14. time for dinner

You were wondering where Isabela was off to. It was nearing dinner time, so she must have finished her chores in town, but she wasn't in her room nor at home. You were searching the market place, ready to run over to the first pink-dressed person you'd see.

Dolores. You had to find Dolores too, because she must feel awful, and also to help you find Isabela.

Dolores, who wasn't in her room either. You were growing frustrated.

Entering an alleyway, you notice a bunch of Isabela's flowers on the wall ; they were everywhere in town. What made you look twice, though, was their slight glow. It made you think of the night you spent at the Madrigals', styling Antonio's hair, when the flowers shone because Isabela was near.

You quickened your pace, soon finding a little courtyard you had never seen before. You were persuaded you knew the town by heart, and yet there you were, discovering new places.

"Isabela !" you sigh in relief as you find the Madrigal sitting on the highest branch of a tree, in the center of the courtyard. She looked down at you with a smile.

"(Y/n) ! What's up ?"

You were glad she was talking casually to you. It was probably because no one was here.

"Oh, Isabela !" You look up at her, clasping your hands together. "Let down your hair !"

Instead of hair falling, a vine grows from the floor and grabs your waist, lifting you up in the air to Isabela's level. You carefully set your foot on a solid branch and sit down, thanking her as the vine retracts.

"Nice trick. Do you use this to sneak out of Casita at night ?"

Isabela widens her eyes, as if what you said was unacceptable. "I don't sneak out. Beside, Casita would just make stairs out of my window."

"You don't ?! Argh, that's some wasted potential here. I always have to climb down my window not to wake up my Tía. She doesn't snitch, but she wants to come with me, and she's not what you would call discreet."

"Do you do this often ?" Isabela leaned towards you, her eyes showing a sparkle of interest.

"Nah, not really. And I'm 21, so my parents don't really care. Why, do you wanna try sometimes ?"

She seemed to think it over for a second, her legs battling in the void, before shaking her head in resignation. "I can't."

"New goal set, then. I'll get you to sneak out some time."

"I'd like to see you try." she laughs, making you throw her a defiant look.

"Watch me be a bad influence. Oh, shoot."

You had forgotten why you were looking for her in the first place, and seeing a remain of sand from Bruno's tower on your leg reminded you.

"Your Abuela sent me, actually. She said you need to prepare for dinner tonight."

No response. You looked over, seeing Isabela scowl. "Do you know ?" Her voice was lower, the laughter that made it so pretty for you long gone.

"About Mariano's proposal ? Yes, I learned from Alma. You...don't seem too happy about it."

"Because I'm not." Isabela whispers, a vine growing from the ground again to circle her waist. She was leaving, your conversation unfinished.

"Wait, Isa !" The vine had already put her down on the ground, leaving you alone at the top of the three. She looked up at you, a sad smile drawn on her lips.

"(Y/n) ?"

"Yes !" You answered, a bit busy trying to climb down the tree on your own.

"I don't want to marry Mariano."