25. flower field

"Come on, Isa !" Mirabel barges in the room she was sharing with her sisters until their house was completed. "You don't want to make (Y/n) wait, right ?"

Isabela nervously smiles at her reflection in the mirror, trying to brush her already perfect hair one last time. Mirabel sighs, grabbing her wrist to pull her being her, despite her older sister's protests.

"Now come on. Everyone agreed to give you a day off on the construction, so you will not spend it preparing yourself inside. You know you look just fine."

"Good luck, Isa." Luisa smiles as they pass her, before going back to helping the family they were staying with do laundry.

"Have fun, mija !" Julieta motions her to hurry up, and Agustin hugs her waist with a tender grin as they watch Mirabel push Isabela outside. "This reminds me of Pepa and I. I wouldn't dare get out of the house the day of our first date." She laughs.

You were anxiously waiting at the market place, where Isabela said she would join you. You hoped everything would go well, that your nervousness wouldn't waste the date. But when Isabela gently taped on your shoulder and that you turned around to see she was as worried as you, you suddenly felt a wave of calmness hit you.

"Hey." You hug her quickly as a greeting, all trace of nervousness long gone. She was Isabela, and it didn't matter if things went wrong. You'd at least get to spend time together.

She returns the hug gladly, discreetly smiling as your hair brush her cheek. Your presence made her feel a bit less anxious.

"So, where are we going ?" She naturally takes your hand, dying of stress inside, and asks in a plain voice.

You look at her smugly, pulling her hand gently to guide her towards the place you found. "I promised you I'll teach you to do flower crowns, didn't I ?"

___

"That looks ridiculous." Isabela states, staring at your failed attempt at an experimental flower crown. You had tried to insert a heart pattern at some point, wasting your previous efforts to make it look good.

"Eh. At least I tried."

You were sitting in the shadow of a big oak tree you had found while looking for one of the numerous wild flowers fields in the Encanto. After walking around the forest for two hours, you had finally discovered this spot, that was about twenty minutes from the town by feet. 

You had brought a basket of food and a blanket with you, but it ended up being too small to contain Isabela and you, so you were sitting in the grass while the food was safely placed on the piece of fabric. You were leaning against the tree, Isabela's eyes focused on your hands as you professionally interwind the flowers' stems together. She had laid her head on your shoulder, watching your movements with great interest.

"But it's still pretty. Because you did it." She nudges you playfully, making you roll your eyes. 

"You might want to stop hanging out with me. My questionable flirting method is starting to rub off on you."

"I like your questionable flirting method ! I like y- it very much."

You stop ruining your flower crown even more to stare at Isabela. She looks up at you, her cheeks crimson, and you can't help but smile. You brush a lose strand of hair off her face, admiring her dark eyes shyly looking away from you.

"So... Are we gonna talk about this date ?" You finally ask the question that wouldn't leave your mind since Isabela agreed. Surely, it meant she was interested in you. Right ?

"Alright. Alright, let's talk about it. Uh..." She starts to panic, and you giggle. There was only one way to know anyway. You'd have time to think about it later.

"Isabela, I like you."

You feel hot. Usually, it's in both ways, because you're incredibly beautiful and that you can hardly handle the heat. But this time, you felt vulnerable and self-conscious, so it was only to take literally. It was your turn to look away from Isabela, too scared you'd see her expression fall.

"I know it hasn't been very long since we really started talking, but, hey, I didn't choose to feel this, okay ? So you can't blame me." You start talking without being able to stop, so that she could not have time to answer, to tell you you got all of it wrong. "In fact, yes, you can blame me. Do whatever you want. But just know that I blame your smile, because that's all I can think about when I close my eyes, and your laugh, because I can't stand in a silent room without it ringing in my ears-"

"(Y/n)."

"Yeah, that giggle. It's that giggle I can't forg-"

A wonderful feeling. The feeling of arms wrapping around your waist, and Isabela's head on your shoulder. You finally calm down, letting Isabela's strokes in your hair soothe your soul. You close your eyes in her embrace, sensing everything stronger than before. The soft breeze on your face, the tickling of the wild grass on your legs, the tight grip of Isabela's arms on your waist. You know you'd remember it all.

"I like you too."

But you'd remember that sentence more than anything. Because it filled you with joy, too much joy. You had to evacuate it, somehow.

"Are you crying ?" Isabela tries to pull away, but you wrap your arms around her shoulder to stop her.

"Yeah. I think it's a joy overload."

She giggles in your arms, burrying her face in the fabric of your shirt. You wipe your tears off with one hand, grabbing the ruined flower crown with the other and placing it on her head. She pulls away to look at you with a smile, posing like a model.

"Do I look pretty ?"

"Always." You state, and she hits your arm gently.

"Stop it !"

"What, it's true. You're always pretty to me." You smile smugly, enjoying her embarassment. Oh, you would love being overly cheesy with her. She gives you a warning look, which you totally ignore. "Isabela Madrigal, my pretty flower-" you chant with grandiloquence, getting a flick on your forehead. You glare at her defiantly as she laughs at your face, before trying to flick her forehead as well, but she was already running away.

"You come back here right now ! How dare you hit me !" You run after her with the great determination to pay her back, not taking long to overtake her. You were faster, and taller. You launch yourself at her, sending the both of you rolling in the flowers. You both fall next to each other, laughing like maniacs. 

"Alright, you can hit me now." Isabela dramatically presents you her forehead as you sit down, and you stare at it, thinking. You slowly approach your fingers from her, before putting your hand down with a smirk. Quickly, you kiss her forehead, making her gasp and look up with a smile.

"I would never hurt you, my love !" You throw your hands in the air as dramatically. "My love for you shall never die-"

There. She wasn't waiting for it to come. You flick her forehead when she expects it the less, making her let out the cutest exclamation.

"Sike. Never, ever trust me."

___

words : 1238

note : thank you for your kind comments on last chapter! I'll get better from COVID soon, for now I'm just tired and have a sore throat, but it's okay because it makes my voice kinda hoarse and I sound hella sexy💅😎

also, thanks to those who point out my typos lol. have this anecdote: my phone keeps correcting "Félix" to "Flip", "Camilo" to "Family" and "Mariano" to "Maria no".

as usual, hope you enjoyed:)