heard about it but didn't want to bother you into giving informations you intended to take to your grave if Isabela wanted to.

The next day was a sunny one, the sleepover putting Pepa in a good mood. Dolores proposed you'd stay for lunch, but you promised your Tía you would be back before noon to help her out with a 'fashion issue' -whatever that meant- and hurried home as soon as you realized you overslept.

"Sorry, Tía ! I'm here- Woah."

You stopped at your house's door, unable to describe the scene before you. Your aunt was standing on the living-room's table, drapped into a ridiculously long red dress, while your father and Jorge spun around, throwing glitters at her.

"Welcome back, (Y/n) !" your father smiles, handing you a bowl full of glitters as you finally step in this madness.

"Does mom know we're doing that ?" you ask, getting to work and yeeting those glitters on the red dress.

"No." your father answered calmly as your Tía laughed maniacally, trying to move in that pile of fabric but failing miserably. You had no idea what you were doing, but it was fun.

"How was the sleepover ?" Jorge asks, walzing around with an invisible partner, spilling glitter everywhere.

"Oh, great. I had a dumbass style my hair in the craziest way, but the food was good."

"What did you eat ?"

"Don't worry, dad, there were vegetables."

"I don't believe you. Jorge said you always lie."

"No, I always say the truth. It's Jorge that's always lying."

"Oh, alright."

You father wasn't dumb. Or maybe he was, but that wasn't the question. He liked to joke around with his family, that's all.

"What are we doing anyway ?" you ask when you get tired of creating a mess.

"Your Tía has a date tonight."

You glance at Lucía, who was still trying to move around in that huge dress.

"Congratulations ! Is she trying to make them run away ?"

"Quite the opposite, I'm afraid. He is a weird one, told her he loved sparkles. She took his words literally."

"Amazing." You stare at your aunt in admiration. "Dad ?"

"Mmh ?"

"I aspire to be like her when I'm older."

"Please don't."

"We'll see about that. Anyway, I have a question."

"Yes, mija ?"

"How do you plan to clean all of this up before mom comes home ?" you motion toward all the glitters that were splattered on the floor.

"I have no idea."

Okay, maybe your father was dumb, after all. He was already extremely messy, and so were you and your aunt. It often clashed with your mother and Jorge's obsession with cleaning, and you could usually count on your brother to keep your dad and tía from going too far. This time, strangely, he didn't.

You would pay for this with your lives, if you didn't start cleaning right now.

___
words : 1039