05. sleepovers are for mental breakdowns

"I ! WILL NOT ! ACCEPT CAMILO DOING MY HAIR !"

"Aww, why not ?" the boy pouts, trying to soften Mirabel's defensive position with puppy eyes.

"Because last time you did Antonio's, it was a total mess !"

"I liked it !" her cousin exclaims from across the room, doing his best not to move his head so that it would be easier for you to put the flowers Isabela occasionnally gave you in his beautiful hair, that Camilo totally ruined on his last attempt to style it.

"It's okay ! I'll switch and do your hair as soon as I finish Tonito's, Mirabel." you give in.

You had decided (well, Pepa had decided with great excitement) to style each other's hair, and had drawn lots on who would pair up with who. The pairs would have to style their partners hair the best they could.

Dolores was paired up with Félix, and he was already an expert at styling his daughter's hair, so it was a perfect match, except that you were convinced she would try to put his hair up in a bun like hers and couldn't wait to see the result.

Pepa was doing Luisa's hair, trying to braid it and meddling flowers with it, and the result was adorable and very pretty for now.

There was an odd number, so you found yourself paired up with Antonio and Isabela, and you were quite happy. Plus, you'd get to style Isabela's perfect hair, something you could never ever had dreamed of.

But then, it meant Mirabel had to let Camilo do her hair. And she wasn't happy about it. So, being the kind dumbass that you are, you proposed to take Camilo's place.

"Hey, no !" Isabela protests, raising her voice slightly. Everyone looks at her, surprised. "I mean, I don't want Camilo styling my hair either."

The shapeshifter whines, falling back onto his chair. You had moved from the kitchen to the living room after eating Mirabel and Antonio's delicious meal. It was a big room, with lots of seats and two huge couches to contain the whole family.

You narrow your eyes, thinking about a way to fix the problem. This only left one solution...

"Alright, then..." you sigh. "Camilo can do my hair, and Isabela will do Mirabel's, and vice-versa. Is it okay ?"

Neither Mirabel nor Isabela look enchanted with this solution, but everything seems better than having Camilo as their hairdresser. They both nod, Isabela rolling her eyes as she makes her way over to Mirabel.

"Hello, (Y/n)." Camilo snickers as he sits next to you, his signature grin plastered on his face. You start to fake cry at the idea of your hair being a mess, still carefully filling Antonio's with flowers.

"Hey, oh, I'll do my best !" the boy starts to panic, slightly upset that nobody wants him to experience on their hair. He was accepted in the sleepover, now everyone would pay the price. You give him a confiant smile, handing him a brush and bows Pepa found after searching through her old stuff. There was plenty, and you only hoped Camilo would not use them all.

Meanwhile, Isabela was having a hard time with Mirabel's hair, and she wasn't refraining from telling her sister.

"Oh, what a mess ! Seriously, do you even brush your hair ?"

"Everyday, Isa. What do you want, not everybody is born perfect like you."

Isabela knew. She knew Mirabel was constantly comparing herself to her, whether it was conscious or not. She did not like it. She did not like her sister thinking everything she had now had been handed to her because of her beauty and gift. She did not like everyone thinking of her as perfect, imposing an image on her. But, most of all, she hated that this image affected her so much that she felt like it was her duty to make everything perfectly when, in fact, it was not possible. Everything could not be perfect everytime she'd touch it. Mirabel's hair, per exemple. She had no idea how to deal with her curls.