16. that's Bruno

"Sit down." Isabela motions to a flower bench that suddenly appeared in the middle of her room.

The place was... Very flowery. You had already caught a glimpse of it once, but entering it was even more impressive. You didn't know if you liked or not.

"So," the Madrigal starts, sitting next to you. "What did you want to talk about ?"

You stare at her. "What do you think ? Obviously that whole 'I don't want to marry Mariano' issue."

"I thought you just wanted to see me." Isabela bats her lashes at you, making you cough. You couldn't get distracted.

"Stop flirting. You're trying to distract my attention."

"Is it working ?"

"No." you shamelessly lie. Isabela sighs, leaning her head on your shoulder. You look down at her, surprised, but she doesn't move, so you wrap your arm around her. "Come on. You already ran away just after telling me, now you have to tell me more."

"I just... Don't like him. I tried, you know, I really tried..."

"But why did you try, Isabela ? Love comes naturally or it doesn't. You don't get to choose. And others can't choose for you either."

"Yes, they can." Her voice broke on the last word. You squeezed her shoulder gently. "Abuela decided we were meant to be, the perfect couple. And I have to make her proud, for the family."

"Isa." you hold her shoulders and turn her so that she faces you, staring straight into her eyes. She was on the verge of tears. "You don't owe your Abuela anything. She may keep the miracle together, I don't know how since everything seems to be falling apart, but she has no right to decide how you'll live your life."

A tear escapes her eye, rolling down her cheek and falling onto your hand. She needed to hear this. Isabela felt trapped, suffocated by everyone's expectations, and there you were, telling her not to care. But despite desperately wanting to believe you, she knew she couldn't.

"I can't. I can't tell her this, she's doing her best to keep my family safe. And..."

"And you're scared."

"I'm scared. What would she say ? How would everyone react ?"

You lean back on the bench, looking at the walls covered in flowers. "I can give you advice, but no solution. If I was in your place, I would tell my parents first. I'm sure Julieta and Agustín would support you."

"They would." she chuckles. "But it's so hard telling someone."

"Was it that hard with me ?"

"Well, no. You're different, in a way. You're... It's like you understand everything. Like I can tell you everything, and your opinion of me won't change."

"Hmm. I can safely say if you ever insult  my family without an extremely good reason, my opinion will change."

"In good or bad ?" she giggles, and you playfully hit her shoulder.

"You'll see if you ever try. Don't recommend, though."

"I'm sure your family would love me." she smirks playfully.

"Why ? Do you want to marry me ?"

It was your turn to smirk as Isabela blushed, a multitude of red flowers suddenly growing in her hair.

"You're so cute." you add, gushing over the increasing number of flowers. Isabela huffed, crossing her arms.

"I know that already." she argues. You laugh.