31. an idiot

"I can't hear him, (Y/n)." Dolores whispers, bringing her hands to her ears. "Either he is not in the Encanto, or he's unconscious."

"But you didn't hear anything before ? Nothing suspicious ?"

Dolores bites her lip, shaking her head. "I was in my room, I only got out a few minutes before you called me. It's soundproof."

Lucía whines next to you. You had gone home, finding Dolores who had hurried there when she heard you scream, your parents and Bruno who was originally here to have lunch with them.

"Where are you, mijo..." Your father runs a hand through his hair, sighing.

"We'll find him." Your mother states, cold as ice. She was as scared as you, but didn't show it at all. She had to stay strong so that Lucía especially, but also your father and you, trembling in Isabela's arms, would not break down in tears.

You were thinking as quick as your anxious brain could go. "We need to search outside of the Encanto. But also inside, he could be unconscious, even though I don't know why he would be, right ?"

You couldn't think of Jorge being hurt. Isabela strokes your hair, murmuring in your ear. "He's fine."

"The town's people are here to help !" Bruno bursts the door open. "It was hard to get them to listen to me, but I did it !"

Luisa enters behind him, searching the room for you. When she spots you, she snatches you off Isabela's arms to give you a bone-crushing hug.

Somehow, this wakes you up.

"Mom, I'll let you organize the searches. I have to talk to Jorge's friends. Maybe that'll lead us somewhere."

You exit your house, breaking through the crowd waiting outside for instructions. You knew everyone of them, from the shop, but also the days of the rebuilding of Casita. You had spoken to each of them.

Isabela, Luisa, Mirabel and Dolores followed you. On the way, you meet Alma, Pepa, Félix, Agustín, Camilo and Antonio. Julieta had stayed home to prepare arepas, in case it would be needed.

Pepa hugs you tightly. She couldn't contain the grey cloud that hovered over her head, even with Félix's help. She gives you words of encouragement, before hurrying inside your house to listen to your mother's instructions. Agustín pats your shoulder and tells Isabela to take care of you.

They all enter the house, except Camilo and Antonio, who follow you as you head over to the spot all of Jorge's friends are waiting in nervously. They are a group of five : Esteban, Jorge's closest friend, Marta, his twin sister, Jaime, Samuel and Theresa. You knew Jorge really liked Theresa.

"Guys, (Y/n)'s coming." You hear Samuel say. "Look, it's the Madrigals."

"Hola, Esteban." You greet the boy that walked up to you. He gives you a worried smile.

"Hi, (Y/n)."

"I was wondering if you guys had any clue where Jorge was. I know you were probably already asked that, but even the most improbable place could be right."

They look at each other, apparently clueless. "We don't know, (Y/n). We already told your mom every place we know." Marta says with a worried frown.

"What about... That place you were talking about before we came up to you ?" Dolores asks. "You were saying maybe you should tell people about it." She looks at Theresa. "And then, you..." She points to Jaime. "...said you would get punished if we found out about that."

They all go silent. You look at each of them. "Please..."

"You know that if Jorge is in danger, in that place you don't want to talk about, and that something happens, it's your fault, right ?" Isabela steps in.